BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION

BOOK BLURB: When Leora Ebersole sees the small plane crash in her Old Order Mennonite community, she has no idea it's a foreshadowing of things to come. Soon after the young pilot, Moses Hughes, regains consciousness, they realize his instruments were destroyed by the same power outage that killed the electricity at the community store, where Englischers are stranded with dead cell phones and cars that won't start. Moses offers a sobering theory, but no one can know how drastically life is about to change. With the only self-sustaining food supply in the region, the Pacifist community is forced to forge an alliance with the handful of stranded Englischers in an effort to protect not only the food but their very lives. In the weeks that follow, Leora, Moses, and the community will be tested as never before, requiring them to make decisions they never thought possible. Whom will they help and whom will they turn away? When the community receives news of a new threat, everyone must decide how far they're willing to go to protect their beliefs and way of life.

I'm excited to hear what you all thought of this book and this situation. 

1. The crazy thing about the subject matter of this book is that this is a very real threat to us all. Have any of you heard of an EMP? If so, what do you think about it? 

2. Our book club read book one in a series that Teri Blackstock wrote called The Last Light (in the Restoration series) There are 4 books in that series where the author has you experience the extinction of technology. Everyone has to learn the basics; like growing your own food, cooking your own meals, getting creative to make fires, etc.

3. What character did you emphasis with the most? Why?

4. What were your feelings about how the Mennonite counsel dealt with the EMP crisis? Do you think they believed Moses or not? Many people don't know how to cook. I know I haven't had much luck growing things. Can't imagine the pressure of knowing this was the only way you could eat and/or feed your family. 

5. How likely do you think that something like an EMP event might really happen? How do you balance being prepared with being controlled by fear?

6. Have you read any other books like this before? If so, which ones? What did you think about them? This?

7. How do Leora's beliefs change throughout the story? Was this progression portrayed realistically? do you think Leora will ever come back around to her pacifist beliefs? why or why not? Have your own convictions changed from childhood to adulthood? What caused them to change?

8. How does Moses'f faith change throughout the book? How do you think he will continue to grow or change spiritually in the next book?

9. How do Leora's feelings toward her father shift over the course of the story?

10. Were you surprised by the identity of the person stealing food from the community? What did you think of the way Leora reacted? Where would you like to see this thread go in the next book?

11. Another book club discussion question from the book.

When Moses and Jabil go into town in search of a tractor, Moses vacillates on how the community views their plan. Though they do not plan to pillage or harm anyone, they are prepared to steal to better themselves and the community. If placed in the same position, would you be willing to break the law in order to save yourself or your family? Why or why not?

12. Leora admits, "I yearn to be with Moses, as if he is my North Star in this blackhole of madness, but my duty to my family forces me to remain lost." Could the two coexist, or must Leora Make a choice? Faced with a choice between love and a responsibility to your family, how would you decide?

13 Why does Leora think her grandmother might not be as anxious as everyone else despite the upheaval they're experiencing? How have you see this illustrated (or contradicted) in people you know? In general, why do you think we are so fearful for our lives and those of the people we love?

14. Which characters, if any, would you like to know more about? What would you like to see happen to them as the story concludes in the next book? 

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

PLEASE JUMP IN WHEN YOU CAN!!

NEXT MONTH'S BOOK IS CAN'T HELP FALLING by KARA ISAAC

Hilarious, fun Romantic Comedy of sorts!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service