Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

Sponsored by Harvest House Publishers.  #ad.  

ABOUT BOOK: Bestselling author Mary Ellis (A Widow’s Hope) presents The Lady and the Officer, Book 2 of her new Civil War historical romance series, which tells the stories of brave women and the men who love them.

Serving for a brief time as a nurse after the devastating battle of Gettysburg, Madeline Howard saves the life of Elliot Haywood, a colonel in the Confederate Home Guard. But even though Maddy makes her home in the South, her heart and political sympathies belong to General James Downing, a soldier from the North.

However, Colonel Haywood has never forgotten the beautiful nurse, and when he unexpectedly meets her again in Richmond, he is determined to win her. But while rubbing elbows with army officers and cavalry generals and war department officials in her aunt and uncle’s palatial home, Maddy overhears plans for a Confederate attack in northern Virginia. She knows passing along this information may save the life of her beloved James, but at what cost? Can she really betray the trust of her family and friends?

Maddy’s heart is pulled between wanting to be loyal to those who care for her and wanting to help the man she believes is on the right side of the conflict. Two men love her. Will her faith in God show her the way to a bright future, or will her choices bring a devastation of their own?

ABOUT AUTHOR: Mary Ellis grew up close to the Amish where she loved their peaceful agrarian lifestyle and strong sense of Christian community. She and her husband now live by the largest population of Old Order in the country where they take weekend trips to research her books. Mary enjoys reading, traveling, gardening, bicycling and swimming. Before "retiring" to write full-time, Mary taught Middle School and worked as a sales rep for Hershey Chocolate--a job with amazingly sweet fringe benefits.

Living in Harmony, book one of her last series won the 2012 Lime Award for Excellence in Amish Fiction. Book two, Love Comes to Paradise, won the 2013 Lime Award. Her debut Christian book, A Widow's Hope, was a finalist for the 2010 ACFW Carol Awards. She is currently working on a three-book historical romance series set during the Civil War. The Quaker and the Rebel released in January, 2014. She can be found on the web at: www.maryellis.net blog  www.maryeellis.wordpress.com    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mary-Ellis/126995058236 

PAPERBACKS
Jaquelyn S
Tina Rice
Diana Montgomery
Amy Smelser
Charity L

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much for allowing me to read and review this book!  God bless you for all you do!  Here is my review:

I loved this book.  Mary Ellis is awesome at telling a story.  While reading The Lady and the Officer I could picture the scenes she painted.  This book was so interesting that I feel it could be made into a movie, not that it would do the book justice.  The Lady and the Officer is book two in the Civil War Heroine Series, the first book is called The Quaker and the Rebel.  I did not have to read the first book to love this one.  But after reading how Ellis writes I am dying to read more of her books.  I could not put this book down!

Madeline has had her share of hardships in her life and she is still so young!  When almost everything has been taken from you, little things can set you off.  That’s exactly what happened when some soldiers were ruining the flowers in Madeline’s garden.  One of those soldiers was General James Downing.  Ever since meeting him Madeline begins to feel in a way she never thought she would again.  And James can’t shake his fascination of her either. 

It was so interesting learning more about the civil war times.  Ellis helped me imagine how hard it would have been back then.  When son was turned against father, and soldiers took things whether they were freely given or not.  I couldn’t imagine watching someone walk off with my livestock and not doing something about it.  The Lady and the Officer is a great love story with many great twists and turns.  It was hard to put down, and kept me dying to know what was going to happen next.  I highly, highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Historical Fiction of any type.  You will not regret reading this book! I can promise you that!  I received a copy of this book from the author, Harvest House Publishers, and TBCN in exchange for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.  

I also posted a review on B&N, Amazon, Goodreads, Deepershopping, Harvest house, Walmart, and Christian Book.

The Lady and the Officer by Mary Ellis was a sweeping Civil War story depicting one woman’s life and decisions during the last two years of that most brutal war.  Having been widowed due to the war, Madeline Howard has also lost her late husband’s business (he was a horse breeder), her home, and purpose in Pennsylvania.  Being a Yankee through and through, she still decided she needed to move to Richmond, Virginia to seek shelter with her wealthy Uncle, Aunt, and cousin.  However, before she leaves she has managed to capture the attention of a Union officer by the name of James Downing.  He implores her to stay on the North side during the war however she feels she still needs to go to family.  Since there is nothing James can do while the war is going on, he promises to write and vows to her and (himself) that he will find her after the war. 

Now what I found very fascinating was how Madeline, being from the north and very much wanting the Union to win, has learned how to live her daily life in the very capital of the Confederacy.  How she still loves her family and they her, yet they have very opposing views.  There is intrigue, spies, and a bit of a love triangle when a Confederate soldier steps into her life in Richmond making Madeline’s decisions more complicated.  This is my first Mary Ellis book and her romantic historical had me right there experiencing the South with Madeline.  This story was very unpredictable and I so very enjoyed the resolution of this book.  One particular scene was just amazing to me with how it played out.  Thank you to the The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) for my review copy.  The opinions are my own.

I posted my review on Amazon, Goodreads, Christianbook, Barnes and Noble, Deeper Shopping and my personal blog: http://pausefortales.blogspot.com/2014/12/review-lady-and-officer-b...

Thank you to Mary Ellis for the personal note and for signing my book.  That makes it extra special.  It is also neat to know you are from Ohio as well.  I look forward to more of your stories.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Birthdays

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service