Pamela is also giving away this cookbook

ABOUT AUTHOR: PAMELA EWEN: After practicing law for twenty-five years in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen exchanged her partnership in the law firm of BakerBotts, L.L.P. for a full time writing career. She now lives in Mandeville, Louisiana.  Her most recent novel Chasing the Wind, published by B&H Publishing Group in Nashville, was released on August 1, 2012

Pamela is the author of five books published by B&H Publishing Group, including Faith on Trial (a non-fiction book of apologetics in 1999), and the novels Walk Back the Cat, recently re-released in 2010 with a new title as Secret of the Shroud in connection with a rare public exhibition of the Shroud in Turin, Italy, The Moon in the Mango Tree, (2008) ( a 2009 Christy Award Finalist), Dancing on Glass (2011) ( a 2012 Christy Award Finalist, and winner of a Single Titles Reviewers Choice Award. )The Moon in the Mango Tree was also recently honored as winner of the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award given by the National League of American Pen Women in their Biennial Celebration.

Pamela’s  fiction writing grows out of her faith journey which eventually resulted in her non-fiction book of apologetics, Faith on Trial , published by B&H in 1999.  Although written for non-lawyers, together with Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ, Faith On Trial was chosen as a text for a course on law and religion at Yale Law School in the spring of 2000. Pamela is also featured in the  film Jesus:Fact or Fiction produced by Campus Crusade for Christ. An updated second edition of Faith on Trial containing a new study guide is scheduled for release by B&H  in the fall of 2013.

While practicing law Pamela served on the board of directors of Inprint, Inc., a non-profit organization supporting the literary arts in Houston, Texas. Pamela has also served on the board of directors of the New Orleans Pirate’s Alley Faulkner Society and she is currently a member of the Board of Directors of The Tennessee Williams Festival in New Orleans. In 2007 she co-founded the Northshore Literary Society. Pamela received the St. Tammany Parish President’s Arts Award as Literary Artist of the Year in 2009.  

ABOUT CHASING THE WIND:At 8:47 A.M. on Wednesday, October 12, 1977, new-to-town businessman Bingham Murdock flew his small plane into New Orleans, banking it in such a way that a ray of sunshine shot through the city at light speed.

Amalise Catoir saw the flash from her sixteenth floor law office window. Finally feeling alive after the death of her abusive husband, she imagined seeing the plane was a fate for her eyes only; a special connection between the unknown giver and she, the recipient of light.

But someone else saw it, a six-year-old Cambodian refugee in foster care for whom a sudden burst of brightness reminds him of artillery fire.

Destined to cross paths with the man and the child, Amalise doesn’t yet know the deeper spiritual lesson she will learn: that we are responsible not only for the things we do, but also for the things that we don’t.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING.

First question - How many of you have ever been to Mardi Gras? There is a surprise inside a Mardi Gras king cake. It's a tiny plastic baby doll. Whoever gets the slice with the baby has to throw then next king cake party. If you've been have any of you gotten the doll? DId you have to throw the next King Cake Party? If so how did that work out?

Second question: In Chasing the Wind Amalse Catoir is a young woman lawyer practicing in New Orleans. The first thing she had to tackle was getting a credit card. Women couldn't get them then w/o a male co-signer. What do you think the hardest thing women have to face today?

Third question: How many of you have ever been to New Orleans? What did you like best about your visit? What surprised you? Any of you want to go but haven't? What do you want to see there?

Fourth question: Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

********DISCLAIMEREntering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING August 30th*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN by September 3rd.

Views: 683

Replies to This Discussion

Third question: How many of you have ever been to New Orleans? What did you like best about your visit? What surprised you? Any of you want to go but haven't? What do you want to see there?

I visited New Orleans in late 60's before Camille came through and destroyed so much of French Quarter.  I loved the food and the donuts and other goodies, were my fav, since I love sweets.  I was fasinated by the homes in the French Quarter. Just walking down the streets and listening to the music was great. Also visited so many other places and have always wanted to go back.  I have never been during Mardi Gras nor heard of the baby in the cake.  That is cute.  Thanks for the opportunity to enter giveaway.

That second question brings back memories. When my husband and I were married (35 years ago), I knew I needed to establish credit in my own name. We went to a furniture store to buy an arm chair and said we wanted to buy it using my credit. I had a good job, but we had to go above the salesman's head and talk to the manager and really INSIST that we were only going to buy it using credit based on my salary. And I remember my mother having trouble renting a car. I haven't experienced any problems like these in years. But there are still times, professionally, when I'm the only woman in the room!

Today, I think there are many women who are single parents.  I am very

fortunate to have raised two wonderful sons with my husband~  To me,

being a single parent would be very possible, but difficult.

Many thanks, Cindi

jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

#4 I enjoyed the Red Bean and Rice while visiting New Orleans, it tasted better down there than what I buy in Wisconsin.

3) I would love to visit New Orleans but have never been able to. I would love to see the architecture, taste the food I've heard so much about and meet the people who live there.

I don't know anyone that lives in NO, but I love to eat cajun chicken.

Question #1:  I've never been to Mardi Gras, but I hope to go someday.

Question #3:  I've never been to New Orleans, but it's definitely on my bucket list.  I want to see the architecture of the older parts of the city, and being primarily a food blogger, I want to eat my way through the city.  LOL

Question #4:  I love, love, LOVE jambalaya!  Whether it's in a restaurant or I'm making it myself at home, it's one of my favorite foods.  But I love Cajun food in general, as well.  I haven't had as much experience with Creole cuisine.

One of the hardest things women have to face is the stigma of 'staying home with your children' instead of seeking a career.   Too many men and women look down on the women who choose to be at home with their kids!  

I've never been to New Orleans and don't know too much about it. I did hear that the hurricane has hit there now today, and I hope everyone is safe and it doesn't do much damage.

Answering #4.......No, haven't been to New Orleans , a contest to go would be great :) Can't say I've eaten any New Orleans Food either.....my favorite food is MEXICAN then CHINESE.......but I would definitely try New Orleans food if I ever have a chance...

Question 2  I think one of the harder things that some women face today is that they wait a long time to marry and have children. When they are finally to the point of being ready for children, they may have been beat by the biological clock. The situation is not helped by so many men being noncommittal toward getting married. Of course there are many who settle for having children out-of-wedlock and that is another difficult thing for women, and children, too.

It would be a blessing to win your book. Thank you for sharing with us here. I love cookbooks, too.

Joyfully abiding, Janice

I visited New Orleans right after graduation from high school.  My brother, who could take a wrecked car and put it back together again, offered to let my girlfriend and I visit New Orleans.  Much to my surprise, my mother consented.  My friend could not drive but we did not care because we were off to New Orleans.  We left North Little Rock,AR in a convertible - color was peach (top was brown).  We were off!  We had made reservations at a motel in N.O. and did not have the slightest idea how to find it.  Betty,my friend, saw a regular city bus.  We decided to follow it and so we did.  Believe it or not. We wound up at our motel (miracle).  Betty saw the sign, we pulled in, and here we were....2 young girls just out of high school.  I worked for a tile company and we had connections by my employer.  Both of us were scared to death because of everything we had heard about New Orleans.  We barred the motel door but the next day off we went to see New Orleans.  

We went to the French Quarters and walked all around.  We saw the artists, the strip clubs which we were not going to, and saw a preacher's office in the area.  Decided right then we sure needed to pray for him as he would witness to people both who lived there and visited the area.    Wow!  Two young girls got a bit of an education.

We loved the pralines and still do.  We wanted to have our picture painted by some of the artists but did not have enough money.  People who met us in a cab wanted us to take the night tour but we were too scared to try that one.  The people in my office had arranged for me to meet someone in one of the famous restaurants.  We were privileged to go all over this restaurant.  They took us in the wine cellar and also showed us the costumes worn by ladies in the Mardi Gras.  It was such fun.  A fiction book was written about this famous restaurant and someone spilled some red wine on their clothes which was a sign that a death would occur.  (Antonio's???)...

We loved all the food and especially the pralines.  It was a great time!

A funny thing happened to us when we were going to the park.  The muffler dropped down and we were dragging it on this 4-way street.  My friend said she would handle it.  She jumped out of the car, grabbed the muffler and juggled it all the way for a block and a half.  Just imagine all the laughs we got at 4 p.m. on the main street.  Got that fixed and finally got to the park.  We got lost and saw another bus.  After following it to the Marine Base, we decided we had to find another way out.  Finally we stopped and asked someone to help us.

People were so nice to us and helped us along the way whenever we got into situations.

We took the steamboat tour and had a great time.  Loved all the history and there were so many people around us who talked in different languages.  However, it was just great.  We got a lot of history and learned how goods coming into the U.S.A. from other countries were stopped and inspected before landing.  

My husband and I later went back to N.O.  He enjoyed it too.  However, one thing we were totally unsure of after  walking into a restaurant in the French Quarter.....white table cloths, etc.  No one asked us what we wanted.  The food was just brought to us.  It was good but it they just served us.  Is that customary?

As you can see, I really enjoyed the visit.  (Took my mother and another friend before I married).  

I will say that I would never in this day and time ever let two girls our age go alone.  However, people were so nice and they all just took care of us.  It was so much fun!  A memorial trip for us.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service