DISCUSSION BEGINS

JULY 21st

BACK COVER: Solitary strangers meet during a stormy stopover. Hours later, their hearts hum a harmonious duet. Melody Mason has the hottest female voice in the country music scene. But the cheers of throngs of adoring fans mean little in the absence of the handsome stranger who rescued her years before. Widower James Montgomery has never forgotten her. He prays God can bring her back. Incredible events finally bring them face to face again. Together at last, they realize the bond between them has miraculously risen to a crescendo, melodiously marrying them like strong symphonic chords. Uncannily, they learn they share more in common than they could have ever imagined. They know God reunited them for a purpose. Sinister forces threaten to destroy their new found happiness. The couple must work in close concert, placing all their faith in God as they solve the deadly mystery that ties their lives inexplicably together. Fire, loss, and bloodshed cannot shake their faith in God to see them through as they face a percussive climax that leaves hearts and lives forever changed.

ABOUT AUTHOR: Hallee Bridgeman. With more than half a million book sales, Hallee Bridgeman is a best-selling Christian author who writes action-packed romantic suspense focusing on realistic characters who face real world problems. Her work has been described as everything from refreshing to heart-stopping exciting and edgy.

An Army brat turned Floridian, Hallee finally settled in central Kentucky with her family so that she could enjoy the beautiful changing of the seasons. She enjoys the roller-coaster ride thrills that life with a National Guard husband, a college student daughter, and two elementary aged sons delivers.

A prolific writer, when she's not penning novels, you will find her in the kitchen, which she considers the 'heart of the home'. Her passion for cooking spurred her to launch a whole food, real food "Parody" cookbook series. In addition to nutritious, Biblically grounded recipes, readers will find that each cookbook also confronts some controversial aspect of secular pop culture.

Hallee is a member of the Published Author Network (PAN) of the Romance Writers of America (RWA) where she serves as a long time member in the Faith, Hope, & Love chapter. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and the American Christian Writers (ACW) as well as being a member of Novelists, Inc. (NINC). An accomplished speaker, Hallee has taught and inspired writers around the globe, from Sydney, Australia, to Dallas, Texas, to Portland, Oregon, to Washington, D.C., and all places in between.

Hallee loves coffee, campy action movies, and regular date nights with her husband. Above all else, she loves God with all of her heart, soul, mind, and strength; has been redeemed by the blood of Christ; and relies on the presence of the Holy Spirit to guide her. She prays her work here on earth is a blessing to you and would love to hear from you. You can reach Hallee at hallee@halleebridgeman.com 

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Did you find this book unique, original? If so, How? If not, what made it predictable?

2. Which character did you relate to the most? What was it about them that you connected with?

3. Which character did you not like? Why? Which one could NOT relate to? Why?

4. Which character would you most like to meet? Why?

5. What words would you use to describe the main character in this book? Why?

6. What do you admire most about the characters in this book? Why?

7. What challenge did the main character face? How did they handle it? Was it believable?

8. Which character changed the most in the coarse of this story? Why?

9.What was unique about the setting of this story? How did it enhance or take away from the story?

10. Did you like how the story ended? If not, how would you have changed the ending? Why, make the change?

11. What specific themes did the author emphasize through the novel? What do you think they were trying to get across?

12. If you could trade places with one of the characters in this story for a day, which one would it be and why?

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Everyone;  I'm sorry for adding this late. I've started a new job at a library that has been training me so my extra hours at home has been eaten up with training. I love it as I'm around books all the time. I'll be back on track for next month when we read 

All Matter of Things

By Susie Finkbeiner

BACK COVER: When Annie Jacobson's brother Mike enlists as a medic in the Army in 1967, he hands her a piece of paper with the address of their long-estranged father. If anything should happen to him in Vietnam, Mike says, Annie must let their father know. 

In Mike's absence, their father returns to face tragedy at home, adding an extra measure of complication to an already tense time. As they work toward healing and pray fervently for Mike's safety overseas, letter by letter the Jacobsons must find a way to pull together as a family, regardless of past hurts. In the tumult of this time, Annie and her family grapple with the tension of holding both hope and grief in the same hand, even as they learn to turn to the One who binds the wounds of the brokenhearted.

Author Susie Finkbeiner invites you into the Jacobson family's home and hearts during a time in which the chaos of the outside world touched their small community in ways they never imagined. 

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/All-Manner-Things-Susie-Finkbeiner-ebook/dp/...

FOR A LIST OF THE BOOKS WE ARE READING NEXT CLICK ON LINK BELOW!

https://www.bookfun.org/group/book-fun-on-line-book-club/forum/topi...

I also run a face to face book club and Hallee Bridgeman spoke at our meeting on the 15th. She is an inspiration and gave me an insight into this story. I will share with you later on today. I hope she stops by and talks to us too! She is traveling and will do her best to talk to us as her schedule allows.

1. was not predictable at all for me. Found it rather unique as the professions of those involved. Don't normally read about them so was a learning experience for me.  Lots of mysteries and second chances.

I found it unique too Julie. I enjoyed the mystery and the second chance aspect. Halle Bridgeman came to speak to our book club last week. She gave her testimony about writing this novel. Come to find out this was the first one she ever wrote. She wrote it and put it away for a long time. She said it was something she had to do but that's as far as she wanted to take it.

Then she became a christian and her world changed. She felt that she had to re-write the story to reflect her faith. The original characters were living together. In the new version she had them marry. Her values changed and so did her characters. It was very interesting to hear of her transformation. I hope she has time to stop by later in the month. Thanks for sharing Julie! LOVE hearing from you!

This book was very different. I loved the fact that it was based in Atlanta. But, I could not connect with any of the characters because they were so different from me. I am not musically gifted like Melody or tech savvy like James. Even the one I could kind of relate to, Morgan because she liked to cook, was beyond me because of her decorating skills. I liked how the author linked the two characters in the airport and then with the threats on their lives. It was totally believable how Melody handled things because she fell apart, I would do the same if someone was stalking me and after me. 

As for the end of the story, I guessed part-way through that David Patterson was the culprit but it was still interesting how it was all revealed.

One thing that I did not like is that the author got a little too preachy for a bit but then backed off. I liked how Melody rediscovered her faith.

Hi, Sharen;

Great to hear from you as always. It was fun about the setting being in Atlanta. The author talked about the car chase in the book and looked at everyone in book club and said, "It wouldn't be realistic in Atlanta would it?" (Mind you it was about 10 years from the original time she wrote the book to when she re-wrote it and published it. I think that was the time frame.) Either way the traffic situation in Atlanta has gotten worse for sure! Grin!

A cool thing we learned at book club was the face Hallee says she can't sing and didn't know anything about the music business. Also the main male character is Autistic. She has a son that is autistic. She didn't realize that she had done that until it was all finished. Did you all pick that up??? Just wondering! I didn't! Grin! 

I related a bit to "A Melody for James" since I have lived in both Atlanta and Nashville, and, like the author, have lived in Florida (born and bred, actually). Plus, my background as a church musician and as a mathematician professionally connected me to both Melody and James. Also, our extended family has adopted children, so I understand a little of the early challenges of James and Kurt. Interesting also that a Soviet spy was involved in trying to steal secrets. And a reminder that people are not always what they seem to be. Lots of food for thought here!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service