I love to read historical books, I have read many books about history The Rise and fall of the Roman Empire, the Rise and Fall of the Third Rite  and several Gram Hancock novels, the book The Miracle of Mysteria  is one of those that keep you on the edge of your seat.

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much for your kind words about the book. It is interesting, that prior to editing this book was even more "historical", with quotations in Latin and so on. We were very lucky to get an amazing editor to work on this book, Thomas Womack. He managed to make the book so much more "up-tempo", but I still miss the paragraphs which gave this book "historicity", even though they probably detracted from the narrative as a whole. Do you think it would make sense to post some of these edited-out pieces on book's site?

Sure why not, after all these passages were part of the book at one time, I think it would be good advertising ND promotion.

REVIEW from Bear Stands Alone : 

Wow!, where do I start, I finished reading the book, it is very good, simply and well written as well as easy to under stand, this is a book for all age groups, not only was it easy to read but it is very descriptive as well, set in the mid 13th century is describes the darks ages and the how wide spread the black plague was  and what many did to try to escape it, and how it effects the lives of all in every town wiping out whole villages and communities leaving ghost towns, through words alone one is transported through  a portal to a time that once was, what a wonderful idea the father had to reenact the passion of Jesus, to honor him to prevent the plague from taking their lives, what a miracle  it was too, the plague never entered the village, too bad the church didn't see it that way, from reliving father Theodor of his position in his church and his flock to how Lother was treated by many after he played the part of Jesus,. If not for the fact that the year and the town is revealed this could have taken place in any small town in America, all in all this is a very good book, I would give two thumbs up

Here is the Prologue which was removed from the final version:

Prologue

This voluminous manuscript was discovered on October 22, 19xx, in the archives of the magistrate of the city of Geneva. In all likelihood, it is the work of Arnold Enke, a doctor of medicine, considered to be one of Geneva's most worthy and devout citizens, who rendered invaluable aid to the city throughout its frequent pandemics, in particular the outbreaks of the black plague. Although Doctor Enke had the good fortune to live to a ripe old age, his final hours were not spent peacefully in bed. Compelled both by his sense of professional duty and his Christian conscience, he traveled to Bern during a cholera outbreak in 1419, to treat the victims there, and ended up succumbing to the disease himself. His last words were: “Ave Crux, triumphator, victoria Christi, Gloria christiani.[1]

Upon presenting you with this translation of his notes, we have taken it upon ourselves to make some stylistic changes to the original transcripts in order to add a dose of dynamism and make the narrative style sound less dated to the modern ear. In all other material aspects the manuscript has been preserved almost without change.

Geneva/Moscow/Atlanta, October 2000-2015

[1] “Long live the triumphant cross, the victory of Christ and the glory of Christians.” (Lat.)

I just finished this book. WOW, It's good to know the history behind this and when the manuscript was found. I think you all did a great job making the book contemporary and easy to read. Well done! I might use some of that in my review.

The Miracle of Mysteria

By Leonid Belov

Published by

ISBN# 978-0-9965513-2-8

131 Pages

ABOUT BOOK: When the Black Death is coming, what can you do—except wait to die? In the year 1348, as the deadliest of all plagues approaches the community of Rundschau in the Swiss Alps, villagers use their last remaining hours to stage the Passion of Christ. As their performance turns into prayer, the village becomes a temple. What happens when the whole community reaches out to God? The miracle of Mysteria—the sacramental and mysterious experience that takes place when people meet God. 

Heaven IS listening... This story is inspired by the real events that took place in the Bavarian village of Oberammergau. The Passion of Christ has been staged there every decade since 1634, when the village was miraculously spared from the bubonic plague. The next performance is scheduled in 2020.

Prologue: This voluminous manuscript was discovered on October 22, 19xx, in the archives of the magistrate of the city of Geneva. In all likelihood, it is the work of Arnold Enke, a doctor of medicine, considered to be one of Geneva's most worthy and devout citizens, who rendered invaluable aid to the city throughout its frequent pandemics, in particular the outbreaks of the black plague. Although Doctor Enke had the good fortune to live to a ripe old age, his final hours were not spent peacefully in bed. Compelled both by his sense of professional duty and his Christian conscience, he traveled to Bern during a cholera outbreak in 1419, to treat the victims there, and ended up succumbing to the disease himself. His last words were: “Ave Crux, triumphator, victoria Christi, Gloria christiani.”[1]

Upon presenting you with this translation of his notes, we have taken it upon ourselves to make some stylistic changes to the original transcripts in order to add a dose of dynamism and make the narrative style sound less dated to the modern ear. In all other material aspects, the manuscript has been preserved almost without change.

REVIEW: A divine intervention, faith, hope, worship and unity messages are packed inside this 131-page novel I found fascinating. In 1348 a small town named Rundschau awaited their fate as they saw an unstoppable plague wipe out cities all around them. “…Already it’s black mask seemed to stare into all our windows.”

The town seemed dead already as they were trapped in the clutches of fear. Then the sound of church bells awakened them. The shepherd of this flock called them together to instill hope and a purpose. Father Theodor Riechmann told his congregation, “We must not lose heart….Death marches through the world like a victorious army of the evil one. Is there anything that might halt this onslaught?”

“I have prayed, wept and beseeched the merciful Lord…in the darkest hours, it dawned on me. “The cross!”…”The gospel’s power! Our weapon of victory over death, our hope of redemption, our gateway to resurrection and eternal life!” …”Therefore our duty is to never lose heart over hell’s apparent triumph, but to resolutely proclaim the Lord’s victory….”

…”The people of Rundschau, who just an hour earlier had filed into the church as if for their own funeral, were now transformed.”…”I heard expressions of excitement from every direction…..How amazing this seemed to me! The danger was still present; the plague lurked silently in our homes, ready to show itself; but our fears had melted away. No longer were we simply waiting to die; we were part of something new and fascinating, a divine act – the Mysteria.”

This was their final finest hour. They would simply enact from the Gospels, line by line, the holy Passion of the Lord to be performed in the streets of Rundschau. They would glorify the Lord with their bodies and voices for all to see. This sparked an excitement in their souls as they had one week to prepare for the performance of their lives. Everyone took this seriously and did their best. Somehow, they gathered an orchestra from other cities which added to the enthusiasm about this event.

None of them expected a divine intervention. No one knew their lives would be changed forever, no one knew they would get a peek at the Glory of the Lord. The man who played Jesus said this to his friend, “…I never imagined anyone could see me like that, understand me like that….I’m still dazed by that kind of love.”

No sooner had this amazing miracle happened to the town and it’s people; the enemy tried to snatch it away. Destroy the works of the divine. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. You’ll be astounded and want to read what happens next and learn what is still happening in the small town of Rundschau! Oh, Wow! This story will encourage your soul.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent

TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org

The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Book Fun Magazine https://tinyurl.com/y9lwbfrs

SVP Promotion 

Posted it on Amazon, Goodreads, Blog FB etc.

My review for this book. I enjoyed reading the notes from Tower of Harmony regarding the history. Thank you for sharing and for the copy of the ebook.

The Miracle of Mysteria by Leonid Belov is based on true events that occurred in the mid-1300s when the Black Plague ravaged Europe. Tucked into the mountains of Switzerland a small village begins to hear of the ever-encroaching plague that has begun to bring death to all in its wake. The priest and spiritual father of the people of Rundschau wants to alleviate fear and bring peace and comfort to his parishioners. He suggests a re-enactment of the passion of Christ and the people agree. As they prepare and execute this performance, lives are changed and the people are spared from the death of the plague. With a first-hand account of a young harness-maker, readers are given a glimpse of the faith and the power of God's Word. The story flows well and keeps interest high as readers see the surprising repercussions of the Mysteria and the changes in the community and the participants. It is an inspiring novella that reminds one of the mystery of the Cross, a place where Heaven and earth intersect, where God gave His life as a man to bring hope and redemption. It is a reminder that "We must, at the least, keep our faith and hope, even unto death."

Thanks for your review Anne! This was a powerful read!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Another Important Poll

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service