Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

DISCUSSION BEGINS

SEPTEMBER 22nd

**EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT YOU ALL HAVE TO SAY***

BACK COVER: Between the years of 1869 to 1939 more than 100,000 poor British children were sent across the ocean to Canada with the promise of a better life. Those who took them in to work as farm laborers or household servants were told they were orphans--but was that the truth?

After the tragic loss of their father, the McAlister family is living at the edge of the poorhouse in London in 1908, leaving their mother to scrape by for her three younger children, while oldest daughter, Laura, works on a large estate more than an hour away. When Edna McAlister falls gravely ill and is hospitalized, twins Katie and Garth and eight-year-old Grace are forced into an orphans' home before Laura is notified about her family's unfortunate turn of events in London. With hundreds of British children sent on ships to Canada, whether truly orphans or not, Laura knows she must act quickly. But finding her siblings and taking care of her family may cost her everything.

Andrew Fraser, a wealthy young British lawyer and heir to the estate where Laura is in service, discovers that this common practice of finding new homes for penniless children might not be all that it seems. Together Laura and Andrew form an unlikely partnership. Will they arrive in time? Will their friendship blossom into something more?

Inspired by true events, this moving novel follows Laura as she seeks to reunite her family and her siblings who, in their darkest hours, must cling to the words from Isaiah: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God"

ABOUT AUTHOR: Bestselling Inspirational Author Carrie Turansky writes historical and contemporary novels set in England and the US. She has won the ACFW Carol Award, the Holt Medallion, and the International Digital Award. Readers say her stories are: "Heartwarming and inspiring! I couldn't put it down!" . . . "Touching love story. It captured me from the first page! Rich characters, beautifully written" . . . "My new favorite author!" Visit her website and sign up for her email newsletter at Carrie Turansky.com. Follow Carrie on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.

QUESTIONS FOR THIS MONTHS DISCUSSION

I'm going to start out with some questions the author has in the back of the book.

1. Had you heard about British Home Children before you read No Ocean Too Wide? What is one thing you learned that made an impression on you about children emigration and British Home Children in particular?

2. People have compared the British Home Children to those children who were taken from New York City and sent west on the orphan trains. Are you familiar with the orphan trains, and what similarities do you see between these two groups? What differences?

3. Laura (the oldest sister) went to great lengths to search for her siblings, even using a false name. What do you think of her decision?What were the results of that choice?

4. Andrew Frasier had a privileged background, but he wanted to study law and make his life count. What are some of the qualities Andrew demonstrated in this story?

1. Had you heard about British Home Children before you read No Ocean Too Wide? What is one thing you learned that made an impression on you about children emigration and British Home Children in particular? 2. People have compared the British Home Children to those children who were taken from New York City and sent west on the orphan trains. Are you familiar with the orphan trains, and what similarities do you see between these two groups? What differences? 3. Laura (the oldest sister) went to great lengths to search for her siblings, even using a false name. What do you think of her decision?What were the results of that choice? 4. Andrew Frasier had a privileged background, but he wanted to study law and make his life count. What are some of the qualities Andrew demonstrated in this story?

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

Can't wait to talk about this book. I love historical fiction.

QUESTIONS FOR THIS MONTHS DISCUSSION

I'm going to start out with some questions the author has in the back of the book.

1. Had you heard about British Home Children before you read No Ocean Too Wide? What is one thing you learned that made an impression on you about children emigration and British Home Children in particular?

I had no clue to any of this. You don't read much about Canada either. I found it fascinating and sad about all that was happening with the British Home Children organization.

2. People have compared the British Home Children to those children who were taken from New York City and sent west on the orphan trains. Are you familiar with the orphan trains, and what similarities do you see between these two groups? What differences?

I googled the society and this is what came up.
"New York’s Children’s Aid Society in 1880 all had stories of deprivation and abuse to tell."

From what I read this sounds similar. But then again I'm not a history buff. Grin! I hope you all know more about this than I do.

3. Laura (the oldest sister) went to great lengths to search for her siblings, even using a false name. What do you think of her decision?What were the results of that choice?

I didn't expect the treatment Laura got when she arrived at the Orphanage. I couldn't believe that they wouldn't let her talk to her siblings. The woman wasn't understanding and/or maybe didn't believe Laura's situation. I felt for the mom who tried to carry on even though she was super sick. Then the bravery of the little sister to run for help for her mom, only to come home to find that the police were at their home with the brother that had stolen food. The policeman believed they had no food and took them to the Orphanage.

I was also surprised by the fact Laura had to come up with room and board, plus the cost of all the food her siblings ate. That's three little ones. IF they had money in the first place the kids wouldn't have gone to that place.

Laura had every intention to do the right thing but when she was refused an audience with her siblings she chose to go a different route. It's then she met Andrew the son of her former employer. She was hoping he'd go along with her Charade long enough for her to explain to him what she was going through.

4. Andrew Frasier had a privileged background, but he wanted to study law and make his life count. What are some of the qualities Andrew demonstrated in this story?

Andrew had a passion to do the right thing. It made him cringe when he heard that Laura was going by a different name. He chose to think the best of her and wait until they could talk to get to the bottom of things privately. He wanted to make sure all the children were treated fairly and had their needs met.

I like that he believed Laura about what happened with his partner at the office. Laura was lucky to get out of their unharmed. Andrew took that seriously. He was embarrassed by that man's behavior. I liked that even though he came from a life of privilege he cared, he wasn't a total snob.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Birthdays

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service