SUZANNE WOODS FISHER FEATURED AUTHOR OF THE LESSON 5 Book Giveaway

AUTHOR BIO: In no particular order, Suzanne Woods Fisher is a wife, mother, writer, lifelong student of the Bible, host of Amish Wisdom (a weekly radio show), raiser of puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind, a gardener and a cook...the latter two with sporadic results. 

Suzanne has loved to write since she was a young teen. After college, she started to write for magazines and became a contributing editor for Christian Parenting Today magazine. Her family moved to Hong Kong for four years, just as the internet was developing, and she continued to write articles in a 44-story high-rise apartment, sending manuscripts 7,000 miles away with a click of a key.

After returning from Hong Kong, Suzanne decided to give her first novel a try. For four and a half months, she worked on an antediluvian computer in a cramped laundry room. She didn't even tell her husband what she was up to. When the novel was completed, she told her family at dinner one night that she had written a book. "That's why there's no food in this house!" said her slightly insensitive sons.

Undaunted...Suzanne found a small royalty publisher for that book and wrote three more (all earned multiple). With help from an agent, she has five books currently under contract with Revell. On September 1st, Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World, a non-fiction book of stories and examples about the Old Order Amish, will be released by Revell. The Choice, a novel about the Amish, will follow on January 1st.

Writing, for Suzanne, is a way to express a love of God and His word. With every book or article, she hopes readers get a sense of what faith really looks like in the daily grind. She hopes they realize that life can be hard, but God is good, and never to confuse the two. 

Suzanne can be found on-line at: www.suzannewoodsfisher.com 

BOOK DESCRIPTION:  In her wildest dreams, spunky and impulsive nineteen-year-old Mary Kate Lapp never imagined herself behind a schoolteacher's desk. A run-in (literally) with the schoolteacher compels her to act as a substitute teacher, just as her restless desire to see the world compels her to apply for a passport . . . just in case. The only thing of interest to M.K. in the sleepy Amish community of Stoney Ridge is the unexplained death of a sheep farmer that coincided with the arrival of a mysterious young man into the community. Frustrated that no one takes the crime seriously, she takes matters into her own hands. Unfortunately, as tends to be the case for M.K., she jumps headlong into trouble.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE QUESTIONS BELOW TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING!

1. Would you like to life in an Amish community? If so why? If not, why?

2. The Amish life style involved a lot of physical labor and hard work. What work would you like to do and what would you wish someone else could do?

3. What do you look forward to reading when you pick up an Amish book? What is the draw for you? What do you enjoy most about them?

********DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING JANUARY 30th  *** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN 

Views: 893

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to live in an Amish community. The Amish books I read remind me a lot of when I was growing up. I just like the slow pace life much better than the fast pace we live today.

Blessings...Joy Hannabass

I love reading about their strong faith ad community. I miss where your eighties would help you out. I love their commitment to family.

When I pick up an Amish book, I look forward to reading about the different culture and lifestyle and to see how in quite a lot of ways, its not too dissimilar from our "Englisher" ways as the parents just want to raise well-mannered and respectful children who will go on to lead productive lives of their own.  I usually enjoy reading about the Amish and the secrets they have that we as "Englishers" may not even realize they could have.

#3 I enjoy reading Amish books in which the characters show their constant realization of living life under / with / through God's sovereignty and Presence.  Perhaps a slower pace of life fosters that. But I am sure the sheer physical labor of doing life "from scratch" is exhausting. I also realize repetitive tasks can foster skills and a sense of accomplishment which we may miss in a more hurried lifestyle.

1. Would you like to life in an Amish community? If so why? If not, why?

No but I wouldn't mind visiting with a family for a few days. I am far too technically oriented to live without television, cell phone, and laptop LOL but I know I could handle it for a few days.

I love their simple every day life.  Seems like there is no worries, but I know there is. 

I think living in an Amish community might be alright for a short time.  I think what I like about it is the closeness of family, the same way of thinking, the ability to meet your own needs through the community.  However, I am a child of the time and place that I have grown up and I'm not sure if I would be happy without the luxuries that I would not have if I lived Amish (ex. computers, telephones, cars, etc.)

Gail Mundy

1.  I have often thought that the amish community because it applies alot of the helping of each other qualities that I sometimes find lacking in our Christian communities would be great.  There alot about the community that would fall apart if you didn't have all the rules and the a group of men, or the bishop, in control and people willing to obey!!  The concept is great if we could keep our Christian freedom in Christ and still be able to be a good witness to the outside world.   It is probably why the jews are not separate today.  God wanted they to stay separate but even back then when communication and travel weren't easy the jews couldn't do it either.  Only because of the strick rules and separation can some of the amish stay that way even today.

I think that it would be very interesting to live in a Amish community for a short period of time just to really be able to embrace how they live. I wouldn't want to live their on a permanent basis tho as I like my conveniences and too much hard physical work for me.

Blessings,

Jo

I love Amish books - they take me away to a simple time - when people could trust people and everyone helped out their neighbors. It was hard work but rewarding all the same. Amish stories usually show the grace of God towards His people. They are the kind of books I'm not ashamed to carry openly in public.

Debbie Reetz

charlys1504@ gmail.com

In many ways the Amish life and it's peacefulness is very appealing. But I like the modern comforts of a daily hot shower, electric heaters and my books way to much.

please stop emailing replies

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service