ABOUT BOOK: As beautiful Lake Geneva plays host to Chicago's elite in the exciting Big-Band era, aspiring reporter Meg Alden wants to work in a man's world. Will the man who steals her job also win her heart?

It's 1933, and beautiful Lake Geneva is a summertime playground for Chicago's wealthy. Local girl Meg Alden works at the town newspaper, but she aspires to be a real reporter. When a job opens up, Meg spies an opportunity to break into the business -- until Jack Wallace, son of the newspaper's owner, is hired instead. How will Meg ever be able to work with the man who stole her job... and makes her pulse race?

CONGRATS to the following winners

Pamela just gave me the list. All of the listed will receive an Ebook. PLEASE Send her your contact information to pamsmeyers@gmail.com 

Deana Dick

Connie Saunders

Lynda Edwards

Pam Graber

Galinda Barefoot

Victoria Pless

Jeanie Dannheim

Meagan Myhren-Bennett

Robbie Pink

Vickie Jameson

Anne Rightler

#AD/Giveaway sponsored by author

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

I forgot to tell Pamela thank you!

Thank you so much for the book, I truly enjoyed it!

Surprised by Love in Lake Geneva is a love story and history story successfully wrapped into one good read. The two main characters are very well developed. The story flows nicely and is believable. The side characters are understandable but not as well developed though this in no way detracts from the book. The editing was good but not perfect. A few wrong words a few missed punctuation or just wrong punctuation marks but nothing so annoying as having to re-read to understand. Just there. I would recommend this book to any who want a nice love story/ history lesson. Though I say history lesson, it is in no way like a text book. Just a look at life in the early 1930s.  I was given this book through Bookfun.org because I asked to be able to read and review it. This review is also posted on Amazon, Goodreads, and Librarything.

Thanks for the review Victoria!

Thank you for the chance to read and review this fabulous novel! The review, as follows, as been posted on Goodreads, Amazon, Husband's and my Facebook and my G+.

Surprised by Love in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin is one of the better Christian women’s fiction/ romance reads of the summer! It is fabulous historical fiction taking place in the real town of Lake Geneva, and includes the grand opening of the gorgeous Riviera, a ballroom and place to celebrate events.  The best part is seeing Proverbs 3:5-6 change the characters.

Meg is a young woman who believes the Lord made her to be a journalist. She is working at the paper in Lake Geneva, writing call-in ads and social events. When she hears that one of their two journalists left, she hopes Mr. Zimmer, owner of the paper, might let her fill in. Before the empty desk is cold, the new journalist arrives.

Jack is the new guy at the newspaper. Unbeknownst to anyone other than his family and Mr. Zimmer, he is the son of a major newspaper owner in Chicago. His father wants him to experience all aspects of a small-town paper. As an old friend of Mr. Zimmer, they felt Jack would learn a lot as one of the two newsmen in Lake Geneva. Lester, Mr. Zimmer’s son, is the other newsman, but his heart isn’t in it. Meg has been editing Lester’s work for some time but knows it is dishonest and will discontinue.

There are few women journalists in 1933, and it isn’t going to happen in her home town. She and her best friend Helen have been talking about moving to Hollywood. Meg’s friend Mattie has a job at a paper in LA, where she hopes to get in and move up. Jack is charming and helpful, even wants Meg to help him learn his way around town, especially the construction on the Riviera. Then her mother meets Jack, invites him for dinner, and invites him to church. Just her luck, Jack is then invited home for Sunday dinner!

The sermon series is on Proverbs 3:5-6, and what it means to trust God. With everything. Meg struggles with her faith since the Lord hasn’t given her the job He made her to do. Jack considers what it means to trust in God instead of himself. Meg and Jack become tentative friends through emergencies in the Zimmer family, then in Jack’s family. Meg faces a hard choice to find the truth about her father’s secrets, costing his livelihood and likely her relationship with her family – or to trust that his actions many years ago truly benefitted someone other than himself.

The characters are very likable and well-rounded. I like Meg, and empathize with her frustrations of what the unwritten rules for women at work in 1933. Her struggle with faith in the Lord is voiced believably well. I also like Jack and Helen; we get to be “in on” many aspects of Jack’s life. Including how he feels about Meg.

This inspiring and delightful novel is the reissue of Love Finds you in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. This is `historical fiction, and as relevant to women today as the feelings are similar for comparable situations in any generation. and God’s Word still changes hearts and lives. This is a treat for the senses, with descriptions of the best of the seasons through eyes that know Lake Geneva well and love it. The scripture verses are pertinent to the lives of many readers, this one included, and seeing how hearts are changed through it is refreshing. The end is very satisfying with no loose ends. I highly recommend this novel to women who enjoy Christian historical fiction with the surprise of romance.

From a grateful heart: I was given this eBook by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review.

Historical fiction is my go-to genre; I read more of it than any other. Any time an author writes in multiple genres, I often read their historicals first, and while that wasn’t the case with Ms. Meyers, knowing I enjoyed her contemporary novel had me eager to pick up the reissue of one of her older titles. I lost myself in early 1930s Wisconsin as a young woman struggles to make her dream of being a reporter a reality in the male-dominated field.

There is a lot of historical detail pertaining to newspaper publishing—it is sometimes hard to remember that things were not always done on computers and this novel is an education on how a weekly newspaper was put together. Daily life also has its place and I smiled while reading about some board game predecessors of Monopoly, envisioning my own family playing Sunday afternoon board games around the dining table.

While I could easily understand the pull and tug of career juxtaposed with family concerns, I struggled to relate to Meg’s stubborn desire to shield herself from all pain, even to the exclusion of happiness. Everyone has difficulties in life, however, and perhaps her motivations stemmed from repeated blows to her dreams. 

Jack made more sense to me, at least his struggles in trusting God seemed believable as someone who has not yet come to faith, tentatively testing whether God could really be counted on for guidance in every situation.

Portrayed in this book are people in varying stages of their walks with God; seekers, new believers, those whose faith has grown stagnant, and parents worrying over the spiritual condition of their children all have a place in these pages. I feel that it gives a good cross-section of faith and realistic representations of each person and his or her struggles.

I enjoyed this story of a past time in a place very unlike my own life experiences. Those who enjoy books that transport them to another time and into a small town will likely appreciate much about this novel, especially those who also have an interest in historical newspapers or women in the workforce.

I received a free copy of this book from the author through The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) but was not required to post a positive review. The thoughts expressed are both honest and my own.
I posted the above review at:
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2129021604?book_show_action=f... (which also shares it to my Facebook feed)
I also tried posting it to Amazon, but they rejected my review.  The only thing I can think of is that they are objecting to my disclaimer that I received a free copy because it shows as a Verified Purchase (I received it as a gift from the author).  I did take out "The Book Club Network" and try resubmitting it, so we'll see if that helps.  I have never had this happen before.

Surprised by Love in Lake Geneva by Pamela Meyers is a captivating romance. Set in the early 1930s readers get a glimpse of a beautiful resort town and the opening of The Riveria, a ballroom that was beyond imagination. Meg and Jack's love story is sweet and yet not without its ups and downs. How could she ever love a man who stole her job? And she wouldn't be able to go against office protocol, would she? Trusting God is hard sometimes and even though God said He has a plan, Meg's life seems to be unraveling. The characters are endearing and realistic and the author knows how to draw readers into their stories. In this enjoyable story of family and friends, there is a thread of faith that brings comfort and hope that there is a God who can be trusted no matter what the circumstances are. Meyers is a new-to-me author and I will be looking to read more of her books.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Book Club network. A favorable review was not required and opinions are my own.

Jeanne, Lynda and Anne! THANKS for your reviews!

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service