ABOUT AUTHOR: Nancy Herriman abandoned a career in Engineering to chase around two small children and take up the pen. She hasn’t looked back. The Irish Healer is her debut novel. When she is not writing, or gabbing over lattes about writing, she is either watching history shows on cable TV or singing. She lives in the Midwest with her husband and sons, and wishes there were more hours in the day. You can learn more at her website, www.nancyherriman.com, where you will also find a link to the opening chapter of The Irish Healer and a book trailer.

If you participate in social media, please join her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Author.NancyHerrimanor on Twitter (@Nancy_Herriman).

ABOUT THE BOOK: The Irish Healer:

Acquitted of murdering a child under her care, Irish healer Rachel Dunne flees the ensuing scandal and vows to never sit at another sickbed. She no longer trusts in her abilities—or God’s mercy. When a cholera epidemic sweeps through London, though, she is forced to nurse the dying daughter of the enigmatic physician she has come to love. James Edmunds, wearied by the deaths of too many patients, has his own doubts about God’s grace. Together, they will have to face their darkest fears...and learn what it means to have real faith.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE QUESTIONS BELOW TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING.

Q1:

The Irish Healer opens with the heroine, Rachel Dunne, fleeing scandal and leaving the only home she’s ever known--Carlow, Ireland--for a new life in London.

In what situation have you found yourself needing to start over? Rachel relies on her inner strength and the support of her cousin to try to cope with the upheaval in her life. What or who (besides God) did you rely on to cope?

Q2:

A major theme of The Irish Healer is handling doubt in the face of adversity. Both the hero, Dr. James Edmunds, and Rachel struggle with their faith as they are forced to confront disease, death, and their own personal wounds during the 1832 cholera epidemic.

Most of us have encountered difficulties, such as illness or the loss of a job or other misfortune, in our lives. Do you have a favorite Bible verse or prayer you turn to when experiencing hardship or loss?

********DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING August 22nd*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN by August 26th

Views: 698

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely!

I just started over after 43 years of marriage and the only person I've got to depend on is myself.

Hopefully you find that you can rely upon God's strength, too. Best to you. That must be very hard.

I love the Psalms. Psalm 23, etc. are so comforting and remind us we are not alone.

Well, I am confused as to what I did wrong...I answered the question about my favorite verse the night (here in Alaska it comes out LATE night early am with the time change) it was posted. But when I came back to see if the Author had written anything, left a question, etc. for me....my answer is nowhere to be found!! Somehow it didn't take when I hit add reply so I guess I am out of the running for this book but I still want to leave my favorite verse.

I'm going to write this as close to what I wrote before as I can...My name is Audrey which means Noble Strength. Because of the things I have been through in my life, I have never felt very Noble or Strong. (Sexual Abuse from 12-16, marriage at 18 that turned into an ugly abusive 12yrs with a drunk for a husband, who left me when I got pregnant, Surgery and almost death for me and baby, single Mom for 3 yrs., Finally married wonderful Christian man only to have back to back cancers and pregnancies along with other health issues that have totaled 13 surgeries and 3 1/2 yrs in bed now!)  So NOT feeling so very noble and strong! 

What does this have to do with my life verse?? My Mom, Sisters, friends, husband..they all have beautiful, meaningful verses that tell such a wonderful story. I have always wanted a verse like that! My name being Audrey I have often been called Aud, Mom called me AudBall for years...I kept praying and asking God to give me a "GOOD" life's verse. But every time someone asked me what my verse was my mind would go completely blank except for 1 verse. Eccl. 9:10 "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might..." WHAT?? My life's verse is WORK HARD!!!??? 

Yep, I have read and researched and found beautiful verses that I love and "decided" that This is my new life verse! Then worked hard and memorized it, quoted it, wrote it down...and the next time I need my life verse, all I can think of to save my life is Eccl. 9:10!! God has such a sense of humor! 

So at 39yrs of age, I finally realized that God had my parents name me Audrey "Noble Strength", that yes I am a bit of an AudBall, and I look at things a little Aud, My life verse is Eccl. 9:10 "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might..." because He knew I would not have an easy life and He knew I would need strength and hard work and determination to survive!

What a beautiful verse. Thanks SO much for sharing it. It sounds like you've lived it, for certain!

And I'm sorry you missed the deadline - maybe next time! ;-)

Most of us have encountered difficulties, such as illness or the loss of a job or other misfortune, in our lives. Do you have a favorite Bible verse or prayer you turn to when experiencing hardship or loss?

When I was fifteen, six friends and relatives abruptly passed away during a nine month time period.  Their sudden passing left me shaken, feeling like my world, as I knew it, had tilted.  My grief caused me to really question what I believed, and to delve into the Bible for answers. That led me to a deeper faith in God through Jesus Christ. During my time of Bible study I found the verse "and the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ. " Philippians 4:7.  That spoke to me and I really held on to it.  When things were very hard, I would pray for the peace of God.  I have held on to that prayer during other times of loss and loss of people since then.

When I was very busy with an active toddler 19 years ago, I suddenly became very sick with a mysterious illness.  Instead of it going away, it became chronic and symptoms have increased.  Every day chores and life became extremely difficult, if not impossible.  It has been a desperate time, with lots of disappointingly unsuccessful treatments, chronic pain and financial loss. 

Although I finally got a diagnosis 5 years ago, I have had it so long, and so much damage has been done to my body, it is difficult to treat.  At the beginning of this journey of illness, God brought to mind this verse:  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11.  That verse gives me hope, especially when things seem hopeless. 

I hang onto both these verses to help me through the hard things of life.

Nancy I read with interest that you had a degree in Engineering.  My son is currently working towards an Engineering degree.  Did you always have an interest in writing, or did your involvement in engineering bring that out?  Just curious because of my son's involvement in the field.  :>)

I ALWAYS had an interest in writing. Working as an engineer did not, sadly, encourage me to write (and I still have to work hard to shake off my desire to write quickly and succinctly!). Good luck to him! 

The situation I have found myself starting over is just having finished a 12 yr commitment of care taking aging inlaws.  While my sons and husband have been so helpful, there was only so much they could actually do.  We are amazed at God's goodness to have our marriage and family thriving even during the harshest of times.  What I relied on was my husband, and girlfriend.  My husband and I did walk through this together, and God helped us learn so many things and making time to talk through everything.  My girlfriend did Bible studies with me, prayed for me, met weekly with me, listened, was at the funerals, etc.  I know she doesn't judge me, she points me to Christ, and she gives her heart to me.  She gives me time to listen to her, pray for her, so that during this time it isn't one sided or burdensome to either of us.  Now we work as a team to call others to walk close to God and with each other especially during tying times.

12 years is a very long time. You are blessed to have had the support of your husband and friend...and your faith. 

in my marriage

I want to thank EVERYONE for their wonderful and thoughtful responses to my questions! You guys are great.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service