Pamela is also giving away this cookbook

ABOUT AUTHOR: PAMELA EWEN: After practicing law for twenty-five years in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen exchanged her partnership in the law firm of BakerBotts, L.L.P. for a full time writing career. She now lives in Mandeville, Louisiana.  Her most recent novel Chasing the Wind, published by B&H Publishing Group in Nashville, was released on August 1, 2012

Pamela is the author of five books published by B&H Publishing Group, including Faith on Trial (a non-fiction book of apologetics in 1999), and the novels Walk Back the Cat, recently re-released in 2010 with a new title as Secret of the Shroud in connection with a rare public exhibition of the Shroud in Turin, Italy, The Moon in the Mango Tree, (2008) ( a 2009 Christy Award Finalist), Dancing on Glass (2011) ( a 2012 Christy Award Finalist, and winner of a Single Titles Reviewers Choice Award. )The Moon in the Mango Tree was also recently honored as winner of the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award given by the National League of American Pen Women in their Biennial Celebration.

Pamela’s  fiction writing grows out of her faith journey which eventually resulted in her non-fiction book of apologetics, Faith on Trial , published by B&H in 1999.  Although written for non-lawyers, together with Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ, Faith On Trial was chosen as a text for a course on law and religion at Yale Law School in the spring of 2000. Pamela is also featured in the  film Jesus:Fact or Fiction produced by Campus Crusade for Christ. An updated second edition of Faith on Trial containing a new study guide is scheduled for release by B&H  in the fall of 2013.

While practicing law Pamela served on the board of directors of Inprint, Inc., a non-profit organization supporting the literary arts in Houston, Texas. Pamela has also served on the board of directors of the New Orleans Pirate’s Alley Faulkner Society and she is currently a member of the Board of Directors of The Tennessee Williams Festival in New Orleans. In 2007 she co-founded the Northshore Literary Society. Pamela received the St. Tammany Parish President’s Arts Award as Literary Artist of the Year in 2009.  

ABOUT CHASING THE WIND:At 8:47 A.M. on Wednesday, October 12, 1977, new-to-town businessman Bingham Murdock flew his small plane into New Orleans, banking it in such a way that a ray of sunshine shot through the city at light speed.

Amalise Catoir saw the flash from her sixteenth floor law office window. Finally feeling alive after the death of her abusive husband, she imagined seeing the plane was a fate for her eyes only; a special connection between the unknown giver and she, the recipient of light.

But someone else saw it, a six-year-old Cambodian refugee in foster care for whom a sudden burst of brightness reminds him of artillery fire.

Destined to cross paths with the man and the child, Amalise doesn’t yet know the deeper spiritual lesson she will learn: that we are responsible not only for the things we do, but also for the things that we don’t.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING.

First question - How many of you have ever been to Mardi Gras? There is a surprise inside a Mardi Gras king cake. It's a tiny plastic baby doll. Whoever gets the slice with the baby has to throw then next king cake party. If you've been have any of you gotten the doll? DId you have to throw the next King Cake Party? If so how did that work out?

Second question: In Chasing the Wind Amalse Catoir is a young woman lawyer practicing in New Orleans. The first thing she had to tackle was getting a credit card. Women couldn't get them then w/o a male co-signer. What do you think the hardest thing women have to face today?

Third question: How many of you have ever been to New Orleans? What did you like best about your visit? What surprised you? Any of you want to go but haven't? What do you want to see there?

Fourth question: Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

********DISCLAIMEREntering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING August 30th*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN by September 3rd.

Views: 680

Replies to This Discussion

Question 2:  I think the hardest thing women face today is judgment from society and the expectation that we should be able "to do it all" and have no trouble doing it!  With more women in the full time work force, they are still expected to keep a meticulous house, always have clean laundry, cook all meals and clean up, have perfectly behaved children and keep themselves up too - keep in shape and manage weight, dress sharply in designer clothes, have the best hair cut and always wear makeup.

This is completely unrealistic - and yet, we blame ourselves when we don't live up to an impossible perception of what is expected of us. 

So, the hardest thing for women is to *know* these expectations ..... but realize they are not possible to achieve and therefore, keep their eyes on Jesus and only live to please Him.  Regardless of what others expect - live in the freedom that Jesus loves us just the way we are and He is the only one we need to please!

Brenda Shaw

Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions because I have never been to Mardi Gras or New Orleans. I would love to win the books though. Thanks for entering me in your contest.

I believe one of the hardest things women still have to face today is equal pay for the same job as a man both with the same qualifications. I know in the field of nursing this is still a problem. It seems that a woman has to prove herself before that pay actually is equal, especially in the upper management positions.

Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of "Chasing the Wind."

Blessings to you.

Fourth question: Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

I loved Jumbalaya and Gumbo.  I love the spice and I just love everything about those two dishes. Just typing about it is making my mouth water. =]

Pamela, I've been to Mardi Gras having lived in Bogalusa. I've eaten King Cake but never rec'd the doll. I love Mr. B's softshell crab. The chickory coffee is something I never developed a taste for unless I put cream and sugar in it. (I'm an avid java queen...drinking it black). We eat alot of gumbo at our house (boiled egg and all)...thanks for the chance to win!

I hardly know which of these questions to answer! When I was 8 years old we moved from Atlanta to New Orleans. It was in March and we stayed in a hotel on St. Charles Ave. because our house was still under construction in Metairie. Guess what was going on....Mardi Gras! I had never heard of it but entered right into the spirit. I remember my dad putting me up on his shoulders so I could catch more trinkets...I thought it was the greatest thing ever!
I'll talk about the food, too. The food in NOLA is soooo good! Two things my mom learned to make during the years we lived there were red beans and rice and fresh deviled crab, baked in crab shells. It has been some years since I was last in New Orleans, but the food, the streetcars, Lake Ponchartrain, and did I mention the food, are among things I remember most fondly. Would love to read your book, and as a church librarian, would share it as well!

My husband and I were members of a motorcycle ministry and rode down to Key West for their "Mardi Gras" every Sept. for years.  It is because of those experiences that we really have never had a desire to go to New Orleans Mardi gras.  As a christian we felt unless your going to the Mardi gras with a ministry or God lead it is not a place honoring Him.  Would love someday to visit New Orleans just to see the French Quarter.  I would like to see the streets and to invision what it would be like to have lived there so long ago.

I love jambalaya! The mixture of rice and all the goodies with spice :-) a favorite for sure.

1. I have never been to Mardi Gras but do know about the tiny baby doll in the king cake.

2. I think there is still unequal pay for same type of job as a male and maybe in the political field.

3. I have never been to New Orleans. Would love to go and see all the sites and resturants. 

4. Have not eaten any of the food favorites from New Orleans but a cook book would be a good  way to start.

Thanks for the chance to win.

Yes I have been there many times. The food surprised me the most. It is so good.

I think sometimes alot of ladies don't get reconized as Pastors. Some people think women can't be preachers.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service