Pamela is also giving away this cookbook

ABOUT AUTHOR: PAMELA EWEN: After practicing law for twenty-five years in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen exchanged her partnership in the law firm of BakerBotts, L.L.P. for a full time writing career. She now lives in Mandeville, Louisiana.  Her most recent novel Chasing the Wind, published by B&H Publishing Group in Nashville, was released on August 1, 2012

Pamela is the author of five books published by B&H Publishing Group, including Faith on Trial (a non-fiction book of apologetics in 1999), and the novels Walk Back the Cat, recently re-released in 2010 with a new title as Secret of the Shroud in connection with a rare public exhibition of the Shroud in Turin, Italy, The Moon in the Mango Tree, (2008) ( a 2009 Christy Award Finalist), Dancing on Glass (2011) ( a 2012 Christy Award Finalist, and winner of a Single Titles Reviewers Choice Award. )The Moon in the Mango Tree was also recently honored as winner of the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award given by the National League of American Pen Women in their Biennial Celebration.

Pamela’s  fiction writing grows out of her faith journey which eventually resulted in her non-fiction book of apologetics, Faith on Trial , published by B&H in 1999.  Although written for non-lawyers, together with Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ, Faith On Trial was chosen as a text for a course on law and religion at Yale Law School in the spring of 2000. Pamela is also featured in the  film Jesus:Fact or Fiction produced by Campus Crusade for Christ. An updated second edition of Faith on Trial containing a new study guide is scheduled for release by B&H  in the fall of 2013.

While practicing law Pamela served on the board of directors of Inprint, Inc., a non-profit organization supporting the literary arts in Houston, Texas. Pamela has also served on the board of directors of the New Orleans Pirate’s Alley Faulkner Society and she is currently a member of the Board of Directors of The Tennessee Williams Festival in New Orleans. In 2007 she co-founded the Northshore Literary Society. Pamela received the St. Tammany Parish President’s Arts Award as Literary Artist of the Year in 2009.  

ABOUT CHASING THE WIND:At 8:47 A.M. on Wednesday, October 12, 1977, new-to-town businessman Bingham Murdock flew his small plane into New Orleans, banking it in such a way that a ray of sunshine shot through the city at light speed.

Amalise Catoir saw the flash from her sixteenth floor law office window. Finally feeling alive after the death of her abusive husband, she imagined seeing the plane was a fate for her eyes only; a special connection between the unknown giver and she, the recipient of light.

But someone else saw it, a six-year-old Cambodian refugee in foster care for whom a sudden burst of brightness reminds him of artillery fire.

Destined to cross paths with the man and the child, Amalise doesn’t yet know the deeper spiritual lesson she will learn: that we are responsible not only for the things we do, but also for the things that we don’t.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING.

First question - How many of you have ever been to Mardi Gras? There is a surprise inside a Mardi Gras king cake. It's a tiny plastic baby doll. Whoever gets the slice with the baby has to throw then next king cake party. If you've been have any of you gotten the doll? DId you have to throw the next King Cake Party? If so how did that work out?

Second question: In Chasing the Wind Amalse Catoir is a young woman lawyer practicing in New Orleans. The first thing she had to tackle was getting a credit card. Women couldn't get them then w/o a male co-signer. What do you think the hardest thing women have to face today?

Third question: How many of you have ever been to New Orleans? What did you like best about your visit? What surprised you? Any of you want to go but haven't? What do you want to see there?

Fourth question: Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

********DISCLAIMEREntering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING August 30th*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN by September 3rd.

Views: 695

Replies to This Discussion

Hard questions as I have not been anywhere near New Orleans.  The hardest thing women face today is Social Security.  It is still unfair.  When you go to draw yours, they count everything about your husband against you.  I lost my medical even though I am disabled just because my husband retired and draws Social Security.  He gets not much more than when he worked but it has hit me hard having rhuemotoid arthritis and being on expensive meds.  Also a lot of women are cheated out of their husband's social security when they he dies do to having some of their own even if they would get more by drawing their husbands. 

A baby doll in a cake? Now that's a story I'd like to hear the origins of!

I didn't know that about credit cards. The things we take for granted today. (Although my husband is joking that it sounds like a smart idea to him. ;) I think women can have a hard time being taken seriously and treated with respect - but society doesn't really help that with playing into the stereotypes of blondes and ditsy shoppers and so on.

Oh - and there's a restaurant where my in-laws live that claims to make New Orleans gumbo (with sausage, rice, okra and some other things). I don't know how authentic it is, but it's to die for!

I think women today the thing they have to over come really is the stigma of the past mixed with  the image I think that sometimes women in general have to over come their selves over all

I have never been to new orleans but would love to go but iw ould love to see the french quarter go on aghost  tour visit historical places more so then anything else

I enjoy jumbelia (spelling) havent ate much from new orleans but id give anything a chance

I have been to New Orleans and I loved it! The French Quarter was so beautiful and I loved all the historical buildings. I could have done without Bourbon Street though, in hind sight that may have been a bad idea on my part.

All 4 of these are not easy  for me to give an answer, since I've never been to Mardi gras, and no desire to go. I haven't been to New Orleans.  About whats hardest for women, I think its not easy to tend the kids, keep the housework done, cook,etc., and,most have to hold jobs to help with expenses.  It's not easy!  I like steak, B-B-Q ribs,fried shrimp, and plain food like potatoes and gravy.  I would guess they eat lots of Shrimp in New Oleans.

Please enter me to try to win this book.

I've never attended a Mardi Gras but it sounds like a fun experience. This is the first I've heard of the king cake as well but if I do attend that's one event I would look for.

I haven't been to New Orleans...my husband has. I have wanted to go, but the closest I got was Monroe, LA. to visit his Grandmother before she died. My husband's dad is Louisiana Cajun and even though he married an Alaskan girl and stayed and raised their 6 kids here in Alaska, they did a very good job of blending the two cultures so the foods they eat are a combination of Gumbo, Tomato Gravy, Etouffee, Jambalaya and Cornbread from Dad mixed with Spinach Pie, Fry Bread, Perok (fish & rice pie), Smoked Salmon...

Living in Alaska for 27 yrs I have learned the Alaskan native foods but I am just not that good at the New Orleans food. So when we want GOOD Cajun food we have to go to my 74yr old Father-in-law's and he makes it for us. I keep trying, and my husband said my Gumbo was better this last time!! YAY!

I think I am way off track. I get that way when I start talking food and cooking. My favorite food would be Craw-fish Etouffee!! YUMMY

As a woman, the hardest thing for me has been my recent divorce. The court system let me down, he refused to give any of the required documents and being disabled, I'm not able to work. When he walked out last fall, the neighbors felt they couldn't help me even for a ride to the store. I had been in an abusive marriage for over 20 years.

I guess what really surprised me is that when I called the police, there wasn't anything they could do. The city attorney said my now ex husband would have had to say he was going to kill me in order to get a restraining order. I know now why women aren't wiling to report these cases.

I have learned God provides when its time that we need Him. I don't know ahead of time what will happen, but time and time again, He brought someone to take me to the doctor or get groceries or take me to get my medicines. I know He will take care of me even though I received no support and my disability check is small. I keep praising Jesus for His constant help!

Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

i don't know really what they eat in new orleans but i'm not super adventerous with food either since i'm kinda picky. haha my favorite food is asian food and i don't know if they even do that in new orleans or what.

Hope you are ok during this stormy weather

.  I have been to New Orleans several times and my favorite food is banana foster where the sauce is caught on fire.  I loved the presentation at the table and afterwards the dessert was great.  Special memories.  I also loved those little donuts, can't think of the name, and chickory coffee that New Orleans is fmous for.  Wish  I had all of them right now.  Would love to win the cookbook and try to cook some of these delights.

I think the harder thing women face today is the fact that if you are unmarried and alone and have just women friends people think the worst of you. Also if you have a baby and are not married and the father leaves you they also thank the worse of you. The thing I find the hardest as a women is our house is in my husband's name so I cannot really do to much to change passwords on the accounts and things like that even through I am on the one who pays the bills and etc. I hate the privacy laws. My husband has even told them I can change anything I need to

I think the hardest thing women face today is trying to compete with men for jobs, and getting equal pay. I also would like to see a Woman President.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service