Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

***** REVIEWS FOR THE HAWK AND THE DOVE BY PENELOPE WILCOX - 30 PB (U.S. AND CANADA) - ADDRESSES SENT 5-22-15

Sponsored by Lion Fiction (Third Revised Edition). #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK: (176 pages)

Father Peregrine is appointed Abbot of St. Alcuin's Benedictine abbey. An arrogant, impatient man, a hawk trying hard to be a dove – his name in religion is "Columba" – he is respected, but not loved. A sudden, shocking act of violence changes everything. As the story unfolds, this community of monks, serious about their calling but as flawed and human as we are, come to love their ascetic but now vulnerable leader. They lived six centuries ago, yet their struggles are our own. Finding our niche; coping with failure; living with impossible people; and discovering that we are the impossible ones.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

My aim in writing is to make goodness attractive. I love simple human kindness and gentleness, and I am moved by human vulnerability. I am fascinated by the power that is within our grasp to lift one another up, to heal and strengthen and encourage each other - our power to bless. In the novels I write, I think of the reader sitting down to enjoy a book, the door of their imagination open wide to allow the story in to influence and shape their spirit. I accept the responsibility that confers as a great privilege, and it is my intention that when you put down any book of mine at the end of reading it, you will feel hopeful, peaceful and comforted, more ready to look on your fellow human beings with compassion and see their point of view. I live in the English town on Hastings, on East Sussex's south coast. I write a blog called Kindred of the Quiet Way. I would like to encourage you who are reading this to take the trouble to review on Amazon the books you read - as a reader I find customer reviews immensely helpful in making up my mind whether to purchase a book, and as a writer I find readers' reviews so valuable as feedback and food for thought.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Billie Conrad Lynda Edwards
Kyla Swalwell Gee Dixon
Fran Bott Michele Hazel
Sonnetta Jones Heather Bireley
Kimberly Napier Carol Smith
Virginia Winfield Jackie McNutt
Becky C Anna Augustine
Jenna Evans Shannon Hogan
Joan Boxell Deanna Stevens
Mary Whitcomb Anne Rightler
Nickie Elliott Blanche Diane Henry
Vicki Jones Shirley Ann Strait
Amy C Victoria Pless
Lori Weller L. Cherie Kasper
Diana Montgomery Cindy Jean

Views: 348

Replies to This Discussion

The Hawk and The Dove is a delightful glimpse of monastery life during the 14th Century. The author, Penelope Wilcock, in this first book of a series, tells tales of long ago monks through the voice of a 20th Century mother sharing bedtime stories with her 15-year-old daughter. The blending and connection of these two times is well done and creates an interesting context for the accounts. Accounts of a brutally beaten Abbot, long ago lovers, an insensitive, irascible cook, a vegetarian required to eat what is put in front of him and other assorted colorful Brothers. The writing is descriptive and expressive. "The season of colds...started in November, when the magical, golden enchantment of autumn days (the wine of the seasons, when the year held its breath at the approach of frost and fire turned into the raw damp of the back end of the year, clogging leaves packed underfoot and chilling fog pervading everything." (p. 123) The gift of grace is seen as secret sins and character flaws are exposed and ultimately forgiven. Stories of human frailty resonate with the reader and cause one to look at and evaluate one's own imperfections. The author develops the characters well as they interact with each other and learn what Christ's love truly looks like and is effectively realized in everyday life. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
I received a copy of this book through The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) in exchange for my honest review. I have posted reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Deepershopping.com, Booksamillion.com, Christianbook.com, Bookfun.org, and GoodReads.

I finished reading this book and was quite glad I had the chance to read it. It is not the usual book I would choose and at first was nervous. I did have a little trouble not having any knowledge of  Monks and did not know a lot of the terms used, but it didn't really detract from the book. The story switches between modern times and the 14th century. The characters were well developed and the editing was well done. (I really have trouble with poorly edited books). The book came to a valid conclusion while still leaving room to start the next book in this 3 book series. I enjoyed this book and think you will too. I received this book in exchange for my honest review. This review is also posted on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, CBD, and Librarything.

The Hawk and the Dove was a great book.  It was the first in a series of three. I really liked it and it made me want to keep reading the rest of the books.  The Wounds of God was amazing too -  I really liked it.  Then The Long Fall was terrific too.  All three of these books are a great series.  I’m glad I got to read them.

I received this book for free from The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  I have posted my review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and Deeper Shopping.  

This is the first in a set of historical fiction. This book centers around Father Peregrine. When he is sent to be Abbot of St. Alcuin's Benedictine abbey he is attempting to change his life from one of a brash man to "a dove." It takes violence for the other monks of the abbey to come to love this man.

My heart melted and felt transformed by the telling of this story.

I was given this book by bookfun.org in exchange for my honest review.

This review was posted on Amazon.com, goodreads. barnes and noble, google books, CBD, DeeperShopping, and my blog

I honestly don’t know that I had any specific expectations going into this book. My interest was piqued by the description, and my curiosity about the monastic life led me to pick up the book in the first place, but I found myself quickly drawn in and fascinated by both the stories set at the monastery and those that take place within the family telling these stories.

Very rarely does life seem to go the exact way any of us expect it to, but we have to keep on marching forward and living this thing we call life. That is one of the biggest things I am taking away from this book. It doesn’t matter if we live in a monastery or in the modern world, problems and challenges find us all. What does matter is how we face these things, and whether it makes us bitter or better. I find this to be a tremendous encouragement in my own life.

Another thing I enjoyed about this book is that it shows the power of words, both spoken to each other in the moment and those written for future generations. Empty words can be hurtful, even when they begin as simply thoughtless, while the honest and good point us on to something higher.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story. The sections are brief enough to squeeze into a busy day but they have enough meat to keep a reader thinking for a while, and it contains lots of grace-filled truth to both convict and encourage any believer in Christ.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) in exchange for this honest review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.

I posted the above review at:

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1535146241?book_show_action=f...

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/review/RP4JZTWQ39IFV/ref=pe_1098610_13771620...

and it is pending at Barnes & Noble, Christian Book Distributors, and Deeper Shopping.  Thanks for the opportunity to read this, and for the extra grace as I fell behind in my reviewing!

After crossing off book one, I was unable to get to the other two until now and I apologize.  I have now posted the following two reviews:

The Wounds of God is the second book in The Hawk and the Dove series and continues the monastic tales that introduced us to the characters in the first novel. A collection of short stories, they form a cohesive whole that paints a picture for the reader while not necessarily following a typical story arc or format.

For me, the best part about this book is the almost proverbial quotes it contains; even though the modern part of this story takes place in the past, they still hold true for modern readers. One example that comes to mind is: “People think you can see more by electric light, but you can’t. You see different things, that’s all. You can see to read or do your homework or bake a cake by electric light, but you see people more truly by candlelight and firelight.”

While I didn’t enjoy this installment as much as I did the first, it was still a good read. I would caution that several passages do have a sexual overtone that may make some readers uncomfortable, all the more so as it would likely be unexpected in a book about monastic life; mature readership would be best in my opinion, or at least a parental review first. The book even suggests within its pages that the mother did not share these stories with her daughter until she was 15.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through the Book Club Network (bookfun.org) but no compensation for this review. I was not required to write a favorable one and the opinions expressed are both honest and my own.

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2072943907

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/review/R24WJCYCHLUNQB/ref=pe_1098610_1377162...

Barnes & Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-wounds-of-god-penelope-wilcock... (username:  eLynda)

It is still pending at CBD and Books a Millon.  Again, I apologize for the delay and thank you for the opportunity to review this book.

And for The Long Fall:

This is book three of The Hawk and the Dove series.  It can be read as a standalone, but I believe that the reader will enjoy it far more after having read the first two. 

There are several differences between this book and the previous two.  First, the more modern thread, the mother telling the stories to her daughter, is gone, leaving just the stories that take place in the monastery.  But perhaps the most disconcerting change is that where the others focus on life, this one narrows down to the end of life, illness, and the dignity and value each life has, even in the infirm or insane. 

In many ways, this is an incredibly difficult read, especially for those who have recently mourned a loved one.  The details and indignities, as well as the reactions others have, left me in tears more than once.  This book tackles some hard realities and ugly situations, so I would recommend this book for only the most mature of teens and up. 

There are several instances of humor, too, of pithy quotes that stick with the reader long after the book has been put down.  The mental image, for example, of an idea "going down like a dish of toenails" had me both chuckling and groaning. 

Over all, however, is the idea that true love hurtsonly by opening ourselves up to others, by revealing our innermost selves, do we truly love.  But that love injures as well, especially when the loved one hurts or even dies.  Love makes us vulnerable, but it also makes life worth living, and that is the greatest beauty of all.  The best example of this is Christ—His love for us led him to a torturous death so we could be with Him for eternity. 

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through the Book Club Network (bookfun.org) but no compensation for this review.  I was not required to write a favorable one and the opinions expressed are both honest and my own.

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2072958733

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R32KVNENOEKF3F?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

Barnes & Noble:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-long-fall-penelope-wilcock/100...

It is still pending at CBD and Books a Million.  Thanks for the opportunity, and again, I am sorry for the extremely tardy review.

The Hawk and the Dove is the first book in the series of three. It is basically a series of short stories of the monks at a monastary during the 1300's. It is told by a mother to her young daughters.The stories each have a meaning to them. It is well worth the reading. 

I recieved the book from the Book Club Network in exchange for my honest opinion.

This review will be posted on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, Christianbook, and Goodreads

This story is verbally hand down to Melissa by
her mother as it has been passed down through
generations as part of their family history.
You will read about Melissa’s family in the
Present. You will read her mother’s tales which
deal with the 14th century monks.
While the times and people have changed the
struggles faced back then by the brothers of St.
Alcuin seem to be mirrors the present.
You will meet father Peregrine, Brothers Cormac,
Brother Theodore, Brother Andrew and an array
of monks. You will see different personalities
but all have one objective to live, love and serve
God.
I was really into learning the inside of the
monastery and their grounds. You will learn how
they lived and struggled with temptations yet
Were able to overcome their personal temptations
because of their love plus devotion to God.
Great read!!!
Thank you to bookfun.org fro this book. My
opinion is my own.
Review left on Goodreads, Facebook, Amazon, iBooks,
Barnes and Noble.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service