Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

Sponsored by Elk Lake Publishing.  #ad.

ABOUT THE BOOK: (308 pages)

DESPITE THE DANGER At a time when most people in American have never flown in an airplane, spunky Mandy McCabe test-pilots repaired war planes as part of the Women Air Force Service Pilots. If the Army Air Corp shuts down the WASP program, she must return to life in her hard-scrabble home and face her past. DESPITE THE OPPOSITION
Army Air Corp Major Harvey Applegate lost his WASP wife test-piloting planes and doesn’t want any more women killed on his watch. He fights to close the WASP program. Women aren’t designed to fight wars. Men fight to protect women freedom, and the American way of life.

DESPITE THE RAGING WAR
This World War II romance shows Steel Magnolias meeting Band of Brothers. Can Mandy escape from her past? Can a man burdened with memories of death agree to added danger for the new woman in his life? Will their new love survive the test of opposing desires and the pain and separation of war?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Anne Greene, writing as W.A.Swonger, is the author of Trail of Tears, published by Moody Press. Her Scottish historical romance, Masquerade Marriage, published by White Rose Publishing, released in October 2010. Masquerade Marriage won the 2011 New England Readers’ Choice Award and the 2011 Laurel Wreath Award for Published Writers. A Texas Christmas Mystery, published by White Rose Publishing, released in December 2011.

Views: 109

Replies to This Discussion

5 wks.

Historical Christine Romance set during WWII. Well researched and well written. Anne Greene will keep you turning pages.

Mandy joined the WASP Program and is one of the women pilots that test fly planes that have been shot up from the war. Some look like they are put back together with chewing gum and tape. One of the planes doesn't return and the WASPs have been conducting a search. Mandy steps out of her plane is taken down by the new Major Harvey Applegate. He chews her out for being late returning and lets her know in no uncertain words that he aims to close the WASP Program. He doesn't share the reason why. Sparks fly but they aren't from attraction. Her attitude and his anger don't do well together.

Mandy's faith is a part of her life in all that she does. This book has action, adventure, romance and the characters are likeable and well developed. This is the first time I've read Anne Greene but I will definitely be reading more of her books. I read the book in less than a day and wished it was longer.

I received this book from the Book Club Network  (www.bookfun.org) from the publisher and author to read and leave an honest review.  All opinions are my own and I highly recommend this book.  I received this book through www.bookfun.org (Book Club Network) and the publisher & author to read and leave my honest opinion.  All opinions are my own

Angel with Steel Wings by Anne Greene is a novel in the Women of Courage Series.  This is an extremely interesting World War II romance that lets the reader experience the challenges and excitement of the WASPS who supported the efforts of the fighter pilots during wartime.  These brave women rose to the challenge of test-piloting repaired war planes so as to free up the men to fly combat missions. 

Mandy McCabe loves to fly and lives to make her dream of logging enough flying hours and saving enough money to secure part-ownership in a Flight School where she flew near home.  She escaped her home in Hangman’s Hollow in Tennessee to avoid marriage and a bleak future there.  She had no intention for her plan to derail, no matter what the male brass at Camp Davis, North Carolina, had in mind for the WASPS in the program there.

Army Air Corp Major Harvey Applegate is in direct opposition to the WASP program due to the loss of his wife in test-piloting planes.  Left with a handicapped son to raise, he has no intentions of becoming involved with another woman, especially one in the program.  Many females have hopes of catching his attention, but he is oblivious to his effect on them.  His good looks, courage, and devotion to his son attract all of the women—except Mandy McCabe, whose sole focus is her future career. 

Each of them has their plan, but, little by little, as their paths cross and their lives connect, they have to reconsider and trust God for their futures.  This is a very well-crafted, enjoyable story that provides much insight into the WASP program and the vital role that these courageous women filled.  They blazed a trail for women to take their place in society as more than housewives and mothers.  I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading about World War II, pilots, and the women who supported the war effort by filling important jobs/positions necessary for victory.  I received this book through TBCN in exchange for an honest review.  (posted on Amazon, Good Reads, Barnes & Noble, and Books-a-Million)

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service