***** REVIEWS FOR WHITAKER HOUSE: SUMMER ON SUNSET RIDGE BY SHARLENE MACLAREN - 20 PAPERBACKS (US ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 1.18.17

Sponsored by Whitaker House   #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (320 pages):

Brought up on a Quaker farm near Philadelphia at the brink of the Civil War, plainspoken Rebecca Albright is expected to be charitable, peace-loving, and submissive. However, those traits don't always come naturally to the feisty abolitionist. Spirited and spunky, Rebecca's chief ambition is to aid the Underground Railroad no matter the cost - until her path collides with slave-catcher Sheriff Clay Dalton who's grimly fighting battles of his own. When tensions between the North and South escalate, the two find themselves propelled on a journey to discover just who God has called them to be and to determine whether their newfound friendship can stand up to a myriad of conflicts.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Born and raised in western Michigan, Sharlene MacLaren attended Spring Arbor University, earning a degree in elementary teaching. In 1975, she married one of her childhood friends, and together they raised two lovely daughters. Now happily retired from 31 years of teaching,"Shar" enjoys reading, singing, traveling, and spending time with her husband, children, and precious grandchildren.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Carrie Gould Donna McGinnis
Nyla Kay Wilkerson Sharon Paavola
Victoria Brinius Carol Smith
Pamela  Mary Arndt
Joan Arning Jacqueline Robertson
Deana Dick Janice Sisemore
Penny Marks Joan Nienhuis
Victoria Pless Vickie Jameson
Cheri Swalwell Connie Saunders
Gee Dixon Sonnetta Jones

Views: 236

Replies to This Discussion

Summer on Sunset Ridge by Sharlene MacLaren is book one in the Forever Freedom Series.  This is the  first novel of hers that I have read, but it certainly will not be the last.  This novel is set near Philadelphia at the beginning of the Civil War.  The central family lives on a Quaker farm and is involved in aiding the Underground Railroad. 

Plainspoken Rebecca Albright, whose parents have dutifully arranged a suitable marriage to a man that they deem to be a good provider—one in whom Rebecca has no interest or regard, is determined to aid the Underground Railroad movement.  Sheriff Clay Dalton, whose life is also rather conflicted concerning his understood engagement to a spoiled, wealthy young woman who has directed the whole courtship with little thought to their vast differences, suspects that he may not be making the correct choice.

Clay’s pursuit of an escaped slave who killed a man, an injury and amnesia, a prolonged recovery, and a mutual attraction between a sheriff with possible ties to the South and perhaps commitment to a woman there and a pretty, young Quaker woman whose beliefs and determination to help in the Underground Railroad presents an engaging and entertaining story.

I recommend this book that I received through TBCN in exchange for an honest review.  This Christian romance will not disappoint.  (posted on Amazon, Good Reads, Christian Books, Deeper Shopping, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million)

I apologize for the delay in reading and posting a review.  I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful book.

Summer on Sunset Ridge by Sharlene Maclaren was a very enjoyable read. It is set just before the Civil War. Rebecca Dalton is a Quaker young lady and an abolitionist who is determined to do her part to aid the Underground Railroad. Her parents have arranged a marriage that she is not agreeable to, but Quaker children are not supposed to buck their parents’ authority so she's trying very hard to accept the arranged marriage. One night, Rebecca sneaks out of the house and follows her father as he goes to help some runaway slaves on their road to freedom. What happens next will change the lives of Rebecca and her family forever.

I received a copy of this book from Whitaker House and TBCN in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review. This review has been posted on Goodreads, Facebook, Books-A-Million, Barnes & Noble, Christian Book Distributors, Deeper Shopping, Kobo and Amazon.

A great book. 

My review. 

Summer on Sunset Ridge

This book reminded me a little of the John Wayne movie, Angel and the bad man. Loved that movie and loved this book. Of course , this book is a lot different. Clay is shot and also hits his head and gets a concussion and memory loss. Rebecca and her family who are Quakers. Rebecca and Clay story is so inspiring. Loved the history in the book, set in the middle 1800’s. I received this book from the book club network.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service