Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

***** REVIEWS FOR BETHANY HOUSE PUBLISHERS: SEARCHING FOR ETERNITY BY ELIZABETH MUSSER - 20 PAPERBACKS (US ONLY) - ADDRESSES SENT 6.22.16

Sponsored by Elizabeth Musser  #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (433 pages):

Searching for Eternity A youth yanked out of the only life he's known to live on the other side of the Atlantic with a grandmother he's never seen before....
A mother who shrugs off her son's anguish with breezy assurances like, "You'll love America, Emile."...

A father's sudden disappearance from his son's life with no explanation or even a good-bye....

French-born Emile de Bonnery lands in the strange environment of 1960s Atlanta with decidedly mixed emotions. Some memories make Emile want to believe the best of his father. Others cause him to fear the worst. Does his mother know more than she's willing to tell?

Determined to learn the truth, Emile finds an ally and friend--who seems to be hiding secrets of her own. Together they search for answers...and what they find changes everything.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Elizabeth Musser, a native of Atlanta, Georgia now living in France, is a novelist who writes what she calls 'entertainment with a soul.' Elizabeth attended The Westminster Schools in Atlanta and Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee where she majored in French and English literature, graduated magna cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa honor society. 

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Deana Dick Diane Higgins
Diane Beason Kathy Sparks
Victoria Brinius Meagan Myhren Bennett
Rachael Merritt Britney Adams
Kimberly Napier Lori Parrish
Joan Boxell Mary Hake
Amy C Anne Rightler 
Donna McGinnia Pam Graber
Lori Weller Cindy J
Penny Marks Victor Gentile

Views: 288

Replies to This Discussion

"Searching for Eternity" by Elizabeth Musser is an interesting novel.  It is fiction with a little suspense added in.  This story follows the life of Emile De Bonnery.  He was born and raised in France but now he and his mother are in Atlanta coming to live with the grandmother he never met!  His father is not coming with him, and Emile is told that his father ran off with another woman.  However, Emile does not believe this about his father, and he's determined to find out where his father really is.  As Emile is trying to adjust to living and going to school in the states, he befriends a young girl his age who is just as determined to help Emile find his father.  This story becomes more complicated as you keep reading.  It definitely has a good bit of twists and turns.

If you like fiction with some suspense and a good bit of history, I believe you would like this novel.

I received this novel from Bookfun for my honest opinion.

I posted reviews on: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Christianbook, and Goodreads.

Thanks, Diane, for your honest review of 'Searching for Eternity'. You're right that the story gets more complicated as it goes on. I really found all the research I did for the novel fascinating and, at the same time, horrifying. There were many things I decided I just could not put in the novel because they were just too graphic--even if they were true concerning the brutality during WWII.

Thanks for reading and I hope you'll enjoy some of my other novels, too.

Blessings,

Elizabeth Musser

'Entertainment with a Soul'

www.elizabethmusser.com

Emile E Bonnery was born in France, then in the 1960s he ended up on the other side of the ocean, in Atlanta. While there, he discovers many things about his father, some good, some not so good. Emile finds a friend in search of their own answers. Together they search together. 

Searching for Eternity is such a well-written book. Set in the time of the French Resistance, Elizabeth Musser was able to make the time and the characters come to life. Her characters were well-rounded and very well defined. I feel like five stars is not enough for this book. Thank you for allowing me to read this book.

I was given this book by the author, Bethany House, and bookfun.org in exchange for my honest review. 

This review was also posted on Amazon GoodReads, Barnes and Noble, CBD, Baker Publishing Book Reviews, http://ksnapier.blogspot.com/2016/08/book-review-searching-for-eter...

and

https://ksnapier475.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/book-review-searching-...

Thanks so much for your honest review of 'Searching for Eternity', Kimberly. I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much. It's always music to an author's ears to hear that her characters really come to life. Merci!

I really found all the research I did for the novel fascinating and, at the same time, horrifying. There were many things I decided I just could not put in the novel because they were just too graphic--even if they were true concerning the brutality during WWII.

Thank you for reading it, and I hope you will enjoy reading some of my other novels, too.

Blessings,

Elizabeth Musser

www.elizabethmusser.com

Searching for Eternity by Elizabeth Musser is one of those books that makes a reader just say, "Wow! Just Wow!" The story, definitely not a light and fluffy tale, follows Emile as he is wrenched from his contented, reasonably serene life in France with his parents to the unknown world of Atlanta, Georgia. New schools with bullies and kids who tease the new kid on the block. Nothing is familiar, and he's homesick. He finally meets a friend--one who's "hoping for a fairy-tale ending for her thus-far tragic life." One who's childhood has been stolen and has need of a safe room. Where will their friendship take them? Can they navigate their world that is one of bullies and racism, abandonment, alcoholism, abuse, secrets, and lies? Where is God in all of this? Has He abandoned them as well? As these two friends move into adulthood there are many lessons to learn. Lessons like caring for others and also understanding it's a lot harder to hate a whole group of people when you get to know individuals, and knowing there is more to life than just looking for answers. How does one learn to forgive? Can they learn to trust that God knows and cares and will let them in on all the secrets in His time? Musser has given readers an amazing story of friendship, family, and faith blended with the horrors of WWII and the Resistance and the hunt for war criminals. Searching for Eternity is a raw, emotionally gripping novel--one that will leave a lasting impression on its readers.
I received a copy of this book through The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) in exchange for my honest review. I have posted reviews on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Deepershopping.com, Christianbook.com, Bookfun.org, Booksamillion.com, Familychristian.com, Kobobooks.com, librarything.com, and GoodReads.com, if available.

Dear Anne,

It's my turn to say 'wow'! Thank you for this wonderful review of 'Searching for Eternity'. It is always very gratifying to an author when a reader understands and appreciates the layers in a story. I really found all the research I did for the novel fascinating and, at the same time, horrifying. There were many things I decided I could not put in the novel because they were just too graphic--even if they were true concerning the brutality during WWII. But I learned so much about my now-beloved city of Lyon as I researched. Another interesting fact is that Emile's grandmother's house on Anjaco Rd. was the house where I lived as a little girl and then where my grandmother lived. I am going to try to attach a photo of it below.

Thank you again for reading SFE (as I call it) and I hope you'll have a chance to read some of my other novels, too.

Blessings,

Elizabeth Musser

www.elizabethmusser.com

Attachments:

The story begins with Emile de Bonnery and his mother on a flight to America and he is furious. He does not want to leave his beloved father or grandmother to begin a new life in Atlanta, Georgia, especially since he has never met the grandmother he will be living with. He has been told that his father has abandoned him and his mother for another woman. Since Emile absolutely adored his father, this added to his fury.

Emile has a rough time settling into his new life, but one thing that soothes him are the cherished gifts from his father that he smuggled in his suitcase to America. Each of these gifts is introduced through a flashback and you read about his relationship with his father and how he won’t accept that it was another woman that took his father. Rather, he thinks his father is a spy.

Eternity comes into his life and becomes a true friend to him. Through this friendship they each are able to maneuver through their teen years and all of the bullying, teasing and outright racism. Emile’s American grandmother, over the years, shares her faith with Emile and Eternity, who both eventually come to realize God’s faithfulness to them.

This novel is one that includes some tough topics such as racism and the Civil Rights Movement, World War II and its genocide, death and alcoholism. Emile gradually sees that there are those who will standup for what is right, even if they are the only one doing so. His grandmother was a great example of this.

This is a story that lingers with the reader long after they finish the book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to read a book with depth, great characters, and a bit of mystery.

Dear Kathy,

Thank you so much for your review of 'Searching for Eternity'. I loved hearing that the story 'lingered' with you--that is music to an author's ears. I call my writing 'entertainment with a soul' and my desire is for my readers to find the 'soul' in my story. I think you found it!

All the research I did for the novel was fascinating and, at the same time, horrifying. There were many things I decided I could not put in the novel because they were just too graphic--even if they were true concerning the brutality during WWII. But I learned so much about my now-beloved city of Lyon as I researched. Another interesting fact is that Emile's grandmother's house on Anjaco Rd. was the house where I lived as a little girl and then where my grandmother lived. I am going to try to attach a photo of it below. (For some reason it didn't work, but if you look at my reply to the review above yours, the photo is there.)

Thank you again for reading SFE (as I call it) and I hope you'll have a chance to read some of my other novels, too.

Blessings,

Elizabeth Musser

www.elizabethmusser.com

This dramatic novel reads as if it could be torn from the pages of twentieth century history. From World War II to American Civil Rights, from Lyon, France, to Atlanta, Georgia, the authentic setting and well-developed characters sweep readers along in its compelling story. Much of the book deals with painful circumstances, including bullying, abuse, abandonment, and addictive personalities, but an element of hope remains throughout. Told in first person from the perspective of Emile de Bonnery, who is 13 as the story opens, we see him stretch and endure as he matures. He treasures the items from his father’s time in the French Resistance, which Papa gave him at each childhood birthday. The secrets behind these ordinary objects seem to symbolize the many secrets he finds in life. Eternity Jones, his best friend, also deals with a traumatic past but pushes past that to help Emile find answers. Some of the story was difficult to read, but the suspense and the way the main characters made me care drove me to the satisfying conclusion. I appreciate that it wasn’t too graphic and recommend this historic tale. I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network), and this is my honest review. Reviewed on FB, Amazon, CBD, and amtrying to post on BAM.

Dear Mary, Thanks so much for reading and reviewing 'Searching for Eternity'. My two sons were young teens at the time I wrote this novel and they helped me get into Emile's skin, especially since they were raised in France but traveled back to America at times to be with grandparents. (Those trips were a bit less traumatic for them than for Emile.)

All the research I did for the novel was fascinating and, at the same time, horrifying. There were many things I decided I could not put in the novel because they were just too graphic--even if they were true concerning the brutality during WWII. But I learned so much about my now-beloved city of Lyon as I researched. Another interesting fact is that Emile's grandmother's house on Anjaco Rd. was the house where I lived as a little girl and then where my grandmother lived.

Blessings,

Elizabeth Musser

www.elizabethmusser.com

I loved this complex and intriguing tale!  Impeccably researched and beautifully written, Searching for Eternity sprang to life before my eyes.  Each turn of the page drew me deeper and deeper into the drama, and thoughts of the story lingered long after the last word had been read.  If you enjoy stirring historical fiction, I highly recommend Searching for Eternity!

I received a complimentary copy of this book through The Book Club Network.  No review was required, and all thoughts expressed are my own.  I have submitted my review to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christianbook, and Goodreads.  

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service