***** REVIEWS FOR NORDSKOG: HISTORICAL AND THEOLOGICAL FOUNDATIONS OF LAW (3 BOOK SET) BY JOHN EIDSMOE - 20 PAPERBACKS (US ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 1.18.17

Sponsored by Nordskog  #ad

ABOUT THE BOOKS (1417 pages):

The Law! What is it, and where does it get its authority? Because someone with a crown and scepter has commanded it? Because a council has adopted it? Because a judge has upheld it? Or is law "law" because a Higher Authority has ordained it so? The Laws of Nature? And of Nature's God? Do "echoes of Eden" remain, faintly reminding us of an Original Plan? What is the Common Law? When did it begin? Is it relevant or binding today? And what of the Laws of the ancient Hebrews-an irrelevant footnote, or the cornerstone of all true Law?

With unparalleled scope and minute detail, Historical &Theological Foundations of Law studies the legal systems of ancient societies all across the earth, explores their common threads and differences, and traces their development through history, and notes common trends that should cause hope or alarm today. Embark with us on a journey to discover the earliest origins of Law.

Volume I - Ancient Wisdom

Volume II - Classical and Medieval

Volume III - Reformation and Colonial John

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

John Eidsmoe brings to this study the combined disciplines of the soldier, jurist, theologian, and historian. A retired Lt. Colonel in the Air Force and a Colonel in the Alabama State Defense Force, Eidsmoe is an Adjunct Professor for the Oak Brook College of Law & Government Policy, for the Handong International Law School in South Korea, and for the Institute of Lutheran Theology.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Connie Saunders Crystal Scott
Melissa Finnegan Mary Hake
Nyla Kay Wilkerson Lesa Neace
Victoria Brinius Amy Smelser
Deana Dick Carrie Gould
Jalynn Patterson Joan Nienhuis
Kimberly Napier Paulette Thomas
Vickie Jameson Penny Marks
Meagan Myhren-Bennett Wesley Harris
Joan Boxell Sonnetta Jones

Once your REVIEW of this book is DONE -

PLEASE CLICK this LINK and Post your review to this site on AMAZON. 

https://www.amazon.com/Historical-Theological-Foundations-Eidsmoe-M...

THANKS let me know if you need additional help. THANKS for your reviews.

Views: 207

Replies to This Discussion

Blog Snippet:

The foundation as well as the creation of law existed way beyond the current or even previous generations. This is a known fact, of course. The Bible even has God's laws as its foundation. The author has set about to discover, research, and write about the law as it was in ancient times dating back before recorded history. He takes us through history in chronological form to; if you will, take us back to where it all began.

Blog Link: http://asimplelifereally.blogspot.com/2017/02/review-historical-and...

Also posted to Goodreads, Amazon, B&N, and Deeper Shopping

Historical and Theological Foundations of Law consists of three volumes of history. These are Volume 1: Ancient History; Volume 2: Classical and Medieval; Volume 3: Reformation and Colonial. These amazing books clearly show how the Bible laid the foundations of our laws. The books are thoroughly and thoughtfully researched by John Eidsmoe, a retired Lt. Colonel in the Air Force and a Colonel in the Alabama State Defense Force. He is also an Adjunct Professor at Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy, the Handong International Law School in South Korea and the Institute of Lutheran Theology. 

I had my doubts that this subject could be covered in a manner that would maintain my interest, as the law can be a bit dry for me at times. However, from the first page of Volume I through the last I have highlighted and notated almost each and every page. 

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed these books and would highly recommend anyone with an interest in law, history or the Bible.

I was given these books by bookfun.org and Nordskog Publishing in exchange for my honest review. 

This review may also be found at the following places: Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, 

https://ksnapier475.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/book-review-historical-and-theological-foundations-of-law/

http://ksnapier.blogspot.com/2017/03/historical-and-theological-foundations.html

Hi, Everyone;

Once your REVIEW of this book is DONE PLEASE CLICK this LINK and Post your review to this site on AMAZON. 

https://www.amazon.com/Historical-Theological-Foundations-Eidsmoe-M...

THANKS let me know if you need additional help. THANKS for your reviews.

nora@bookfunmagazine.com 

Posted to Amazon:

As someone who has worked in law enforcement for many years, I have always been interested in the law and its origins.  For the first time, I have found a comprehensive resource on the subject in the “Historical and Theological Foundations of Law.”

The 3-book series cover every aspect of how law has been created.  It is a massive work detailing the development of law from ancient civilizations (Egyptian, Chinese, Mesopotamian, Indian, Polynesian, Mayan, etc.) through to the American development of law based on the United States Constitution. The author convincingly contends that there are universal features within each legal system that points to a nonnatural source for human law; in other words, the law points to the existence of a Creator God.

I am sure I will return to this resource over and over again in preparing lesson plans, essays, Bible studies and more from now on.  I highly recommend this set to anyone with an interest in law, public service, history, or the Bible.

I was given these books by bookfun.org and Nordskog Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

I have blogged my review of this collection and posted my review on Amazon.

Review:

Laws are everywhere. Every society has law in some form. Where did law come from? Is there something innate in man or is their a higher source of law? Eidsmoe answers these kinds of questions as a result of his investigating the legal systems of ancient and modern societies.

This is a three volume set. The first volume looks at ancient legal systems such as Egypt, India, China, etc. He investigates how their legal systems came to be, whether there are common aspects, and the possible source. He then focuses on the ancient Hebrew system of law and why it is frequently ignored today. He pays particular attention to Greek and Roman law and the Sharia law of Islam in the second volume. He also investigates the rise of the Common Law of the West and its roots. He explores the Reformation in the third volume and how legal philosophers wrote of law in a modern way. He then shows how the Common Law traveled to the Americas and provided the background for the founding documents of the United States.

This is an amazingly comprehensive work of over 1,400 pages. It is a tremendous resource for anyone interested in the nature, purpose and source of law. It is not the kind of collection one would read quickly. It may take months to work through the information it contains. A comprehensive index is included at the end of each volume.

Readers may find a few surprises, such as Eidsmoe pointing out the fallacy of having an evolutionary concept of the development of law. He offers proof that the United States is unique in its Judeo-Christian heritage, especially in the influence of the ancient law systems, including the Hebrew laws of the Old Testament.

I recommend this comprehensive investigation to those readers interested in the origin of our laws and how they developed. Questions for reflection and discussion are included at the end of each chapter.

I received a complimentary copy of this set through The Book Club Network. My comments are an independent and honest review.

Link to my blogged review:

http://bookwomanjoan.blogspot.com/2017/04/historical-and-theological-foundations.html

Thanks for the review Joan Grin!

Here's my review ~ sorry it took longer to read than I estimated!

Posted on Amazon (pending) and my blog Blooming with Books

Historical and Theological

Foundations of Law 

By John Eidsmoe

If you are looking for something to read that has some depth and educational values I highly recommend this book. Well, books is a more accurate description as this is a 3 volume set.  Volume 1 covers Ancient Wisdom, Volume 2 Classical and Medieval, and Volume 3 Reformation and Colonial.

This set covers law in such a way that the reader is taken on a journey of world history with law being the thread that is followed from the earliest recorded moments of humanity up to the modern legal structures upon which America was founded (yes, I realize that to some the 18th Century is not considered modern) The rise and fall of nations is contrasted with what we know of their legal system and their commonly held beliefs in God or in gods. 

Homeschoolers, if you are looking for a suggestion in regards to a textbook or a supplement to an existing course on world history and government I personally believe this would be an excellent choice. This would be a great addition to any home, school or church library. Believe me when I say this is one set you'll want to re-read and take notes. 

I was provided a copy for review purposes by the publisher through TBCN with no expectations of a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Thanks for the review Meagan!

Historical and Theological Foundations of Law by John Eidsmoe

This detailed history of civilization is a three-volume set that contains six books: Vol. I, Ancient Wisdom (Book I, The Foundation, and Book II, The Cornerstone); Vol. 1I: Classical and Medieval (Book III, The Structure: Classical Legal Systems, and Book IV, The Centerpiece: The Common Law); and Vol. I1I, Reformation and Colonial (Book V, The Pinnacle: Constitutionalism, and Book VI, The Beacon: Spreading Constitutionalism). This is like taking a yearlong college course. I learned so much. The author includes the latest historical information and connects various societies to God’s truth. I found it fascinating to discover so much treasure within these 1,400 pages. He also explains the knowledge the founders of America based their beliefs on. Extensive quotes from ancient works enhance the commentary (and sometimes overwhelm the reader). I recommend this resource for understanding world history and the way humans build upon the past. A must-have for homeschoolers in high school and for college students. It is written from a Christian worldview and theorizes that early cultures worshipped one God before developing polytheism, with evidence to support this claim. I received a copy from Book Fun Club. All opinions are my own.  

Sorry it took so long to work my way through it but I read it all, even footnotes. I posted reviews on Amazon and FB.

THANKS Mary for the review!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service