***** REVIEWS FOR KREGEL PUBLICATIONS: THE FORGIVENESS PROJECT BY MICHAEL BARRY - ADDRESSES SENT 7-31-15

Sponsored by Kregel Publications #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (208 pages):  All religions value forgiveness, but only Christianity requires it. Internalizing anger is destructive to our spiritual health and can destroy families, marriages, and even churches. But what about our physical health? Is there a relationship between a spirit of unforgiveness and cancer? Between forgiveness and healing? How do you really forgive? After thorough medical, theological, and sociological research and clinical experience at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA), author and pastor Michael Barry has made a startling discovery: the immune system and forgiveness are very much connected. Through the inspiring stories of five cancer patients, Barry helps readers identify--and overcome--the barriers that prevent healing and peace. See how a breast cancer patient named Jayne experienced spiritual and physical renewal when she learned to forgive. Meet Cathy whose story illustrates how forgiveness can positively change relationships. Be inspired by Sharon's story of spontaneous remission. With each true account comes proven strategies, tested and used by CTCA, that readers can implement to find peace with their past, relief from their hatefulness, and hope for healing. Competing titles may talk about forgiveness, but none specifically address the connection between forgiveness and physical health or offer forgiveness as a specific step toward healing from cancer. The Forgiveness Project presents scientific findings in easy-to-understand, accessible language and offers practical steps to help Christians let go of past wrongs and find peace.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Michael Barry (DMin, Fuller Theological Seminary; MA, Princeton Theological Seminary) is Director of Pastoral Care at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, where he specializes in the connection between spirituality and health. He has served in the ministry for over twenty years and has appeared on numerous radio and television shows around the country. He is the author of A Reason for Hope, A Season for Hope, and The Art of Caregiving.

PAPERBACKS  PAPERBACKS
Wendy Dewar Hughes Kathy Schemmel
Joan Nienhuis Paulette Thomas
Janice Garey Shannon Hogan
DM Webb Mary Hake
Ramona McDavid Connywithay
Joan Boxell Karen Dean
Robbi Bourne L. Cherie Kasper
Sarah Storm  Carrie Gould 
Karen Ketcham Cheri Swalwell
Lori Weller Mariah E
Heather Bireley Victor Gentile 
Jackie McNutt 

Views: 328

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Michael & Fred, for the book. Here is my review ~

The Forgiveness Project: The Startling Discovery of How to Overcome Cancer, Find Health, and Achieve Peace

“The best parts of this book are the stories told by a number of my patients who have discovered peace through the healing power of foregiveness while fighting for their lives against cancer,” Michael S. Barry writes in the introduction of his book, The Foregiveness Project: The Startling Discovery of How to Overcome Cancer, Find Health, and Achieve Peace.

Complete review: https://connywithay.wordpress.com/2015/08/15/the-forgiveness-project/

This review will be posted on DeeperShopping and Amazon with links on Bookfun.org, Godinterest, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

Unforgiveness… what does it do to one’s body?  The idea of forgiveness is not just a Christian concept but it is also found in many other cultures and religions.

Dr. Michael Barry has made a study of the healing effects of forgiveness at the Cancer Center of America on the patients that come from everywhere to that Center.  He has found those that go through his program have healed faster, had remission, had cancers disappear, and been miraculously healed.

This author presents five testimonies of patients he has worked with and the results obtained through The Forgiveness Project.  He also shows the effects on the body that unforgiveness produces and then shows how forgiveness can make a real difference spiritually, physically, and emotionally.

If all of us could only realize the benefits of forgiveness, we would be able to change society and the world.  I fully recommend this book.

I received this free book from Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  It is also posted on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

I have often seen commercials about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and I have wondered about their concept of treating the whole person.  This book helped me to understand a little bit about the program but more importantly the what and why they teach on forgiveness.  Their teaching is backed up by medical science,  Scripture and proven by changed, healthier lives.

There are many books written on the topic of forgiveness but this one is different in the following three ways:

1.   "...attempts to answer the question of whether there is a relationship between cancer and unforgiveness. "  pg. 20

2.  Gaining insights versus calculate number of steps in dealing with forgiveness

3.   "Finally, this book will appeal to those who are open to explore the mysterious and unpredictable spiritual aspects of life, wherein the healing and peace we find is experienced as a gift from God."  pg. 20

A variety of stories of those whom have been through the program, worked through forgiveness and it made a major difference in the health outcome.  Obviously this forgiveness teaching deserves to be looked at seriously.

For those whom need further proof, there are chapters which address the scientific aspects of stress as well as cancer and emotional trauma. 

Many of us are our hardest critics, and this too is addressed in this book.

This is a one of a kind book, and even if you don't believe in Christ, it is definitely worth picking up and reading as there is much good, proven info that just may make a difference in your life, or in that of a loved one.

Thank you to Bookfun.org and Kregel Publications for the opportunity to read this most informative book.

This review has been posted at Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Christianbook, Deepershopping, Facebook, Goodreads and Twitter.

I enjoyed reading The Forgiveness Project by Michael Barry.  I have always believed that happy people tend to get better faster when faced with an illness than those who give up hope or are depressed/upset.  However, I loved how this book explored the effect of anger on illness as well.  And I thoroughly enjoyed how he mixed Scripture along with personal stories to show just how the body is affected by anger…and also forgiveness. 

Great read and one I will be sharing with others as this is something that would be useful to all of us.  Who of us haven’t held onto a grudge, even if “little” versus bitterness or hatred.  Because we all know that anger left to fester has the potential to turn into something greater when not dealt with. 

I received this book for free from The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review.  I have posted this review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and Deeper Shopping.

In "The Forgiveness Project" written by Michael Barry we meet five different cancer patients who have some areas in their life where healing and forgiveness that needs to take place. Each person experiences forgiveness, which restores peace and spiritual healing in their lives. This book is a true testament to forgiveness being healing to overall health and life giving. This book gives hope for anyone who needs to forgive someone or someone who is going through something difficult in their life. Forgiveness in the Christian faith is not easy, but Jesus commands us to forgive or he will not forgive our sins. This book reminded me to be more quick to forgive and wash away the wrongs of others, so I don't hold on to others offenses because it clearly can affect your health in ways you do not expect.

I really enjoyed this book and I love how honest Jayne and Sharon were in their journey's. I appreciate their authenticity. Forgiveness is so important for our faith and our health! This book serves as an awesome reminder. I can't wait to share this book with others.

Thank you to the Book Club Network for allowing me to review this book. My review can be found on Amazon, Goodreads and Deepershopping. 

Taken from the back cover of the book—“All religions value forgiveness, but only Christianity requires it.  Internalizing anger is destructive to our spiritual health and can destroy families, marriages, and even churches.  But what about our physical health?  Is there a relationship between a spirit of unforgiveness and disease?  Between forgiveness and healing?” 

This is a wonderful and very eye opening book.  Can forgiveness really help us heal?  Can it simplify our lives? 

What is forgiveness?  Well forgiveness is not telling the people who we believe hurt us that what they did is okay.  It is us letting go of the pain that was done to us and moving on.  Unforgiveness is hatred.  Often we believe we are holding another person hostage with our unforgiveness and possible hatred toward them.  But are we really?  No, this book aims to show that we are only holding ourselves hostage with our unforgiveness. 

Every one of us has some unforgiveness in their lives.  What would it feel like to let it go?  “Everyone says that forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive. C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity.”  Page 37.  Often we also live with the understanding that to forgive we need to see and talk to the person we want to forgive.  This is a myth, according to Mr. Barry.  He suggests that “forgiveness involves only one person:  you.  Page 144. 

I believe that by reading this book you will become very enlightened as to what forgiveness is and what it isn’t.   It isn’t a magic cure for what ails us, but it can be a cure for a lot of other issues that stress us.  I would suggest anyone struggling with any life issues pick up this book and read it at your leisure.  There is a lot of great information between the front and back cover and I believe this is a book that could be read a couple times and would still have information to enlighten us.    

I was given this book by bookfun.org in exchange for my honest review.  Reviews have also been posted on Deeper Shopping, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Family Christian Bookstore and Good Reads.

I have read the book and blogged my review: http://bit.ly/1gkeBCk

That blog posts to Facebook and Google+. I also placed reviews on Amazon, CBD, Shelfari, Deeper Shopping, GoodReads, and Twitter.

Here is the text of my blogged review:

Is there a relationship between cancer and hatred and unforgiveness? Barry believes there is.

Barry is part of the pastoral care department at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Philadelphia. He shares what they do there and why. He believes, “The stress of unforgiveness negatively affects the immune system.” (14) Forgiveness, on the other hand, has a wholesome effect with long term health benefits.

He tells several stories, relating individual experiences with forgiveness and cancer. He also looks at studies investigating the relationship of stress to health. While it cannot be said that unforgiveness causes cancer, it does seem to create a state in the body that is more susceptible to the disease. Cancer is a complex disease and Barry suggests a holistic approach to treatment, including forgiveness.

Forgiveness is also a complex issue. It is not just saying it. “It requires a heartfelt change through which the anger and hatred are transformed into feelings of peaceful indifference or neutrality.” (149) It doesn't necessarily mean reconciliation or justice. Barry gives good insights into the process of forgiveness. There cannot just be certain steps suggested because the process is different for every person. It may require help from others in the form of counseling and support. Motivation is essential, he says.

Barry says it is reasonable to conclude that, to the extent forgiveness creates psychological stress, the immune system is compromised. That sets the stage for health problems, including cancer.

With that conclusion in mind, I recommend this book. While Barry is a Christian, this book is worth reading by those of other religions and the nonreligious too. As he points out, the concept of forgiveness is not limited to Christianity. It is a concept that those who desire wholeness and living well should practice. This book is a good primer.

Michael S. Barry (DMin, Fuller Theological Seminary) is Director of Pastoral Care at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Philadelphia, where he specializes in the connection between spirituality and health. He has served in ministry for over twenty years and is the author of several books.

Kregel Publications, 201 pages.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through The Book Club Network for the purpose of an independent and honest review.

This thought provoking guide is a wonderful book written by Michael S. Berry, who is the Director of Pastoral Care at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Philadelphia. With over 20 years of ministry service, he specializes in the connection between spirituality and health. This guide will open your eyes and hopefully your heart, to the connection between forgiveness and disease, and the effects that it causes in our bodies.

With very well written and detailed stories, the author shares what cancer patients ,and other individuals , have learned about anger and forgiveness, towards themselves, others and at times God, and how that impacts our ability to heal from disease.

I honestly don't think I can express in a few sentences, how important and inspiring I believe this book is.

Everyone can benefit from this book, at every stage of adult life. It is inspirational, educational and offers hope and encouragement for a better tomorrow.

I received this book free from The Book Club network in exchange for my honest opinion.

This review will also be posted on Amazon; C B D ; Deeper Shopping

The Forgiveness Project shows us how modern medicine and ancient wisdom can come together to heal body, mind and spirit.  Just as a cancerous tumor suddenly disappears in a spontaneous remission, God can “change a human heart in an instant”.

The author, Michael S. Barry, is the Director of Pastoral Care at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Philadelphia. As such, he has seen the devastating effects of unforgiveness and the burden-lifting effects of forgiveness firsthand.  Body and mind and soul are connected.  This book is a look into the Forgiveness Project started at the centers and how to benefit from it.

This book is insightful for all but especially valuable to those who may be struggling with the process of forgiving and want to find peace and relief from hate.

There are five personal stories in the book before Dr. Barry gets into the science behind the healing through forgiveness.  This makes for a very readable book.

I received a free copy of the book from the Book Club Network at www.bookfun.org  in exchange for an honest review.

I have posted reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christianbook, Booksamillion and Goodreads.

The Forgiveness Project is a very well written informative piece of literature. Michael Barry worked at the Cancer Treatment Centers in Philadelphia, mainly with the patients who needed to work through the disturbances in their lives. The 5 stories that were told by 5 of the individuals about their experiences of figuring out what had happened in their lives and what was needed to work through the forgiveness procedure were very enlightening.
When a person holds in anger and other feelings and does not express them can sometimes have an illness because of it. So, working through that anger and forgiving can help them to start to heal their bodies. Forgiveness does not necessarily prevent an illness, although it can, but even more so can help heal the illness. Sometimes real miracles can occur.
Michael does not give you a step by step plan to cure yourself, but what his studies show is that forgiveness can be a big part of healing.
Not only would this be a good book for any and all people dealing with any illness, but other people who need to go through the Forgiveness Project. I would recommend this book to all who love to read.
I was given this book by Book Club Network in exchange for an honest review.

I left reviews at Goodreads, Facebook, Deeper Shopping, Amazon and CBD.

This factual book is different from others on forgiveness. It focuses on the health benefits—both physical and spiritual—for the one who forgives. The author, director of pastoral care at Cancer Treatment Centers of America, recounts stories of five cancer patients and how forgiving dramatically changed their lives. In addition, he offers scientific information and numerous quotes from pertinent material to support his observation of the healing power of forgiveness. He also discounts misconceptions on the topic. The honest, easy-to-read style allows anyone access to this subject, which is so needed in our hurting world. I recommend it to everyone, not only those dealing with cancer. I received this book through the BookClub Network (bookfun.org) in exchange for my honest review.

I found The Forgiveness Project to be a really interesting and thought-provoking book. Using real examples and studies, it explains the relationship between emotional and physical health. I really appreciated the five true stories at the beginning of the book. These five people, who had every reason to be angry and bitter because of their experiences, became healed of their cancer while learning how to truly forgive. Forgiveness isn't only a good idea, it is vital if a person wants to live his or her life to the full. And I think that these stories show that such forgiveness is possible. This book even includes practical examples of what people can try in order to overcome their own obstacles of unforgiveness.

I took quite a bit away from this book and I think that others will, too. I think the author does a good job of showing that there is a connection between negative emotions, including the attitude of unforgiveness, and poor health. I never really thought that bottled emotions could have such a great effect on the body, but now I see that they actually do. This is a really great book for people to consider and to apply to their own lives. You don't have to wait until you are sick before you learn how to forgive.

I received this book from The Book Club Network in exchange for my review. This review will be put on Amazon and Christianbook.com.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service