***** REVIEWS FOR CLOVERCROFT PUBLISHING: REFLECTIONS FROM GOD WHILE WAITING TO BE HEALED BY DR. LINDA SEGER - 20 PAPERBACKS (US ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 11.18.16

Sponsored by Linda Seger   #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (124 pages):

Almost everyone faces some physical or mental or emotional challenges. Spiritual people pray about it, hope, try to stay positive, sometimes argue with God, and remind God of the many promises there are in Scripture about healing. But sometimes, healing doesn't come, or doesn't come as desired. Although many turn their back on God when God doesn't heal, others stay in the struggle with God, expand their theology, and learn more about the nature of God and the nature of suffering.

Dr. Linda Seger, one of the world authorities on screenwriting, has struggled with dystonia (a movement disorder) for some years. Then, as she was improving, she was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in fall, 2015. Both disorders have caused physical, emotional, and spiritual frustrations and the rehabilitation for each has been counter to the other, causing her to make difficult choices, and to be challenged to persevere. In this book, she reflects on the many theological issues and spiritual issues that we encounter when we're ill - and how we re-form our relationship with God when healing doesn't come as desired.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Dr. Linda Seger has a background in both drama and theology. She has focused her career as an international script consultant, seminar leader in the area of screenwriting, and author of 9 books on screenwriting. In the last eight years, she has also been writing books on spirituality. Dr. Seger has built her business based on the spiritual principles in her books. She is dedicated to helping her clients express their spirituality through their writing and to deepening the themes and values found in films. She has long been interested in the relationship of spirituality and creativity. As a result of her broad religious background, she is able to nurture the spiritual values of others through her books and her public speaking.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Helen Mary Arndt
Joan Nienhuis Lana Phillips
Deana Dick Jackie McNutt
Jeanie Dannheim Jacqueline Robertson
Sonnetta Jones Kathy Schemmel
Becky Bob Kitchen
Rebecca Phelps Penny Marks
Vickie Jameson Mary Hake
Deborah Cawley Connywithay
Janice Sisemore Julie Horner

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Phred, Cheri, & Linda for the book!

Here is my review link: https://connywithay.wordpress.com/2016/12/17/reflections-with-god-w...

This review will be posted on the Book Club Network, DeeperShopping, and Amazon with links on Bookfun.org, Godinterest, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

I have come to really enjoy books written by this author. They are always informative and written with passion. I appreciate her openness and sharing personal struggles. As I began to read this book, I felt a sense of peace as the words soothed my soul. I'm sure there are many of us that are waiting to be healed from something. In some cases it is physical healing and in others it it emotional healing. I have been guilty of asking God why has He not healed me yet? The author makes a good point when she said, " Our struggle with health often triggers a struggle with faith." People around us are encouraging us to have faith but it sure is hard when you see nothing changing. I can sometimes get into the why me pity party and forget all about God's promises.

Do you find yourself angry at God when you are still waiting for your healing and nothing is happening? I never thought about the people who God places in our pathway as someone who could help me. We get so focused that we forget to look around us. We hold on to every word the doctor says in hopes of being cured. What we forget though is that there are other people who may have the answer we have been seeking. An interesting thought is seeking out someone with a similar illness and asking them for directions. Who better to ask then someone going through exactly what you are going through. What if that was God's plan all along? Yes we can get sidetracked and miss what God is trying to show us.

I really enjoyed the reference that the author used about Job. He was a man who lost everything and struggled for answers. When he realized that God was real he repented for doubting him. That is a great reminder for all of us to not give up but to keep fighting. The author encourages us to surround ourselves with family and friends who will support us and pray for us. Sometimes I find myself shutting out the world and trying to deal with things by myself. Isn't that a perfect time for the enemy to isolate you from the truths of God? Before I realize it, I find myself depressed, angry and lose my focus on His Word. The author provides many scriptures that are helpful as we go through our struggles. I find that saying the scriptures aloud gives me more strength to fight and not give up. There is power in His word.

This is a powerful book that will help you and encourage you as you walk through your illness. Reach out to God and rely on Him. Be conscious of people around us who want to help . Be sure and celebrate each improvement that brings you closer to your healing and never give up.

"We never walk alone and God promises never to leave us alone."

I received a copy of this book from Bookfun.org and the author. This is my honest opinion.
https://www.librarything.com/work/18709689/book/137098023
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1846774590
https://www.amazon.com/review/R3MBVBYZ7VBVS8/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=...
http://deana0326.blogspot.com/2016/12/reflections-with-god-by-linda...
My review is also posted on Deepershopping.

I have read the book and blogged my review: http://bit.ly/2hjwWDo

That blog posts to Facebook and Google+. I also placed reviews on Amazon, Deeper Shopping, GoodReads, and Twitter.

Here is the text of my blogged review:

It is a hard time when people of faith are waiting for healing. Seger has had that experience and shares here insights she has gained. She was diagnosed with cervical dystonia, a movement disorder where the brain sends the wrong message to a muscle.

Seger decided not to go with the Botox shots every three months for the rest of her life. She tried alternatives but they did not work. Then she found a chiropractic neurologist who had had some success in treating people with this condition. It's been seven years and there has been some improvement. She's been doing two to four hours of therapy every day all those years. Then, in 2015, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Now she is working with diet and supplements to reduce the chance of recurrence.

Seger shares her spiritual thoughts from her journey to health. These are universal spiritual principles for people dealing with with an illness that may or may not be healed. Some lessons she learned include realizing that the most important thing was not her healing but whether she loved God. She also learned to surrender and that it was not the same as resignation. She found that her illness brought her to a greater understanding of God and caused her to expand her relationship with Him. She also gained insights into listening to God, being willing to allow the Holy Spirit to work in her alongside her own efforts at healing.

Conservative evangelical Christians may have difficulty with Seger's spiritual generalizations. Her aim is to make her insights available to people of all faiths. For example, when she suggests we need a person with wisdom to help us, she suggests it could be a religious figure such as Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed or a saint.

Seger has given us a thoughtful book on the spiritual aspects of waiting for healing. It is designed to be an encouragement to all people of faith.

Linda Seger is a seminary graduate with degrees in Theology and Drama. She is a member of Colorado Springs Friends Meeting (Quakers) and lives in the Rocky Mountains near Colorado Springs with her husband.

Clovercroft Publishing, 144 pages.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through The Book Club Network. My comments are an independent and honest review.

Great book.

My review posted on Amazon and Goodreads

Reflections with God

I was given a copy of the book from the author and book club network for an opinion. This is a book that can be read more than once and be benefited from. This is about waiting to be healed and how it isn't always as fast as we think it should be. I was able to relate to this book in my current and past life. A book that everyone could relate to because either we have a illness so know someone else that does.

The following review has been posted with 5 of 5 stars on: Goodreads, DeeperShopping, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, our Facebook and my G+ accounts. I couldn't find it on Christianbook or Family Christian.

Thank you, Linda, for helping me find my 'Try' again!

What I received from reading ‘Reflections with God’` is invaluable. It is a book to keep handy to read, re-read and highly recommend and/ or purchase copies of for others who struggle with a chronic disease and their loved ones. There are such wonderful nuggets of wisdom and – dare I say hope – that will help someone with any disease or injury.

Each chapter is short with a specific subject, perfect for those who are in a season of injury or illness in which concentrating is hard. Each chapter builds on the one prior. There are four parts to the book: the first is ‘Questions, Concerns, and Struggles’, second is ‘The Journey of Faith, Dialogue, and Try’, third is ‘Surrender, but Don’t Give Up’, and fourth is ‘Hope in Spite Of’. There are chapters in each part that are helpful in any stage of one’s illness or injury. For example, many chapters in parts 3 and 4 apply to where I frequently am, but after a particularly challenging time, part 2 brought particular encouragement where the author helps me find my ‘Try’ again. She reminds me of celebrating the little victories and blessings. Each chapter begins with a verse of scripture or a quote by a noted person, one of whom is Dag Hammarskjold.

The author shares her feelings, faith and the challenges of concurrent injury and illness. One thing I find helpful is being reminded of ‘Expanding our Names for God’ and re-learning prayer and meditation while seeing Jesus in a particular attribute as it relates to where we are. She challenges me through ‘What Must I Do to Help God Heal Me?’, ‘Reflecting Light in our Brokenness’ and ‘The Third Day Always Comes’. In addition, I have learned how the author rejected the ‘Shadowy Dark Force’ that is sometimes an unwelcome guest.

The author shares the spiritual and medical team she has in her healing. Her two primary doctors have shared, one in the Forward and one in the Afterward. She writes with vulnerability that is refreshing. As a very intelligent and learned woman with a degree in theology, her writing is clear and can be understood even by those of us with frequent bouts of brain fog as a symptom of our illness. Her writing encourages, is empathetic without pity, and shows her journey in such a way that does not burden the reader with ‘shoulds’. This reader also found a companion on paper who has had some of the same feelings and continues to move forward. This reader is encouraged to know the Lord might want me to learn about Him, myself and what might need to be changing in me.

Do not let the part of the title “While Waiting to be Healed” stop you from reading it. The author, who anticipates healing, writes: ‘…we would like to be the person who is struck by the miraculous healing power of God…We recognize a miracle may or may not happen, but we know if we stop hoping for a miracle we would feel abandoned and lose hope.’ (page 140). A blessing to rich to miss in our journey is: “We have the possibility in our illnesses to see more deeply into life.” (page 136) I highly recommend this book to those with an illness or injury that may or may not require long-term healing as well as their loved ones and those who might minister to them.

From a grateful heart: I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review.

Thank you for letting me read and review. Review below

I received this wonderful book from The BookClub network and will always be grateful. This author writes beautifully and from the heart. I felt that this book was given to me at a time when I was beginning to feel sorry for myself. God really spoke to me while reading. I will be re reading this great book when I feel alone and in need of spiritual guidance.
Posted everywhere sold. Loved it!

For me the main theme of this book is summarized by author Linda Seger, Th.D. on page 28 when she states, “Our struggle with health often triggers a struggle with faith.” Our illness is a thorn in our side that must be dealt with.  It is often hard to align our illness with our faith in a loving and merciful God.  Why me?  How can God let this happen?  Is it a punishment for sins I have committed? These questions and others don’t stop but ultimately a close relationship with God is the answer needed. The challenge is to continue to trust God during our difficulties.

Life and things in nature grow naturally from small to larger.  We expect that our faith should grow exponentially in the same manner without any conscious effort on our part.  Unfortunately, like all things in life that are worthwhile, faith must be examined and nurtured to evolve and grow.  Only with determination and putting our energies into improving our relationship with our God will God come closer to us.

God is not just a healer but a source of strength.  He puts people into our lives to help us with our struggles.  Take this gift and put together a spiritual team for support.  It will be composed of people who all can help you in different ways according to their gifts: praying for your relationship with God; sending you inspirational writings; just listening to you or even bringing you meals.  You never can tell who will become an angel in your life.

Not all who desire healing will be restored back to perfection but all will become a new creation for good according to God’s plan.  Nevertheless, you must cling to God to obtain what He wants to give you because “all else is sinking sand”.  He is your Rock, your Shepherd, your Healer and your Helper but you must be a part of His team.  Be willing to change and follow where He leads you.  You may be pleasantly surprised!

After all that the author has and is going through, her book is a positive affirmation of faith that will be an inspiration to anyone dealing with their own illness or that of a loved one. If you get a copy of Linda’s book, please share it with others after reading it.  I know I will.

I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review from The Book Club Network at bookfun.org.

My review is posted on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million and Goodreads.

This short, contemplative nonfiction book shares the author’s personal story of her physical struggles with dystonia and cancer and her spiritual journey. Divided into four sections, this honest vulnerability details her experiences as well as her search for both spiritual and physical healing. It deals with questions, progress and lack thereof, insights, surrender, and hope. Even those who aren’t dealing with serious health conditions can relate to the feelings and desires expressed within these pages. The 35 brief chapters could be used as a type of daily devotional. The book also contains a Foreword and an Afterword by Seger’s main doctors. I found the text interesting and challenging. I hope I can maintain such a positive mindset during life’s trials.

(Sorry I couldn't get this done sooner. We were gone two weeks and came home to lots of snow and frozen pipes last night.)

Reviewed on FB, Amazon, BAM.

Thank you for allowing me to read and review this wonderful book! I have posted my review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, DeeperShopping, GoodReads and on my blog at https://lakesidelivingsite.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/reflections-wit...

“Reflections With God While Waiting to Be Healed,” by Linda Seger, is an information packed little book that contains 159 pages. Seger shares from her heart as she describes her experiences with dystonia and then cancer, and the many lessons that she learned during her journey to health. She understands how health and faith can work together. She also shares with the reader that sometimes, some people, do not find healing, but acceptance and the strength to continue on. There are some things that just can’t be returned, such as an amputated limb, but spiritual healing and acceptance are so very important.

“Reflections With God” is definitely a positive, uplifting book. It is filled with reminders that we belong to God and we must have faith, even when things do not go our way. His timing and His will, are both perfect. We need to learn to surrender our will. We need to experience life, not just sit back and keep waiting until we are healed to carry on with our lives. And during the journey, we must always love God!

While I am impressed with a lot of what Seger had to share, I was a bit disappointed to hear her suggest a few things I considered sort of New Age, Buddhist or Catholic rather than sticking with God’s word, which is found in the Holy Bible.

I received this book from The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review. This review is posted at Amazon, DeeperShopping Goodreads and Facebook. I could not find it available at CBD.

This small, easy to read book has hope and healing between its covers. The author has struggled for her own healing from dystonia and early stage breast cancer.  Even if you don't agree with all her theology, you cannot argue with her honest struggle to find hope and meaning in her illnesses.  She addresses every pat answer as to why Christians suffer and goes further and asks questions we all struggle with.  Questions like "What does God want from us?" and "Where is the Holy Spirit in all this?"

One of her answers is that "...many times, our God is too small and we need to expand our theology and broaden our relationship with the Most Holy One and Wholly One."  Serger is so honest and looks at answers she doesn't like and even ones she's afraid to entertain.  She says, "In the midst of this struggle, I decided not to turn my back on God. For me, there was no other place to be and no other place to stand--but on God's side.  So I move more deeply into this relationship." She talks about despair, depression, wanting to give up, feeling like no one understands. She offers the things that have helped her yet all the while sharing that she she's not at the end of her journey yet. And all this is offered in short chapters that almost read like a devotional, yet so not "preachy". 

This would be an  excellent gift for anyone suffering with long term illness.  For those of us blessed with good health it is an eye-opening experience into the world of pain and struggle of those who do suffer.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from The BookClub Network in exchange for my honest review. www.bookfun.org

Reflections with God While Waiting to Be Healed by Dr. Linda Seger is an uplifting and powerful message to everyone about a loving and healing God in times of pain and suffering.  She shares her wisdom and insights from her personal journey and trials with dystonia and also cancer.  She addresses questions and concerns and struggles; waiting; faith; surrender; hope and much more.

Each chapter begins with an inspiring scripture or quote such as the following:  “Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” –Hippocrates.  “The wish for healing has always been half of health.”—Lucius Annaeus Seneca.  “Life is not the way it’s supposed to be, it’s the way it is.  The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.”---Virginia Satir.  “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.”—Helen Keller.  “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”—Joseph Campbell.  Each one of these and others included in the book are thought-provoking and profound and a good introduction to the wisdom  that Dr. Seger shares.

Her approach to her afflictions and struggles is encouraging and inspiring and shows the resilience of the human spirit that hopes and trust in a loving and healing God.  There is much for anyone to reflect upon and to follow.  I recommend this amazing, enlightening book which I received through TBCN in exchange for an honest review.  (p0sted on Amazon, Good Reads, Christian Books, Deeper Shopping, Barnes & Noble, and Books-a-Million)

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service