CLICK ON THIS LINK to JOIN TBCN On-LINE BOOK CLUB

Discussion starts

JANUARY 21st

1. What did you think about this story? Did it surprise you? If so, in what way.

2. What was unique about the setting of the book? How did it enhance or take away from the story?

3. Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?

4. Share a passage from the book that you liked, thought was cleaver, didn't see that one coming, or just had to share.

5. Why was Silas surprised when he went to pick up Woolf's things? What didn't the family know? What have you had to do for someone that turned out differently than you expected? Was it a good or bad surprise? Do tell!

6. What story was Woolf writing when he died? Was it fiction, non-fiction or creative nonfiction? How did Aura Rose continue the story? Was it fair of her to pattern characters from those around her? If you were to write a story, what would you write? How would you keep from stealing the actions of someone's life or ask for permission to use them?

7. What was true about the person who inspired the title of Lady Jayne? What was not true about her? What did Aura Rose learn about her mother's love for her? Did Jayne's selfishness bring her happiness? What are some things that might cause her life to crumble? Would you want to live with all these threats of exposure? 

Nora :0)

TBCN Where Book Fun Begins

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

I am still reading  "Lady Jayne Disappears" but am intrigued with the idea of a story within a story!

Hi, Zanese; Keep reading. We'll be discussing this book until January 31st. Love to hear what you have to say! Grin!

Loved it! Has been the best fiction I've read in forever! I Was into all the twists and turns in the story! 

I was surprised by who the murderer was and how Lady Jaynes past turned out to actually be vs the way Aurelie thought it to be. 

Theres a quote on the last page that says " you would cease to be Aurelie Harcourt if you did not write." got me thinking personally which usually doesn't happen for me in a fiction. 

It's a brilliant read. This author is has an amazing imagination. She has written another book titled A Rumored Fortune. It came out July 31st of 2018. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rumored-Fortune-Joanna-Davidson-Politano-ebo... 

She has another book releasing August of this year. It's titled Finding Lady Enderly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0800728726/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl...;

The story line in the 2nd book did not seem as rich to me but I still liked the book and can't wait for the 3rd book. Thanks Nora for telling us about it.

2. What was unique about the setting of the book? How did it enhance or take away from the story?

I found it unique as to walking readers around the debtors prison. That was eye opening. Also was interesting about the writing aspect of the story. How they printed the book in a weekly magazine/newspaper. I'll write more on this tomorrow. I'm heading to the library to work. My day off is tomorrow. I'll have another question and more to talk about then. LOVE to hear from you all!

I also was drawn to the tour of the debtors prison, and how it never really dawned on those in charge that if they put the whole family in prison the debt would never be paid off.  

Printing the story in a weekly magazine was not new to me being an avid reader of English authors as this is something that was done during that time period.

I loved this book and also read the one that came out in July. The author does great in developing the storyline and I loved the story within a story concept. I love the fact that Aurelie is such a dreamer and feel her confusion and disappointment that both her mom and dad were not who she imagined them to be. I was surprised that the killer turned out to be her brother (half-brother).  I loved Aunt Eudora. She has a lot of spunk for an invalid who has suffered so many disappointments. I liked what she told Aurelie close to the end, "What will be fixed must first be broken".  This was on page 376. It shows that she was not innocent about her dysfunctional family.

Touché Sharen,  you hit on all the points I that stayed with me as the story ended.  I would love to read the Aunt’s story as I feel that Joanna just gave us a glimpse.  Every scene she was in I wanted more.

The setting did not distract from the story. The setting of a country manor was perfect for the story, actually, because it added a hint of gothic to the mystery.

I agree with you Sharen. I felt it made for a rich story and added to the mystery.

Next Question : Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?

Well I've already mentioned debtors prison. I didn't realize the whole family would stay there. That was an eye opener. the conditions weren't great. I could not believe how the warden prided himself on how he cut corners to get things cheaper for the people that lived there.

The book opens up with Aurelie Harcourt going to the publisher. She was all by herself and was navigating in uncharted territory with the publisher. The publisher was a bully and I saw how courageous Aurelie was in holding her own. She had come a long way by herself.  I felt uncomfortable for her and proud of her all at the same time. She was a brave girl that didn't really have the support of anyone. She didn't grow up in a fun, loving and caring environment. She also had parents that "lived" for "Today" with not real cares for tomorrow.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service