BOOK BLURB: 

Back Cover: Romance has never been actress Chloe Daschle’s forte—in life or on screen. But everyone knows who to call for a convincing death scene . . . and it might be killing her career.

When Chloe is given a peek at the script for an epic love story, she decides to take her destiny into her own hands and request an audition for the lead female role, Esther Kingsley. The compelling tale, inspired by family lore and a one-page letter from the colonial ancestor of scriptwriter Jesse Gates, just might break her out of this career-crippling rut. Jesse would rather write about romance than live through it after his past relationship ended in disaster. But once on-set together, the chemistry between Jesse and his leading lady is hard to deny.

Centuries earlier, in the heart of the Revolutionary War, Hamilton Lightfoot and Esther Longfellow wrote their saga off the silver screen. Esther’s Loyalist father opposes any relationship with Hamilton, but Esther must face her beloved father’s disapproval and the dangers of war in order to convince Hamilton of their future together. Hamilton has loved Esther for years, and on the eve of battle pens the love letter she’s always wanted—something straight from the heart.  

Set in stunning upcountry South Carolina, The Love Letter is a beautifully crafted story of the courage it takes to face down fear and chase after love, even in the darkest of times. And just maybe, all these generations later, love can come home in a way not even Hollywood could imagine.

ABOUT AUTHOR: Rachel Hauck is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal Bestselling author.

She is a Christy Award Winner and a double RITA finalist. Her book The Wedding Dress was named Inspirational Novel of the Year by Romantic Times Book Club. She is also the recipient of RT's Career Achievement Award.

A graduate of Ohio State University with a degree in Journalism, and a former sorority girl, Rachel and her husband live in central Florida. She is a huge Buckeyes football fan.

Visit her at www.rachelhauck.com or www.facebook.com/rachelhauck

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS NOVEL

1. Was this book what you expected? If not, what surprised you?

2. What was unique about the setting of the book? How did it enhance or take away from the story?

3. Was there a character in the story you could root for? Rejoice in their victories and/or feel their struggle?

4. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of your self or someone you know?

5. Favorite Scenes? Do Tell!

6. Here's a question from the back of the book, "The book asks the question, "What happens to unrequited love?" Even though I asked the question as the author, I'm not sure love is its own entity, drifting through time, looking for a place to rest. Yes I was fascinated by the idea of two people falling in love yet finding themselves separated by war, life, social status, or circumstance beyond their control. What do you think of "unrequited love"?

7. Jesse tried for a long time to make it in Hollywood. When he finally did, he gives it all up on principle. What would you have done? What would you give to stand by a friend?

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

7. Jesse tried for a long time to make it in Hollywood. When he finally did, he gives it all up on principle. What would you have done? What would you give to stand by a friend?

Jesse and Chole were characters I cheered for. I was pleasantly surprised that Jesse did what he did and eventually what Chole stood up for. In the end you have to live with yourself. If getting a part meant it would beat you up hourly, daily it wouldn't be worth taking the part.  I was new to theater and had gotten a small part in a musical. The Dr. of the theater had come up to me and asked if I would audition for his play. He had a part for me. When I asked what it was he told me it's the part of a hooker. Oh, that was a no brainier. Didn't want to get in the head or anything else of that character. It went against everything I am - I guess thats' what they call "Acting" I just knew to the core of my being I couldn't participate in doing anything like that. I know the Jesse feld the same thing but for different reasons.

I think that if you are called to champion a friend God gives you the courage; wisdom and strength to do far more than we thought possible.

Totally agree with you Nora. 

I agree with you totally Nora.  No way could I ever play a prostitute either as it goes against everything I was taught from day one.  Guess the acting profession is not for me.

Thanks for suggesting this book! I was drawn to  "The Love Letter" since my DAR ancestors were from South Carolina. We don't often think how difficult communication was in those days, and how important delivered notes and letters were. 

Interesting that the back-and-forth dialogue with Jesse and Chloe relating their story was repeated with Hamilton and Esther having a similar exchange.
It took me a bit to realize that Esther had a different last name in the movie from real life because the letter and information available to Jesse showed just her first name.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service