MARCH BOOK CLUB

DISCUSSION 

BEGINS MARCH 21 - end of month

BOOK BLURB: Orphaned in the cholera epidemic of 1833, Adria Starr was cared for by a slave named Louis, a man who stayed in Springfield, Kentucky, when anyone with means had fled. A man who passed up the opportunity to escape his bondage and instead tended to the sick and buried the dead. A man who, twelve years later, is being sold by his owners despite his heroic actions.

Now nineteen, Adria has never forgotten what Louis did for her. She's determined to find a way to buy Louis's freedom. But in 1840s Kentucky, she'll face an uphill battle. Based partly on a true story, Ann H. Gabhart's latest historical novel is a tour de force. The vividly rendered town of Springfield and its citizens immerse readers in a story of courage, betrayal, and honor that will stick with them long after they turn the last page.

About Ann H. Gabhart

Ann H. Gabhart caught the writing bug at the age of ten and has been writing ever since. An award winning author, she's published many books for both adults and young adults. Her books cover several genres from historical to small town family stories to cozy mysteries under the name A.H. Gabhart. Her ideas are sparked by events in Kentucky history and by experiences in her own family. Her first Shaker novel, The Outsider, was a finalist for the ECPA Christian Fiction Book of the Year. Love Comes Home won the Selah Book of the Year award, and These Healing Hills was the Faith, Hope & Love Readers' Choice Women's Fiction Book of the Year. 

Ann lives on a Kentucky farm not far from where she was born. She and her husband have three children and nine grandchildren. Ann enjoys hiking on her farm with her grandkids and her dog, Frankie. See more about her books at www.annhgabhart.com 
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
I WILL POST SOME EVERY DAY until the END of the MONTH
1. What character in this book would you like most as a friend, and why? 
2. What challenge did the main character face? How did they over come or deal with the challenge?
3. What words would you use to describe the main character in this book? Why?
4. What do you admire most about the characters in this book? Why?
5. Where there any characters in this book that you didn't like? why?
6. What lesson, if any, did you learn from reading this book? How has that lesson affected your life?
7. If you could ask the author one question about this book, what would it be?
8. What specific themes did the author emphasize through out the novel? What do you think while getting to know the characters? Did they emphasize something?
9. What was your FAVORITE Scene? Why did you love it?
10. What was unique about the setting of this story? How did it enhance or take away from the story?
11.The story took place during the cholera epidemic of the 1800's when an entire towns population ran for the hills, very few were left to deal with the after math of the disease.
Which leads into one of Ann's discussion questions states, "With our advanced medicines and health knowledge, do you think it's hard for us to completely understand the fear people might have felt when they heard cholera had broken out in their area?
12. Another discussion question from the author, "Adria had a close relationship with Aunt Matilda. What did you like best about Matilda? How would you describe her relationship with Adria?"
13. A discussion question from the author, "Were you disappointed that Adria made the choices she made at the end of the book or do you feel she did the best thing for her future?"
14. What was the feeling you got when you read the last page and closed the book? Why were you feeling that way?
15. Did you like how the story ended? If not, how would you have changed the ending? Why, make the change?

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks everybody for the discussion. It was fun. Happy reading with your next book.

I'm thrilled at the opportunity. We haven't met for a long time. But I feel we've gotten to know each other as we read and discuss these books.

YOU ARE ALL A BLESSING!!

Yes, Ann I'm very thankful for your input and that you have taken time to join us here.

THANK YOU! Grin!

I would not change the ending. I had a big sigh of satisfaction on how the story ended, that is why I am so gung-ho on having a sequel. It was right for Adria to go to North to Boston, she could never settle in her hometown, she could never marry Carlton and be who he wanted her to be. Adria was ahead of her time. It was so sweet that Louis got his own shop, too.

THANKS EVERYONE for a lively discussion. THANK YOU ANN GABHART for stopping by and sharing. You are the FIRST Author to be part of this book club.  We Appreciate your insight very much.

This was one of my favorite books you've written Ann!

If anyone later down the road wants to join in the discussion please do. You don't have to feel rushed! I'd love to hear from you no matter when you finish the book.

I'm EXCITED to remind you that we will be reading CAUGHT BY SURPRISE by Jen Turano this month. Discussion will start on April 21st.

THANKS Again for all your in put. Looking forward to next month.

SEE YOU THEN!

I’ve very late getting to write that I very much so enjoyed this book. 
1. What character in this book would you like most as a friend, and why? 
Louis reminds me of my Dad I think because of his faithfulness
3. What words would you use to describe the main character in this book? Why?
Loyal, bold, unique, 
9. What was your FAVORITE Scene? Why did you love it?
When Louis brought Adria to ask if Ruth would be her guardian Why?because my oldest came to me through foster care and there was someone who brought him to me to ask if I could care for him. 
12. Another discussion question from the author, "Adria had a close relationship with Aunt Matilda. What did you like best about Matilda? How would you describe her relationship with Adria?"
I loved Aunt Matilda I think it was because of the motherly love she showed to Adria.  Aunt Matilda also shared her knowledge of cooking/baking and godly wisdom with Adria which I liked because it stayed with her even after Aunt Matilda passed on to glory. 
14. What was the feeling you got when you read the last page and closed the book? Why were you feeling that way?
I was imagining where Ruth was going and if she’d settle down with a husband and if she continue on helping slaves.  What type of mother should be to her children   

Fun to read your thoughts about my book, River to Redemption, Becky.  I appreciate your thoughtful answers to Nora's questions. I especially loved what you said about the favorite scene. What a blessing you must be to that child as Ruth was a blessing to Adria. I liked writing about Matilda too. She came to life nicely for me in the story.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service