***** REVIEWS FOR TYNDALE: THE WONDER OF YOU BY SUSAN MAY WARREN - 30 PB (U.S. ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 7-24-15

Sponsored by Tyndale #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (413 pages):  Mortified after her semester abroad is cut short, Amelia Christiansen returns to Deep Haven, certain she isn’t brave enough for the adventures she’s dreamed of. The last thing she expects is for the man who broke her heart to cross the Atlantic and beg forgiveness. Heir to a European hotel dynasty, Roark St. John has trekked from one exotic locale to another, haunted by tragedy and the expectations that accompany his last name. Amelia is the first woman to give him a reason to stop running. He’ll do anything for a second chance―even contend with Amelia’s old flame, who is intent on sending Roark packing.

While one surprise after another leaves Amelia reeling, Roark’s continued presence only highlights the questions pursuing her. Like him, is she running from the life God has called her to? Could finding her new place mean leaving home behind?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Growing up in Minneapolis and attending the U of MN, I learned to love city life, although I'm a woodsy girl at heart. Or maybe I'm an adventurer -- having lived and traveled all over the world, including Siberia Russia as a missionary for eight years. Probably that's why my characters can't sit still, and seem to get into one scrape after another -- they're too much like me! I love God, my family, my country, my church, and feel privileged every day to be able to write stories, that I hope inspire and entertain!

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Deana Dick Amy Smelser
Bethany Marks Charity L
Victoria Brinius Kris Markovich
Becky Lewis Britney Adams
Sonnetta Jones Jackie McNutt
DM Webb Jacqueline Robertson
Cheryl Hart Darlene Bochman
Amy C Deanna Stevens 
Tina Rice Karen Dean 
Paula Young  Julie Robinson
Kate Voss Karen Rochon
Gail Hollingsworth Galinda Barefoot
Karen Ketcham Cheri Swalwell
Lori Weller Cindy Jean
Mary Arndt Victor Gentile 

Views: 361

Replies to This Discussion

When Amelia Christiansen comes home early from her year abroad, her loving family and former boyfriend are happy to welcome her.  She is young and perhaps was over whelmed by her experiences there.  What no one saw coming is that Roark St. John follows her back to Deep Haven with the hopes of winning her heart.  He gets a job and finds a place to live; what he fails to do is let everyone know that he is worth billions of dollars as the heir to a large hotel chain. He also feels God abandoned him long ago when his family left the mission field and was later murdered in Spain.   As Roark battles with Amelia’s old boyfriend, Seth, for her heart, other characters from previous Christiansen family books stories intersect with this one.  Max and Grace decided to not waste any of the precious days that their uncertain future hold, so they elope.  Now they are faced with the challenge of telling Grace’s family who will certainly be hurt and disappointed.  As Casper leaves to try to track down brother Owen and potential murder charges are being discussed concerning a family member, the reader cannot put down this book and looks forward to the concluding book in the series.

This is the second book in this series that I have read.  They certainly move along quickly and are a good reflection of a godly, loving family.  While I did find it a bit of a stretch for a 19/20 year old girl to have some of the experiences both with people and photography that were presented in this book, I did find it an enjoyable read. 

I received this from the Book Club Network.

I posted this on Amazon, Good Reads, Barnes and Noble, Deeper Shopping, CBD, and Books A Million

Ive had the pleasure of reading one other Christiansen Family novel, Evergreen, but in spite of the other books in this series, I had no problem following along and enjoying this novel. The youngest daughter, Amelia, returns from overseas heartbroken and confused. She had always, in the back of her mind and heart, thought she was meant to be a missionary and hand out Bibles all over the world. Did God have a different plan for her? Seth who had loved her since she was twelve years old, feels like they are meant to be together for life. Roark, who she meets in Prague, comes across the ocean looking for Amelia. He is determined to fit in to her small community and win her over to him. Amelia faces failure of what she thought she was meant to do. Roark feels like nothing he does is right but only leads to trouble and heartbreak for those close to him. God has plans for both of them. Are they able to open their hearts and listen to him whether it means they are together or not?
This was a truly heartwarming story. It made me stop and reevaluate if I'm following God's plan for me. I found myself right where all these characters were, living and breathing like I was there myself. Time well spent for me!
I received this book to read and give my honest review, which I have given.
I placed my review on Amazon, Goodreads, CBD, Barnes and Noble, Books A Million, Deepershopping, my Facebook page, and pinned a picture of the cover on my Pinterest Board "Books I've Read in 2015".

The Wonder of You by Susan May Warren was a wonderful book!  I love the Christiansen family series - it’s realistic, entertaining, and full of humor, drama, romance, and spiritual truths.  The characters are well written, realistic and I love the way the men are depicted.  They are manly men but have tender hearts - just like my husband! 

I don’t know what else to say except that I love this series!  I can’t get enough and I’m said that it’s almost over.  I love all the different stories throughout the book - how we get to keep in touch with the whole family even while Ms. Warren concentrates on another aspect of the family dynamics.  It’s a wonderful book and I love all of Ms. Warren’s series’ books. 

Highly recommend to everyone I come in touch with.  She is a terrific writer and I thoroughly enjoy everything she writes. 

I received this book for free from The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  I have posted my review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and Deeper Shopping.  

The Wonder of You is a continuation of the Christianson saga. But if you have not read any of the previous ones you can still enjoy this one as a stand alone. The younger daughter is now the main character and she is traveling and then returns home. This family is based on faith and love. There is also always problems to be found in each book to be solved. I look forward to the next book in the series.

I received this book from the Book Club Network in exchange for my honest opinion.

This review will be posted on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, Christianbook, and Goodreads. 

The Wonder of You is a novel in the Christiansen Family Series by Susan May Warren.  Susan May Warren is an amazingly gifted author who has written several great series.  The setting is in the area of Deep Haven and Evergreen Lake in Minnesota.  This novel focuses on the beautiful, youngest daughter of the Christiansen family.  It begins with a personal letter from Amelia’s mother to her, telling her that God has great plans for her—the one who has always looked beyond the horizon, the independent one, the adventure-seeking spirit.  This letter is a message of praise and also one of encouragement.

Amelia Christiansen is one who thrives on adventure and her love for adventure and skill as a photographer define her character.  She has just returned home from a year in Prague, pursuing her vision of becoming a professional photographer.  Her former high school boyfriend, Seth, is thrilled to have her back from her adventures and wants to make their relationship permanent.  The only obstacle in his way is a certain handsome, mysterious Brit who follows Amelia home to Deep Haven, trying for a second chance with her.  Roark St. John wants to clear up the misunderstanding in Prague.  Amelia saw him with another woman and thought the worst of him.  With a broken heart, she has settled in at the family resort, not expecting Roark to pursue her and change his location to do so.  One surprise after another where he is concerned leaves Amelia confused and torn between these two very different men.

Another wonderful, engaging story is The Wonder of You which includes the many family members encountered in previous books.  A tale of romance that inspires teaches God’s truths and ways in a warm and realistic manner.  I highly recommend this novel (as well as all of Warren’s books).  I received this book through TBCN in exchange for an honest review.  (posted on Amazon, Good Reads, Christian Books, Deeper Shopping, Barnes & Noble, and Books-a-Million)

This is  a beautiful story that captures more of the evolving story of The Christianson Family in the series by Susan May Warren.

Amelia Christian has returned home to her family in Deep Haven, Minn. after a heartbreaking and disappointing trip abroad.

Where she is once again embraced back into the safety and love of her family, and the love and security of her friends.

If you have never previously read The Christianson Family series, you have missed out on books that will leave you longing to linger in this family's faith, love and acceptance for each other, and everyone in their circle of friends and guests.

I cannot recommend this book and the others highly enough. I for one cannot wait to read more of this family, and look forward to future books by this author.

I received this book through The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest opinion.

It will also be posted on Amazon; C B D  and B & N

This is the fifth book in the series, but can be read alone, it is the continuing saga of the Christiansen family. This one is about Amelia the youngest in the family, comes home from abroad heart broken. I definitely would recommend this book.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher through TBCN/BookFun in exchange for my honest review.

This review was posted to  Goodreads,  Amazon and Deeper Shopping.

Susan May Warren in her new book “The Wonder of You” Book Five in the Christiansen Family series published by Tyndale House Publishers takes us into the life of Amelia Christiansen.

From the back cover: Mortified after her year abroad is cut short, Amelia Christiansen returns to Deep Haven, certain she isn’t brave enough to embrace the adventures she’s dreamed of. The last thing she expects is for the man who broke her heart to cross the Atlantic and beg forgiveness.

Heir to a European hotel dynasty, Roark St. John has trekked from one exotic locale to another, haunted by tragedy and the expectations that accompany his last name. Amelia is the first woman to give him a reason to stop running. He’ll do anything for a second chance—even contend with Amelia’s old flame, who is intent on sending Roark packing.

While one surprise after another leaves Amelia reeling, Roark’s continued presence only highlights the questions pursuing her. Like him, is she running from the life God has called her to? Could finding her place mean leaving home behind?

I like Deep Haven. I really enjoy the Christiansen family. I would stay at their Lodge and try to hang out with them. Right now the main focus is on Amelia, Roark and Seth. Both Roark and Seth have been loved by Amelia before and both want to have her now. Amelia, to her credit, wants to level the playing field to see which way, if any, her heart will decide. That is what makes this book so much fun. Obviously there is a whole lot going on in this book. The Christiansen Family are not perfect however they are interesting and I would have no problem having them as my friends. Ms. Warren does a superb job of making each character, especially Amelia, Roark and Seth, come alive so much that they seem as if they have been our friends all our lives. “The Wonder of You” is a wonderful, sweet story with power and depth that will keep you flipping pages. I recommend this book highly and look forward to the next reunion with the Christiansen Family.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

A search for true love

In The Wonder of You by Susan May Warren, Amelia Christiansen returned early from her overseas trip, feeling like a failure. She met and fell in love with Roark St. John during her travels, but when she finds him in the arms of another woman, she can’t trust her own heart or feelings. Roark followed Amelia to Minnesota, knowing he had handled things wrong and wanting a second chance with the lady who might help him overcome his tragic past.

Ms. Warren covers many topics in The Wonder of You. This is book five in the Christiansen Family series, and I haven’t read all of the prior books, so it is possible some of these issues were introduced in earlier books and just continued in this book. But one of the prevalent themes, in my opinion, was the wonder that God loves us, as we are, no matter who we are. Amelia’s mom declared, “’He loves us simply because He finds joy in loving us. And no amount of our running, our disobedience, our mistakes will keep that love from us. God requires nothing from us but to turn and embrace Him.’” (347) Another theme was that our focus should be on God, not on ourselves or others. A visiting missionary said, “’We’re satisfied to get a glimpse of His vision, and then we seek out the places where we can accomplish it on our own. And frankly, that’s why we live empty, frustrated lives. Pursuing God’s vision requires faith in God to work it out.’” (174)

Dislikes: Amelia seemed a bit wishy-washy to me. I understand the need to consider both sides, but she would appear to have decided, then something would happen and she was once again confused. Also, she was seeing Roark and Seth at the same time, kissing both, behaving as if she was committed to the one she was with at the time. Max and Grace eloped but hadn’t told the family yet, so they were sneakily sleeping together in the Christiansen family home.

Likes: Roark called himself a coward, yet he came back time and again and stuck to the hard things in order to prove himself to Amelia. Amelia finally followed God’s calling on her life, no matter what others decided. Max started living in and for the moment rather than allowing the specter of future unknowns to steal the joy from today. The Christiansen family was protective of Amelia, but they also opened up enough to get to know Roark.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. It was a quick read but also had a message if you care to look for it. I personally would hesitate to recommend it to just anyone (think young teens), but I would recommend it to most readers who enjoy a romantic story with a bit of theology thrown in on the side.

I received a copy of this book through The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.

I posted reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christianbooks, Deeper Shopping, Goodreads, and Paperback Swap.

I felt bad for Amelia. She realizes that what she dreamed of doing with her life, was not meant to be.

See full review here: 

also on FB, B&N, Amazon, and Goodreads

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service