GIVEAWAY EVENT - Kicks off at

"Live" Chat

NOVEMBER 13th at 8 PM

Eastern Standard Time

Rebecca’s Redemption

A nurse seeking redemption for past sins

joins a doctor contending against the jungle.

Both healers need healing.

Rebecca Singer once was the kind of nurse who partied all weekend and closed the bar with the last karaoke tune. Then she met the Lord and vowed to make up to Him for those wasted years by serving in the worst place in the world. She determined to earn her redemption in the Brazilian Amazon jungle.

Dr. Ed Pierce, a widower with two young daughters, operates a Christian hospital in the Brazilian Amazon. A lifelong believer, he struggles with the tragedy of losing his wife—his love, the mother of his children. When the mission board agrees to hire a nurse, he requests an American who can split her time between the hospital and homeschool his children.

ABOUT AUTHOR: Born and reared in Atmore, Alabama, Lee Carver (nee Leola Merriwether) had never moved until going off to college. Graduating from the University of Montevallo, AL with a double major in biology and chemistry plus a minor in French, she accepted a full scholarship for a Ph.D. in biochemistry and expected to spend the rest of her life in a lab.

Pushed into a blind date with Darrel Carver, she married him four months later and soon left academia. The family budded during Darrel's years as a Navy pilot and grew during his international business career. With son Quinn and daughter Kelly, they have lived in eight of the United States and six foreign countries.

Darrel retired early to volunteer as a missionary pilot in the Brazilian Amazon, where Lee made their home in Manaus a free hotel for missionaries, pilots, aviation mechanics, and volunteers.

Now empty-nesters, the Carvers have re-retired in Texas, where Lee currently writes inspirational fiction and they both continue with volunteerism related to missionary aviation and local missions.

Lee writes inspirational fiction; that is, fiction from the Christian world-view. She has also published a book of anecdotes from around the globe as "The Most Excellent Adventure", an autobiography of their missionary years in Brazil in "Flying for Jesus", and co-authored the adventurous lives of Brazilian missionaries Alan and Barbara Bachmann in "Married to Brazil".

1) Are any of you involved in mission work? If so, can you us about it? 

2. Do you and/or your church support missions? If so, what mission work?

3. Brazil, of course, is in the Southern Hemisphere, so its seasons are the reverse of the US. How would the celebration of Christmas differ for you or your family if you lived in Brazil?

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me

Nora St.Laurent

#AD Contest Sponsored by Author/Publisher

Views: 282

Replies to This Discussion

Lee:  I am really enjoying Rebecca's Redemption and will soon finish and post a review.  Thank you for contributing to TBCN.  Merry Christmas!  Missed you tonight at chat.  Jackie R.

I was hoping to be on the chat tonight, but our Home Owners Assn. had a huge meeting. We voted in a new board, and I felt it was too important to miss. The meeting was exactly at the same time as the Chat.

Glad you're enjoying Rebecca's Redemption. Some of the readers here say it's my best yet. I was concerned that it might be "too Christian" to sell, but apparently my readers aren't put off by that. As I said in the back of the book, God told me to write it. Honest.

Rebecca's Redemption is the third book about missionaries in Brazil. It brings in a couple of characters from previous books but mostly focuses on Rebecca and Dr Ed. The story flows well. The characters are fairly well developed but not deep. The plot is easy to follow. The editing was done well, but not perfect at all. There were a few misspelled words, one of the Drs had a "temporary name change" and one place where the wording of the sentence was a bit confusing but none of these issues were enough to ruin the book. They were just noticeable. 

The story itself is a Christian book but not preachy. It shows an area a new Christian may be struggling with and good, Biblical thinking to deal with it. The book is also a love story, but not steamy at all. The backdrop is the Amazon jungle and the description is nice. I enjoyed the book and I would recommend it to any looking for a good Christian book. It's more a light read and easy. I would recommend this book to my friends without hesitation. I requested this book and it was given to me by the author.  I was not required to write a review, I chose to write this. This review is also posted on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and Librarything.

Victoria, do you have notes on the "temporary name change?" I'd like to fix that, and also the confusing sentence. The book was professionally edited, but a perfect manuscript is rare. Especially since I also do edits for other authors, I'd like to fix anything and everything. Thank you for your review.

Rebecca’s Redemption by Lee Carver is book three in the engaging series Amazon Jungle.  The author portrays missionary life in the Amazon with insight into the hardships and adjustments that face those dedicated to their calling.  Though a series, each book can be read as a stand-alone story, but readers of the series recognize former characters in the new book.

Single missionary nurse, Rebecca Singer, is a recent convert and was allowed through the approval process amazingly fast.  She wants to serve God to make up for the mistakes and sins of her former life.  She is gifted in nursing and a caring spirit for others, especially for children.  Her position is an assistant in the hospital which is run by Dr. Ed Pierce, a recent widower, whose two wonderful little girls she will also teach.  This is a very intriguing story that conveys the struggles of medical missionaries who also desire to witness to God’s love.  Rebecca and Dr. Ed find themselves drawn to each other while fighting their own personal battles.

As with all of the titles in the Amazon Jungle series, the reader will be immersed in the culture and challenges of the characters.  The story, once started, is hard to put down.  I highly recommend this book which I received through TBCN, and I was not asked to write a positive review but to give my honest opinion.  (posted on Amazon, Good Reads, and B & N; although other titles were found on Books-a-Million, this title was not)

THANKS for the review Jacqueline and Carrie!

Rebecca accepted the call to become a missionary nurse in the Amazon. A recent convert to Christianity, she feels she needs to sacrifice 7 years to make up for her past. She soon finds out that she doesn't have to work for forgiveness, it has already been given to her through Christ.
I enjoyed this story and the characters. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Sorry it took me so long to get this review up.  It is also posted on Goodreads and Amazon.  Thanks for the great read!

Thank you, Carrie. I appreciate your review.

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service