***** REVIEWS FOR ELK LAKE: RED PEN REDEMPTION BY LORI STANLEY ROELEVELD - 10 EBOOKS (ALL) -ADDRESSES SENT 5.19.16

Sponsored by Elk Lake    #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (141 pages):

What if God took you up on a dare?

Helen Bancroft's led a good life and feels no need for her daughter's Savior. When God accepts Helen's dare to edit her autobiography and prove her righteousness, she's in for a lesson in her own history. One woman's journey from unbelief to acceptance turns into the Christmas Eve adventure of a lifetime beneath the red pen of Christ's mercy and grace. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a disturber of hobbits who enjoys making comfortable Christians late for dinner. She’s authored an unsettling blog since 2009; a pursuit that eventually resulted in her first book, Running from a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus). Though she has degrees in Psychology and Biblical Studies, Lori learned the most important things from studying her Bible in life’s trenches. You’ll find her at her website www.loriroeleveld.com. If not, know she’s off somewhere slaying dragons. Not available for children’s parties.

EBOOKS
Joan Nienhuis
Deana Dick
Sonnetta Jones
Becky 
Robbi Bourne
Rebecca Phelps
Vickie Jameson
Barbara Gill
Janice Sisemore
Penny Marks
Debra Lindquist
Jacqueline Robertson
Deborah Dunson
Anna Augustine
Mary Hake
Victoria Pless
Galinda Barefoot

Views: 174

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone gotten the book yet?

Helen was a journalist from the beginning of her life. She worked hard and felt no need for God. In fact, she didn't really like God much at all. One Christmas Eve, as she sat alone in her study, she had her manuscript of her life story before her. She had written it for her grandson as a Christmas gift. She dared the God she did not believe in to "edit" her story. For the rest of the book we are taken on a journey of a life that looks so good at first glance, but with more scrutiny we find it wasn't a good life at all. This book will make you look at your own life with a more critical eye. You may believe that you've lived a good life and did nothing but kind things to others. After all, our perception is our reality. ~~ Isn't that how the old saying goes? But look into the dark crevices of each event, each word spoken, each deed done. Were you really the saint you convinced yourself you were?

I was given this ebook by The Book Club Network for an honest review.

I have not read a book this powerful and life changing in a very long time. I have always thought my relationship with God was good. After reading this very emotional story, I realize I have a lot of work to do. I don't think I would be as brave as Helen and challenge God like she did. Her family always prayed that she would someday know Him. One Christmas Eve , Helen will find her life unfolding before her eyes.

As the evening progressed Helen was preparing her gift to her grandson. It was a manuscript written by her about her life. A mysterious package arrives for her and she takes it upstairs to open it. What is inside the package? Will it change the way Helen thinks about God? As she tries to understand her gift , she boldly tells God to "edit" her story. She doesn't believe in Him and feels like her life story has nothing to be ashamed of or need to ask forgiveness for. I loved the journey the author takes us own as we glimpse into Helen's life. We see images of her growing up and being reminded of things that perhaps were not good decisions. I felt like I was on a journey through history as the author took us to the sixties. We see Helen experiencing Woodstock and watching as God shows her through scripture the things she had done that did not line up with the Word of God. I especially liked the mention of 911. That was a time of grief for a nation and the worry that many people faced when they were frantic about the safety of their loved ones. Helen's life was not perfect, but God is a forgiving God. The more she spent with Him that evening, the more her heart began to soften towards Him. Will Helen give her heart to Jesus?

I know that if my life story were in front of me , I would have red markings all over the pages as Helen did. My tears flowed as I came to end of the book. I appreciate the author writing a book filled with scriptures that touched my soul, words that healed me and hope that my relationship can grow stronger with God.

A big thank you to The BookClub Network and the author for a copy of this book and allowing me to give an honest review of an amazing book.
https://www.librarything.com/work/17925203/book/131280243
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1670072496
https://www.amazon.com/review/R1DZB0YZ18LU1W/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=...
http://deana0326.blogspot.com/2016/06/red-pen-redemption-by-lori-st...

This was an easy read. Well written with good editing. It was written in the first person. The main character was very well developed. You got to know her well. The other characters were nicely developed as well, but I did not connect with them as much, except for one grandson. The story is a take on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. While I don't agree with some of what is written, the story over all is good. I was given this book in exchange for my honest opinion/review from Bookfun.org. This review is also posted on: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads.com, and Librarything.com.

This modern day Christmas story is in essence Helen (Nellie) Bancroft’s autobiography told with fantastically creative flavoring as in Dicken’s A Christmas Carol.   The author ingeniously made use of today’s technological world to show Nellie her life and her sin as they flashed on the screen while she went through each page of her own story.   As a reader, I felt as though I were sitting spellbound in the room with her, listening to her battle with God and the reality of Jesus Christ as her Savior.

Nellie was the matriarch of the family and lived her life without believing in God even though several family members were believers.  She was a strong willed woman and made life difficult for them.  Mrs. Roeleveld’s ability to stir so many emotions in the reader through these characters proved her insight into the minds and hearts of mankind.  It is a book that keeps the reader completely engaged.

I received this free book from Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review which is also posted on the Amazon and Barnes and Noble websites.

I have read the book and blogged my review: http://bit.ly/2b0zpR3

That blog posts to Facebook and Google+. I also placed reviews on Amazon, GoodReads, and Twitter. I did not find the book offered at CBD nor Deeper Shopping.

Here is the text of my blogged review:

What would you do if you received a challenge from God? You thought you had lived a good enough life to get into heaven, if there really was such a thing. In fact, you had just written a memoir of all the good parts of your life. It would be a gift to your favorite grandson. But then on Christmas Eve you receive a strange box. Inside are a Bible, a pen that writes in red, and a note challenging you to evaluate your life against the Bible.

That's what happened to Helen. She had been a successful reporter. Words were her thing. And now she was being challenged to put her life to the test.

This is a good story after the style of A Christmas Carol. Helen sees vignettes from her life on the tablet her grandson had left on her desk and she reads verses in the Bible that mysteriously light up. She spends a Christmas Eve facing the reality of her life and she finds out she has not been nearly as good of a person as she had thought.

This is an entertaining and well written story. It is also a challenging one. Like Helen, we may need to face the reality of our life, that we are not as good as we'd like to believe. Like Helen, we may need to come to the realization that we are not “good enough” to get into heaven. The salvation message is clearly presented so readers will have no doubt as to what determines their destiny.

My rating 4/5 stars.

Lori Stanley Roeleveld began writing a blog in 2009 which resulted in a book, Running From a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus). She has degrees in psychology and biblical studies. You can find out more at www.loriroeleveld.com.

Elk Lake Publishing, 176 pages.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this book through The Book Club Network for the purpose of an independent and honest review.

For me this was a difficult read until I got halfway through the book. I really enjoyed it once I understood what was going on and what the book was about. I received a free digital copy of this book from the author through a book club through Bookfun magazine in exchange for my honest review.

An unusual Christmas story, this life-changing drama could be read any time of year. Imagine if God offered a chance to edit your life story and mark out anything that didn’t meet His standards. Would there be enough left to please Him so you would be accepted into heaven? Such an opportunity is given to Helen Bancroft, a former aggressive newspaperwoman. Seeing her life unfold through the Spirit’s lens presents a higher perspective and opens her eyes to truths never before realized. Her impressions about the people she loved were not accurate. How different her life might have been if she had put others ahead of her selfish ambitions. Readers can learn from the protagonist’s experiences so hopefully they don’t make similar mistakes. This is a family tale that makes you think. I enjoyed the novel and recommend it. I received this book from Book Fun Club in exchange for an honest review.

Posted on Amazon, FB, CBD, & BAM.

Red Pen Redemption by Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a captivating story set on Christmas Eve.  Lifelong journalist, Helen Bancroft, endeavors to leave her autobiography for her family, especially for her grandson.  Independent and self-made, she has no need for a belief in a Savior, unlike the rest of her family.  Even her late husband at the last of his life began a relationship with Jesus.

On Christmas Eve the rest of her family attend church services, but Helen opts to remain home alone to reflect upon what she has written and her good life.  During this self-imposed quiet time, Helen receives a mysterious gift at her door and embarks on an examination of her life, focusing on proving to God her good acts in life and the utter senselessness of a need of salvation.

With the assistance of her autobiography, a Bible that mysteriously lights up key verses, scenes of her life displayed on her grandson’s computer, and a special red pen for editing parts of her story that do not measure up to God’s standards, Helen sets out to challenge God , to show Him that she is good enough for Heaven.  What ensues is a very engaging, enlightening story that captures the reader’s interest and teaches a pertinent truth for all mankind.  Not just a Christmas story, but a story for all time.

I received this wonderful book through TBCN in exchange for an honest review.  It is one that I want to reread at Christmas time and revisit several times.  I highly recommend this book.  It is an amazing read.  (posted on Amazon, Good Reads, Barnes & Noble, and Books-a-Million)

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Another Important Poll

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service