Sponsored by Nordskog Publishing   #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (296 pages):

King Olaf Trygvesson is dead, but his sister's husband, Erling Skjalgsson, carries on his dream of a Christian Norway that preserves its traditional freedoms. Rather than do a dishonorable deed, Erling relinquishes his power and lands. He and his household board ships and sail west to find a new life with Leif Eriksson in Greenland. Lars Walker's third novel about the Vikings begins in the year 1001. King Olaf Trygvesson is dead, but his sister's husband, Erling Skjalgsson, carries on his dream of a Christian Norway that preserves its traditional freedoms. Rather than do a dishonorable deed, Erling relinquishes his power and lands. He and his household board ships and sail west to find a new life with Leif Eriksson in Greenland. This voyage, though, will be longer and more dangerous than they ever imagined. It will take them to an unexplored country few Europeans had seen. Demonic forces will pursue them, but the greatest danger of all may be in a dark secret carried by Father Aillil, Erlings Irish priest.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Lars Walker knows not only his Norse history, but Viking society, manners and technology as well, making the book a painless education in the ancient world’s ways of living and thinking.

PAPERBACKS PAPERBACKS
Deana Dick Meagan Myhren-Bennett 
Shawnee Helvey Kris Markovich
Victoria Brinius Nyla Wilkerson
Sonnetta Jones Penny Marks
Kimberly Napier Mary Hake
Virginia Winfield Anne Rightler
Donna McGinnis Michele Tutor
Vickie Jameson Shirley Strait
Janet Arkills Carrie Gould
Amy Smelser Charlene Durham

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

This was originally posted in the READERS ONLY GROUP. I copied Deana's review here in the publisher's group to make it easer to find.

Reply by Deana Dick on January 25, 2017 at 8:49pm

This is not my typical genre to read but I found the writing to be so descriptive I had to continue on. I love books that allow readers to travel to different eras and explore different cultures. I knew few little about the Vikings and what their beliefs were. The author does a great job of telling a story that makes you feel like you are right there with the characters. They are bold, strong and fierce and have a determination to enjoy their adventure on the high seas.

I am not a fan of the ocean and have no desire to ever travel on a ship. I don't even know how to swim. It was easy for me to sympathize with Father Ailiil who is not thrilled with the turbulent waves as the water splashed continually. He just couldn't get a break. It was intriguing to learn that he was willing to get on a ship when he gets news of his sister. He has long thought to be dead but rumors have given him hope. It sure would have to be something really important for me to want to step on a ship and travel . Will he find his sister? The story is captivating and really has some great action throughout the story. What object is discovered that will have an impact on characters?

I really found myself intrigued by the mystery in the book and the action that kept a great pace during the story. There are several characters in the book that I found to be interesting and at times a bit funny with a sarcastic tone. It made the story lively and I have now found a new author to read .

I received a copy of this book from Bookfun.org. The review is my honest opinion.
https://www.librarything.com/work/8404194/book/138230882
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1892224450
http://deana0326.blogspot.com/2017/01/west-oversea-by-lars-walker.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2CAYPU40HF9LW/ref=cm_cr...
My review is also posted on CBD and Deepershopping.

This was originally posted in the READERS ONLY GROUP. I copied the review and put it here to make it easier to find.

Reply by Anne Rightler on January 8, 2017 at 8:10pm

West Oversea by Lars Walker is a remarkable historical tale. First millennial Viking history is a little-known world to this reader and I imagine to many others as well. Walker does a great job, giving readers a seemingly realistic view of the Viking world--a harsh and hostile world. Apparently this is a sequel but can easily be read as a stand-alone story. Characters are strong and yet have the same feelings and failings as folks centuries hence. With the beginnings of Christian faith in their hearts, a Viking crew has decided to go to Greenland. But with the sea-bewildering winds, the ship is thrown off course. The book is full of compelling adventures of a people who need to rely on their crewmates and cunning to survive. Adventures that show changelings, shapeshifters, and animal creatures--are they real or imagined? And how does this faith in God differ from the superstitions of their former beliefs? What about this Eye of Odin? Does it really give Sight, visions of the future? Can it be trusted? Will they find Father Aillil's sister or will the trip be a bust? Walker tells a story of the weaknesses of the human soul and the hope that faith in God alone can bring.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Book Club network. A favorable review was not required and opinions are my own.

I have posted reviews on the following sites: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Deepershopping, Christian Book, Booksamillion, FamilyChristian, LibraryThing, and GoodReads if available.

West Oversea: A Norse Saga of Mystery, Adventure, and faith by author Lars Walker is a 296 page paperback book. The cover is intriguing and inviting. It was my first experience with any of Author Walker's books. This Viking novel was extremely well written. This is Book Two in a series but can be read as a standalone with no problem.

The author's writing style is nice. His characters are well defined and well rounded. Some are very funny and some downright sarcastic. Their dialogue and banter flows smoothly without awkwardness. Some will grab at your heart, some get sympathy, and others are just not likable. That is the mark of a good author.

I found the book easy to read. Written in a narrative style it flowed well and made sense. The descriptions were enough that I felt like I was transported to another place and time but not long and boring. Author Walker had done thorough research. The book was well organized and well planned. It was well written, too. There were some twists and turns in it to keep readers guessing and on their toes.

This tale is set in 1001 Norway. King Olaf is dead, and his brother-in-law Erling Skjalgsson is continuing the quest to make Norway a Christian nation. Through an unfortunate happening he ends up going to sea with Leif Eriksson searching for a new life with his family. His priest, Aillil, goes with them, also. In this journey they will experience adventures, danger, joy, and spiritual warfare, along with their faith in God. They will encounter storms, creatures, and nightmarish things, real or imagined. This book will stay with you long after you put it down. There is so much in it to contemplate.

I enjoyed this interesting Christian action, adventure, mystery, Viking novel. It was so different from most fiction that I read. I would recommend it to anyone that likes Vikings, historical fiction, mysteries, or wants to try something new. Read it with a friend. You will want to discuss this one. I rated it a 5 out of 5 stars. I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and this is my honest review. Reviews were posted on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, CBD, Deepershopping, Goodreads, TBCN, and will be featured on one of my Monday "Read a Book" blogs and Facebook page.

THANKS for your review Nyla and for telling us where you posted it on the web! Grin!

Here is my review that I posted on Blooming with Books, GoodReads, Amazon, BN, CBD with links on Facebook and Twitter.

West Oversea

By Lars Walker

A Norse saga of mystery, adventure and faith...

Father Aillil is priest to those who live and serve under the authority of Erling Skjalgsson. When he hears rumors of an Irish thrall who fits the description of his sister Maeve, Father Aillil seeks Erling's aid in searching out this woman who has been taken to Greenland. 

When Erling's long-lost, presumed-dead, elder brother returns to Norway he gives over his leadership to Karri rather than fight for his rule. This frees Erling to make the journey across the sea that Aillil desires.

But nothing is ever as easy as it sounds and the party that travels with Erling and Aillil faces dangers that are both unknown and expected. But the greatest danger may be the one Aillil carries with him - one that threatens his faith by tempting him with the gods of old that still vie for the hearts and souls of the people who call the far northern countries home.

This book will expose the reader to the Norse history and mythology that shaped a region. There are definite elements of fantasy throughout.  

There is a map at the beginning of the book so that the reader can visualize this journey and there is a list of characters which I for one definitely referenced while reading. This isn't light reading but it is entertaining and somewhat educational. This book is geared towards older teen and adult readers though younger teens who have advanced reading comprehension are sure to enjoy it.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher through BookFun with the expectations of a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.   

THANKS Meagan for your review!

West Oversea by Lars Walker, A Review

This ancient Norse tale takes readers beyond Norway to Iceland, the northeastern shore of North America, and Greenland via a Viking ship around AD 1000. Although emerging Christians (Catholic), paganism still plays a major role in the culture. This journey is wrought with danger and demonic activity as well as adventure and suspense. I didn’t care for all the killing, but realize it was realistic to the time and place. Also, there are so many characters named it’s hard to keep track, even with most of them listed in the front. The novel does give a sense of the history and setting, which seem authentic, although the author admits he took liberties in constructing this fictional account. Within the story is wisdom that could be applied to modern times, such as the discussion of the need for law. “If you want to be free you must strive to be good.” I received a copy from Book Fun Network. All opinions are my own.

Reviews posted on FB, BAM, Amazon, BnN, CBD

The storyline and the author's sense of humor drew me in. It was a little confusing for me because I was not familiar with the names of the Norse people but that did not detract from the story. I wanted to know what happened. I was not aware it was part of a series. This story is a reminder that no matter how far you go you can return home. Look out for the little gems that the author disperses throughout these pages. I received this book from Bookfun.org for an honest review. The opinions expressed are entirely my own.  

Thanks for the Review!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service