***** REVIEWS FOR WHITAKER HOUSE: HOPE IT'S NOT HERIDITARY: THE MOSTLY TRUE STORIES OF MY FATHER, BOB HARTLEY BY JEDIDIAH HARTLEY - 20 PB (US ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 8-27-15

Sponsored by Whitaker House:  #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (208 pages): They say that truth is stranger than fiction, and the phrase has never been more relevant than in reference to Bob Hartley. His inimitable wit, outspoken demeanor, ambitious attitude, and utter lack of concern with the way others perceive him have created a tidal wave of God's grace, leaving a wake of tall tales wherever he goes. As his son, I have been greatly impacted by his many stories. My father has endured a life filled with painful challenges, many of them self-induced. And yet, after all that he's been through, he remains dedicated to proclaiming the hope he has found in an amazing God. This is not a biography but rather a collection of stories that illustrate the many life lessons my father has learned, often the hard way. Never one to sweep his mistakes under the rug, explain them away, or blame them on others, my father has embraced his errors, learned from them, and shared them with me, so that I might build my life on the same hope he has found and fought for. My aim in writing this book has been to capture the heart of my father's incredible stories and to share them so that they might impact you in the same way they have impacted me.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Jedidiah Hartley is an author and screenwriter based out of Kansas City, Missouri. A graduate of Youth With A Mission's University of the Nations, Jedidiah has been extensively involved in mission work for the past several years. Before his recent move back to Kansas City, he was the associate producer of a production company called Chosen and Dearly Loved, where he assisted in the creation of materials that were used to raise funds and build awareness to benefit orphans with special needs. His father, Bob Hartley, is a business owner and the founder of Deeper Waters, an international ministry based in Kansas City, Missouri. Bob is a frequent speaker to businesspeople and ministries throughout America and the world. He believes he has been given a lifelong call from the Lord to bring the hope–filled kingdom of God into the marketplace and the church.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Joan Nienhuis Patsy Glans
Deana Dick Kathy Schemmel
Victoria Brinius Paulette Thomas
Susan P Nyla Kay Wilkerson
Sonnetta Jones Deanna Stevens
Kim Napier Mary Hake
Ramona McDavid Joan 
Virginia Winfield Karen Dean
Sarah Goldman Cecelia Lester
Joan Boxell L. Cherie Kasper
Robbi Bourne Connie Saunders
Vickie Jameson Victor Gentile
Janice Sisemore Amy Smelser
Diane Higgins

Views: 311

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!  Sorry for the delay in posting this.  My computer was out of order.

I Hope It’s Not Hereditary by Jedidiah Hartley is a collection of short stories about his father, Bob Hartley. These stranger-than-fiction stories are certainly entertaining.  You will find yourself wondering what it must have been like to live in a house with Bob Hartley as the man in charge. It sounds like there were not very many dull moments in their household!

Little Bobby Hartley getting swats in school.  Little Bobby Hartley getting in with the wrong crowd and unbelievably finding himself a drug dealer. His experiences as a lifeguard at a pool over packed with impoverished inner city kids. Wayward Bobby coming home for Thanksgiving. All kinds of personal stories that are both outlandish and heartwarming.

Jedidiah’s quote says it all. “After twenty-two years, I have concluded two major things concerning my father:

Number one: I sure hope I grow up to be like my mother.

Number two: I could not have asked for a better dad.” 

It is a very interesting read.

I have posted my review on goodreads, amazon, barnes and noble, booksamillion and alibris.

I wasn’t sure I would like this book.  I don’t know who Bob Hartley is.  I mean a biography about someone I don’t even know?  But, this book was awesome!  I loved it.  It was such a quick, easy read.  It was funny and real.  I couldn’t put it down.  I didn’t want it to end.  The story is witty and compelling. 

Do you want to read something that is easy to read, will make you laugh?  Then go pick this book up right away!  I cannot give a higher recommendation for this book than to go get it and read it right away!  LOVE IT!

I received this free book from Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  This review is posted on Amazon, Goodreads, Deepershopping.

Jedidiah Hartley writes a series of stories about his father, Evangelist Bob Hartley. This book tells about his father and many antics that Bob Hartley performed as a child growing up, as a young adult on his own, and an adult during the years as Jedidiah grew up.

The tales this son shares with his readers remind me of stories one would hear around a kitchen table. A son would say something like, “Do you remember when,” or “Let me tell you about my dad.”

While Jedidiah Hartley shares stories from his dad’s life, some rather embarrassing, the reader will get the feeling that this son is proud of his father in spite of the crazy antics, Bob did.

I usually choose to review books that deal with spiritual growth. There was some spiritual growth in this collection of stories. This book starts out like a biography and changes toward the end to a memoir.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy stories about families and those members who have come through times brought about by their own choosing.

There was a drawback to my really liking this book. The title on the Book Club Network site read, “Hope it’s not hereditary.” The actual title of the book was “I Hope it’s Not Hereditary” I found this misleading.

I received this book from Whitaker House publishing via Book Fun and Book Club Network free of charge. All they asked of me was an honest review.

Jedidiah Hartley writes a series of stories about his father, Evangelist Bob Hartley. This book tells about his father and many antics that Bob Hartley performed as a child growing up, as a young adult on his own, and an adult during the years as Jedidiah grew up.

The tales this son shares with his readers remind me of stories one would hear around a kitchen table. A son would say something like, “Do you remember when,” or “Let me tell you about my dad.”

While Jedidiah Hartley shares stories from his dad’s life, some rather embarrassing, the reader will get the feeling that this son is proud of his father in spite of the crazy antics, Bob did.

I usually choose to review books that deal with spiritual growth. There was some spiritual growth in this collection of stories. This book starts out like a biography and changes toward the end to a memoir.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy stories about families and those members who have come through times brought about by their own choosing.

There was a drawback to my really liking this book. The title on the Book Club Network site read, “Hope it’s not hereditary.” The actual title of the book was “I Hope it’s Not Hereditary” I found this misleading.

I received this book from Whitaker House publishing via Book Fun and Book Club Network free of charge. All they asked of me was an honest review.

I haved posted this review on my blog. http://quietspirit-followingmyking.blogspot.com/2016/03/book-review...

Also I have posted it on Amazon.com  https://www.amazon.com/review/R3HUQPFLLXALXT/ref=pe_1098610_1377162...

This book does not start off as an easy-read. We read about some of the more tragic stories of Bob Hartley's life. However, there are others that share his salvation and the humorous parts of his life.

What I enjoyed about this book, especially, is the closeness of the father and son. So much so that the son is willing to share the stories with others so that they can come away from similar events knowing they are not alone.

I was given this book by Whitaker House and bookfun.org in exchange for my honest review.

I am not a nonfiction person.  I’m not.  I try to avoid nonfiction books at all costs, but when I saw I Hope It’s Not Hereditary’s cover and read the back of the book I decided to give it a shot.  I am not a person who can easily turn down a good funny book whether it be fiction or nonfiction.  That’s what I thought this book was: a hilariously funny story.  The first chapter seemed to fall easily into the mold of a hilariously funny story, but as I progressed further and further into the book I realized that this was not that kind of book.  I had thought the book would be a collection of stories that have nothing really in common except for the main character: Bob Hartley; instead this book takes you through Bob’s journey through the years from when he was a small child earning the nickname Bulldog Bob to his finally accepting Jesus as his savior and God as the ruler of his life.  This was not an easy story for me to read.  I found it extremely heart wrenching at some parts and even found myself crying at one point in the story.  I was extremely shocked that this book was not the light happy read I had expected.  Now with that out of the way I did still enjoy this book and recommend it to others even if it was not as humor filled as I would have liked.   I simply warn you, while there are a few chapters that are simply hilarious; the majority of the book is a young man’s spiritual struggle to come to terms with what he has done in the past and to find God.  It was a deeply moving story and I found the last chapter to be very poignant.  I loved the metaphors that were used, and I hope that someday the author will write another book only this time focusing on Jed Hartley’s story and what it was like growing up with Bob Hartley as a father (the first and twenty-fifth chapters were my favorites in case you didn’t notice).

I received a copy for an honest review from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.

I have posted my review on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, Christianbook, Deeper Shopping, and my personal blog: http://pausefortales.blogspot.com/2016/03/review-i-hope-its-not-her...

I hope it's not hereditary

Jedediah Hartley writes about how wild his father was before he was saved. I was given a copy of the book from the Book club network for exchange for a honest review. His dad Bobby really had a wild youth, amazing how he survive to know the Lord. This was a interesting book.

Posted reviews on Amazon and goodreads

I Hope It's Not Hereditary was an engaging book right from the start.  I give it 5 stars.  I loved it from the very beginning.  The antics of Bob Hartley were at times funny and at other times sad.  It was very easy to read.  It seems that God had a purpose for Bob's life and was going to use his life story to help others keep from going down the same bad path that he did.

I received this book from The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  Additional reviews will be posted wherever possible.

I think that most of us have grown up knowing someone like Bob Hartley. Someone who is always playing pranks and sometimes being a bully; that young man who is always searching for a way to get out of school and church. These youngsters are usually labeled mischievious until.....these urges develop into serious issues---stealing, drinking and even selling drugs. But no one is beyond redemption and one day Bob meets the Lord and all of his energy becomes directed to serving Him.

"I Hope It's Not Hereditary" is evangelist Bob Hartley's story as told by his son Jedidiah. It has some very humorous sections but it is also heartwarming and heart-wrenching. In reading it, we readers are shown the love between an earthly father and son and the love between our Heavenly Father and His children. We also realize that, despite the title, Jedidiah is very proud of his father!

I received a copy of this book for an honest review from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.

My review has been posted on Amazon, B&N, ChristianBook, Goodreads, & DeeperShopping.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Birthdays

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service