By Kara Isaac

JULY 21st

A Melody for James

(A Song of Suspense series book #1)

By Hallee Bridgeman

JANUARY BOOK CLUB PICK

Lady Jayne Disappeared
By Joanna Davidson Politano

My Thoughts: This is a historical that takes place in a time period that sent people to debtors’ prison. The Aurelie lived there with her father. She’s set free once her father passes and she finally meets her family – one that didn’t know she existed. She’s also in search of her mother.

Aurelie is an author and she write a story within this story. This author does this well. I enjoyed the mystery. I was swept away and immersed into a time period that showed two classes in society colliding. I enjoyed the sweet love story and the natural spiritual thread in the mix.

BOOK BLURB: When Aurelie Harcourt's father dies in debtor's prison, he leaves her just two things: his wealthy family, whom she has never met, and his famous pen name, Nathaniel Droll. Her new family greets her with apathy and even resentment. Only the quiet houseguest, Silas Rotherham, welcomes her company.

When Aurelie decides to complete her father's unfinished serial novel, writing the family into the story as unflattering characters, she must keep her identity as Nathaniel Droll hidden while searching for the truth about her mother's disappearance--and perhaps even her father's death.

Author Joanna Davidson Politano's stunning debut set in Victorian England will delight readers with its highly original plot, lush setting, vibrant characters, and reluctant romance.

Check out Book Cover: https://www.amazon.com/Jayne-Disappears-Joanna-Davidson-Politano-eb...

FEBRUARY BOOK CLUB PICK

The Love Letter
By Rachel Hauck

My Thoughts: I stood up and cheered at the end of this book. It’s a time slip story done well. My husband and I have worked in theater and movies. So this was just plain fun.

ABOUT BOOK: Romance has never been actress Chloe Daschle’s forte—in life or on screen. But everyone knows who to call for a convincing death scene . . . and it might be killing her career.

When Chloe is given a peek at the script for an epic love story, she decides to take her destiny into her own hands and request an audition for the lead female role, Esther Kingsley. The compelling tale, inspired by family lore and a one-page letter from the colonial ancestor of scriptwriter Jesse Gates, just might break her out of this career-crippling rut. Jesse would rather write about romance than live through it after his past relationship ended in disaster. But once on-set together, the chemistry between Jesse and his leading lady is hard to deny.

Centuries earlier, in the heart of the Revolutionary War, Hamilton Lightfoot and Esther Longfellow wrote their saga off the silver screen. Esther’s Loyalist father opposes any relationship with Hamilton, but Esther must face her beloved father’s disapproval and the dangers of war in order to convince Hamilton of their future together. Hamilton has loved Esther for years, and on the eve of battle pens the love letter she’s always wanted—something straight from the heart.

Set in stunning upcountry South Carolina, The Love Letter is a beautifully crafted story of the courage it takes to face down fear and chase after love, even in the darkest of times. And just maybe, all these generations later, love can come home in a way not even Hollywood could imagine.

Amazon Link to book

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Letter-bestselling-author-Wedding-ebook...

MARCH BOOK CLUB PICK

River to Redemption
By Ann Gabhart

My Thoughts: I enjoy Ann Gabhart books but this one was pretty amazing on how one man and the grace of God helped this community survive when almost everyone in the town either left or died. How do you go on? Ann spins a tale the only way she can. It’s heart-felt, sad but hopeful and she bases part of this story on true events that make this even more intriguing. Great ending.

BOOK BLURB: Orphaned in the cholera epidemic of 1833, Adria Starr was cared for by a slave named Louis, a man who stayed in Springfield, Kentucky, when anyone with means had fled. A man who passed up the opportunity to escape his bondage and instead tended to the sick and buried the dead. A man who, twelve years later, is being sold by his owners despite his heroic actions. Now nineteen, Adria has never forgotten what Louis did for her. She's determined to find a way to buy Louis's freedom. But in 1840s Kentucky, she'll face an uphill battle.

Based partly on a true story, Ann H. Gabhart's latest historical novel is a tour de force. The vividly rendered town of Springfield and its citizens immerse readers in a story of courage, betrayal, and honor that will stick with them long after they turn the last page.

Check out Book Cover: https://www.amazon.com/River-Redemption-Ann-H-Gabhart-ebook/dp/B079...

APRIL BOOK CLUB PICK

Caught by Surprise 
By Jen Turano 

My Thoughts: If you haven’t read a book by this author you must do so. Not only do I learn from her books about history, but Jen Turano is hilarious. I smiled from ear to ear all the way through this book. She just leaves you with a great feeling.

Book Blurb: Miss Temperance Flowerdew is on her way to work when a stranger suddenly grabs her off the street and sends her on a Chicago-bound train before she can figure out what happened.

When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish is called upon to rescue a missing woman, he follows the trail to Chicago only to discover that the woman is his good friend Temperance. Before they can discover who was behind the abduction, they're seen alone together by a New York society matron, putting their reputations at risk.

Gilbert is willing to propose marriage--except Temperance will have none of it. She's finally stepped out of the shadow of her relations and won't give up her independence. But when it becomes clear the misunderstanding in Chicago has escalated into a threat on her life and followed her to New York, accepting Gilbert's help in solving the mystery may lead to more than she ever could have dreamed.

Check out the Cover: https://www.amazon.com/Caught-Surprise-Apart-Crowd-Book-ebook/dp/B0...

MAY BOOK CLUB PICK

The Alliance
By Jolina Petersheim

My thoughts: This book talks about a real and present danger. What happens when an EMP strikes and wipes out all of technology and life as we know it. I had read a book like this called the Last Light by Terry Blackstock what looks at it from an American stand point. But this book looks at it from inside the Amish/Mennonite community. Their life isn’t affected that much but everyone knows that. How do they copy? What do they do? It’s fascinating.

Book Blurb: When Leora Ebersole sees the small plane crash in her Old Order Mennonite community, she has no idea it's a foreshadowing of things to come. Soon after the young pilot, Moses Hughes, regains consciousness, they realize his instruments were destroyed by the same power outage that killed the electricity at the community store, where Englischers are stranded with dead cell phones and cars that won't start.

Moses offers a sobering theory, but no one can know how drastically life is about to change. With the only self-sustaining food supply in the region, the Pacifist community is forced to forge an alliance with the handful of stranded Englischers in an effort to protect not only the food but their very lives.

In the weeks that follow, Leora, Moses, and the community will be tested as never before, requiring them to make decisions they never thought possible. Whom will they help and whom will they turn away? When the community receives news of a new threat, everyone must decide how far they're willing to go to protect their beliefs and way of life.

Amazon Link https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Jolina-Petersheim-ebook/dp/B0198V4L...

JUNE BOOK CLUB PICK

Can’t Help Falling
By Kara Isaac

My Thoughts: If you love Narnia by C.S. Lewis you will adore this book. Emelia and Peter quote lines from the book to each other and friends. They are obsessed with these books and the way these two meet in fun. I had never read anything by this author before this book. She lives in New Zealand and I really enjoyed this book.

Book Blurb: A funny, heartfelt romance about how an antique shop, a wardrobe, and a mysterious tea cup bring two C.S. Lewis fans together in a snowy and picturesque Oxford, England.

Emelia Mason has spent her career finding the dirt on the rich and famous. But deep down past this fearless tabloid-reporter façade, there's a nerdy Narnia-obsessed girl who still can't resist climbing into wardrobes to check for the magical land on the other side. When a story she writes produces tragic results, she flees to Oxford, England--home to C.S. Lewis--to try and make amends for the damage she has caused.

Peter Carlisle was on his way to become one of Great Britain's best rowers--until he injured his shoulder and lost his chance at glory. He's determined to fight his way back to the top even if it means risking permanent disability to do so. It's the only way he can find his way past failing the one person who never stopped believing in his Olympic dream.

When Peter and Emelia cross paths on her first night in Oxford, the attraction is instant and they find common ground in their shared love of Narnia. But can the lessons from a fantasyland be enough to hold them together when secrets of the real world threaten to tear them apart? Cobblestone streets, an aristocratic estate, and an antique shop with curious a wardrobe bring the world of Narnia to life in Kara Isaac's inspiring and romantic story about second chances.

Amazon Link:  https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Help-Falling-Kara-Isaac-ebook/dp/B01CO3... 

JULY BOOK CLUB PICK

A Melody for James (Free Kindle)
By. Hallee Bridgeman

My Thoughts: This story has action, adventure and mystery with a natural spiritual thread woven into a fun love story with a satisfying ending. There are a few books in this series. The author keeps this one free to hook you to read the others. Grin!

Book Blurb: Melody Mason has the hottest female voice in the country music scene. But the cheers of throngs of adoring fans mean little in the absence of the handsome stranger who rescued her years before. Widower James Montgomery has never forgotten her. He prays God can bring her back.

Incredible events finally bring them face to face again. Together at last, they realize the bond between them has miraculously risen to a crescendo, melodiously marrying them like strong symphonic chords. Uncannily, they learn they share more in common than they could have ever imagined. They know God reunited them for a purpose.

Sinister forces threaten to destroy their new found happiness. The couple must work in close concert, placing all their faith in God as they solve the deadly mystery that ties their lives inexplicably together.

Fire, loss, and bloodshed cannot shake their faith in God to see them through as they face a percussive climax that leaves hearts and lives forever changed.

Check out Book Cover: https://www.amazon.com/Melody-James-Romantic-Suspense-Song-ebook/dp...

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

Just ordered a copy of Lady Jayne Disappears.  Looking forward to reading it. 

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service