BOOK DISCUSSION STARTS JUNE 21st

BACK COVER: A funny, heartfelt romance about how an antique shop, a wardrobe, and a mysterious tea cup bring two C.S. Lewis fans together in a snowy and picturesque Oxford, England. Emelia Mason has spent her career finding the dirt on the rich and famous. But deep down past this fearless tabloid-reporter façade, there's a nerdy Narnia-obsessed girl who still can't resist climbing into wardrobes to check for the magical land on the other side. When a story she writes produces tragic results, she flees to Oxford, England--home to C.S. Lewis--to try and make amends for the damage she has caused. Peter Carlisle was on his way to become one of Great Britain's best rowers--until he injured his shoulder and lost his chance at glory. He's determined to fight his way back to the top even if it means risking permanent disability to do so. It's the only way he can find his way past failing the one person who never stopped believing in his Olympic dream. When Peter and Emelia cross paths on her first night in Oxford, the attraction is instant and they find common ground in their shared love of Narnia. But can the lessons from a fantasyland be enough to hold them together when secrets of the real world threaten to tear them apart? Cobblestone streets, an aristocratic estate, and an antique shop with curious a wardrobe bring the world of Narnia to life in Kara Isaac's inspiring and romantic story about second chances.

I LOVED this book and ADDED a NEW FAVORITE author to my list.

What about you??? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1. Did you find this book unique, original? If so, How? If not, what made it predictable for you?

2.What did you think about the story? Was it funny, sad, touching, disturbing, moving, inspirational?

3. What made the setting unique or important? How did it enhance or take away from the story? the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere?

4. What was your first reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into it? If you weren't hooked at first what was the turning point for you?

5. How did the characters change throughout the story? What events triggered the changes? How did your opinion of them change?

6. Which character did you relate to the most? What was it about them that you connected with?

7. Which character did you not like? Why? Which one could you not relate to? Why?

8. Have you read any books that were similar to this book? If, so; which one?

9. Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not?

10. How did you feel about the ending of the book? What did you like? What did you not like? What do you wish could have been different? Why?

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

6. Which character did you relate to the most? What was it about them that you connected with?

I could relate to Peter mostly and some what with Emelia in the choices they both made. They are both over achievers and have been heavily influenced by their upbringing. These two are brought together through their search in figuring out how to do the right thing and redemption for past mistakes. They meet along the way, neither looking for romance but couldn't deny their feelings for one another and they love of all things Narnia.

I loved how this book was not preachy even when talking about their faith. I loved how Emelia wanted to stay real with Peter and not just tell him she believed the way he did because of her feelings for him.

Peter had to do some soul searching because of how his mother married a non-believer and she wished things were different. I enjoyed how the author dealt with this subject matter and Peter's brother Victor and his issues. 

7. Which character did you not like? Why? Which one could you not relate to? Why?

Peter's brother Victor was not my favorite.  He's a character you didn't feel sorry for. He was hateful, self-absorbed and let his brother clean up after his messes. He was spoiled and not one held him accountable for his actions.

8. Have you read any books that were similar to this book? If, so; which one?

I read book one in this series titled Close to You. To be honest I had a hard time getting through. Couldn't get past the first chapter. I did not like Allie in book one. It's when I decided to read book two FIRST! Grin! I LOVED it from the start. But then again I LOVE Narnia. I also saw another side of Allie that I adored. In book one she was a wounded bitter women. The theme of that book was Lord of the Rings. I realize I'm not a Fan of those books and only saw a few of the movies. So, for me book two was more relate-able.  So after I finished book two I ENJOYED book Two so much better. It was so much fun!

9. Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not?

Yes, I have read another book by this author and enjoyed it very much. The title was One Thing I know.

10. How did you feel about the ending of the book? What did you like? What did you not like? What do you wish could have been different? Why?

I loved the ending of the book. I loved that Peter and Emelia had some soul searching to do and got real with what they believed in the soul of their beings. This did not come off as preachy but authentic. I also liked that on page 295 Emelia shares the story of her mom being sick and her love of Narnia. I was surprised by her story. Made me like her more. I also enjoyed Peter's sharing about his grandfather reading the Narnia stories to him and how is love the story and why he stopped reading at a certain point. Emelia says to Peter on page 298. "You are the only person I've ever met who knows Narnia like I do. That's why none of this makes sense. Why I can't reconcile you asking me if I was a Susan or a Lucy when we first met. It didn't make sense. Except now it does. Something happened and you don't know how it all ended."

Peter replies, "Yes, my grandfather died."

Page 361 Emelia continues this theme, "A true Narnia fan would never ask a girl if they were a Susan or a Lucy."..."I'm a Susan. And he hadn't understood what she was saying. How she viewed herself. Until now. Emelia saw herself through a distorted looking glass, condemning herself for how she thought she was.

Peter picked up the book again. Flicking back through it's pages to the crucial scene, he read the critical line again. "My sister Susan," answered Peter gravely,"is no longer a friend of Narnia."

Susan had grown up and called Narnia just a silly game from their childhood. Ultimately, the rest of her family had been summoned back to Narnia and she'd ended up alone.

"A six year old Emelia had told her mother, she didn't want to play her silly Narnia games anymore and her mother had died. Emelia's father had abdicated responsibility and she'd ended up alone. That's why she believed she was a Susan. 

..."There were now only two things on his to-do list. Win Emelia back. And row his way to Tokyo in 2020. One was hopeful. One was nonnegotiable. 

He picked up the phone and dialed..."Allie, it's Peter. I need your help."

Can't Help Falling was a magical, meaningful story that spoke of forgiveness and the preciousness of each person to God. A deeply moving, yet whimsical treat, it was well worth the read. I'll be eagerly looking forward Kara Isaac's next great story!

I ADORED the ENDING of this book. I think she ended it on a very satisfying ending. The last sentence reads, "For the first time in her life, she allowed herself to begin to believe that maybe she was a Lucy after all." 

Warm feelings in my heart and a huge smile on my face.

LOVED to hear what you all think! If you haven't gotten back to me about your book selections for the next 6 books PLEASE Do so by the last day of the month. If you didn't get a voting sheet let me know and I'll email you one. contact me at nora@bookfunmagazine.com 

THANKS!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service