LOVE To Hear from you!

PLEASE Introduce yourself and tell us what you like to read.

I will pick the first book. I will also have a voting page up for the next four months. This will allow everyone to read the book if you check it out of the library. 

It will also allow us time to get with the author and their schedule for a FB "live" event to discuss their book.

Let me know if you have any questions!

nora@bookfunmagazine.com

I'm excited to get to know you!

This is the link to the face-to-face book club I ran in the book store I worked at. https://www.bookfun.org/group/findinghopebookclub

Hit VIEW ALL and you can see pictures from those meetings.

FYI - Authors Please Do not Talk about your books here.

There are other places to do that. This is a place to get to know the READERS in this group. THANK YOU!

Views: 359

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, everyone!

I love to read just about anything.  i especially love mystery and suspense, historical fiction (and especially when authors add bits about their research and the real events and people that inspired the story) and biblical fiction (with caution because I am afraid it will influence my perception of the real history and doctrine of the Bible).  I don't really care for scifi, but am enjoying dystopian/fantasy more and more.  

I look forward to participating as much as I can in this group.  

Thanks for sharing what genre's you like Carrie. I have not heard of Michelle Levign. I'll look her up. I'm excited about hearing from everyone too. Michelle Griep's Brentwood's Ward is suspenseful, historical, mysterious and fun! Looking forward to hearing from everyone starting on August 21st.

HI, Everyone;

EXCITING NEWS!!

The Voting Poll is closed and the results are in!

These are the next books we will be reading. I'll assign a month to them this week.

Number One Pick

A Mysterious painting breathes hope and beauty into the darkest corners of Auschwitz--and the loneliest hearts of Manhattan.
Manhattan art dealer Sera James watched her world crumble at the altar two years ago, and her heart is still fragile. Her desire for distraction reignites a passion for a mysterious portrait she first saw as a young girl--a painting of a young violinist with piercing blue eyes.
In her search for the painting, Sera crosses paths with William Hanover--the grandson of a wealthy California real estate mogul--who may be the key to uncovering the hidden masterpiece. Together Sera and William slowly unravel the story behind the painting's subject: Austrian violinist Adele Von Bron.

A darling of the Austrian aristocracy of 1942, talented violinist, and daughter to a high-ranking member of the Third Reich, Adele risks everything when she begins smuggling Jews out of Vienna. In a heartbeat, her life of prosperity and privilege dissolves into a world of starvation and barbed wire. As Sera untangles the secrets behind the painting, she finds beauty in the most unlikely of places: the grim camps of Auschwitz and the inner recesses of her own troubled heart.

SECOND TOP PICK

The women who spent their childhood summers in a small southern town discover it harbors secrets as lush as the marshes that surround it...

Bonny Blankenship’s most treasured memories are of idyllic summers spent in Watersend, South Carolina, with her best friend, Lainey McKay. Amid the sand dunes and oak trees draped with Spanish moss, they swam and wished for happy-ever-afters, then escaped to the local bookshop to read and whisper in the glorious cool silence. Until the night that changed everything, the night that Lainey’s mother disappeared.

Now, in her early fifties, Bonny is desperate to clear her head after a tragic mistake threatens her career as an emergency room doctor, and her marriage crumbles around her. With her troubled teenage daughter, Piper, in tow, she goes back to the beloved river house, where she is soon joined by Lainey and her two young children. During lazy summer days and magical nights, they reunite with bookshop owner Mimi, who is tangled with the past and its mysteries. As the three women cling to a fragile peace, buried secrets and long ago loves return like the tide.

THIRD PLACE

“I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb. . . . As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all. Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever. Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises and of finding connection in the most surprising ways.

Hi everyone. I’m honored to be part of the group. I’m an avid reader of over 500 books a year. I have a blog and do reviews. I read Christian genre like fiction, romance, historical, suspense, non fiction and also like Christisn fantasy books. Each book helps me go to a different era, place or encourage me with the writing of talented authors. Looking forward to knowing each of you. 

Hootsy-bootsy Deana, Now, for "Littluns" hootsy-bootsy can mean several things, including, hello; how are you;
good day; have a good day, or in response to some surprising news. Expression is everything
when saying, “hootsy-bootsy.”

Here's a Christian fantasy that takes you into reality and truth; an allegorical journey I think you would love to experience.  

BLOG: http://www.littlunsblog.com SEE TABS at top of page. This has the most information including buying options, awards, reviews, and articles.

WEBSITE: http://www.littluns.net See sample chapter, video, and merchandising, and for purchasing the book.

Also on the website:

1. Click on the MAP TAB.

2. Click on any one of the RED stars and it will take you into the map to characters and locations.

3. Return to MAP and repeat steps two and three to see this one-of-a-kind novel that takes readers from fantasy to reality and truth.

IMAGINE FOR YOU, a novel that's a VERY different kind of movie; an experience like nothing you've ever read; an allegorical journey and adventure from a fantasy that takes you into reality and truth, from darkness into the light, and a place where the meaning of life becomes the essence of our being.

For YOUNG ADULT and grown-up readers of all ages WHO LOVE allegorical ANIMATION-LIKE STORYTELLING, finally a novel has come that is more than just a novel - it's a present-tense journey, adventure, and personal experience like that of watching a movie, with the reader imagining the author's vision between his 63 COLOR illustrations, IN A 411 PAGE EPIC RUSH. For all seasons and all reasons, Littluns is a most different reading experience for you.

Best always,

Mark

Been extremely - and unexpectedly - busy this summer with extensive travel to Russia and Rome on a special pilgrimage mission with the Urbi et Orbi Foundation (good one to Google!). So this is my first contact with this new group, and I'm sorry I've not been able to respond sooner. Just got back home after many weeks away a couple days ago.

I will attempt to follow the group's activities, and although the voting is closed for the next three months, I do wish to offer a real classic for the next selection opportunity, one suggested by my daughter (a federal attorney in Boston) when she realized I was in Moscow staying at the Metropol. Entitled "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles, this is truly engaging and thoughtful reading. Maybe sometime for 2019? Another title, "Lord of the World" by Robert Benson comes in as a close second.

Anyway, nice to be in the group. Not sure just how active I'll be able to manage with new time demands at the beginning of the school year where I teach pregnant girls and new mothers high school subjects in a "safe" environment, but I'll do my best. Best Wishes to Everyone! Nick M.

Great to hear from you Nick! You have been busy!

I've posted this for Marlene who has recently joined the On-Line Book Club! Our FIRST Meeting Starts August 21st.

Hi! Excited to join the on-line Book Club. I like most all genres of books including mystery, romance, Christian fiction, both historical fiction & non-fiction. Welcome Marlene!

Hi, I am Michelle from Georgia. I enjoy reading most genres and keep a running tbr pile. Hoping hubby will let me but this book so I can read with the group.

Here is the Line up for when we read these books. I'm So Excited to share with you that The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society was made into a movie and has just arrived on Netflix. I saw the movie last night and was thrilled they kept close to the book. I really enjoyed the movie.

That being said The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society will be our SEPTEMBER Book to discuss starting Sept. 21st. So, we will also be discussing the movie (for those who watch it) and how it differs from the book. 

The Butterfly and the Violin by Kristy Cameron will be for October's read. Sticking to the theme of WWII.

The Book Shop at Water's Edge by Patti Callahan Henry will be our November's book club pick.

If you have any questions please contact me. nora@bookfunmagazine.com

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service