JOIN IN THE FUN

DISCUSSION

BOOK BLURB: Miss Temperance Flowerdew is on her way to work when a stranger suddenly grabs her off the street and sends her on a Chicago-bound train before she can figure out what happened. When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish is called upon to rescue a missing woman, he follows the trail to Chicago only to discover that the woman is his good friend Temperance. Before they can discover who was behind the abduction, they're seen alone together by a New York society matron, putting their reputations at risk. Gilbert is willing to propose marriage--except Temperance will have none of it. She's finally stepped out of the shadow of her relations and won't give up her independence. But when it becomes clear the misunderstanding in Chicago has escalated into a threat on her life and followed her to New York, accepting Gilbert's help in solving the mystery may lead to more than she ever could have dreamed.

FIRST QUESTION (I'll be posting one every day until April 30th)

1. I'd like to know what some of your favorite lines were in this book Along with your favorite characters?

2. What was your initial reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into? What was the turning point? First impression.

3. IF you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?

4. What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think they were trying to get across?

5. How do the characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

6. Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why?

7. Which character did you relate to the most, and what was it about them that you connected with?

8. What do you think about the book's cover? How well does it convey what the book is about? 

9. What character in this book would you like most as a friend, why?

10. If you could trade places with one of the characters in this story for a day, which one would it be, why?

11. What lesson, if any, did you learn from reading this book? How has that lesson affected your life?

12. What was the feeling you got when you read the last page and closed the book? Why were you feeling that way?

Views: 106

Replies to This Discussion

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE - I have a Few Questions for you Today

What was your initial reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into? What was the turning point? First impression.

I've mentioned above the excerpts from the book that drew me in and made me laugh. I really liked Eugene and Mercy. My first impression was fun. The author gave us a peek into the social structure of that time which Gilbert was very worried about. Temperance wasn't that concerned. The whole book was a delight. I didn't feel lost because I didn't read book one and two in this series.

IF you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?

What I'd like to ask the author was how she decided in the characters names. Temperance Flowerdew, Gilbert Cavendish, Clementine Flowerdew.... many of the names in the book were unusual. Just wondering on how she went about choosing them.

My question is how in the world did you come up with these scenes?

Good Question Sharen. Yes, how did she piece it all together so seamlessly. It was good fun and delightful to hang out with these characters. 

Sorry I’m late to the party but I had to wait for my turn to retrieve the book from my local library.  Just finished reading and found my first Jen Turano book a tru delight.  Since this was not the first book in the series at first I thought maybe I had missed something when the first chapter started with the abduction, however as I kept reading I soon forgot all about my first thought until just now.  

I to was awed by the unusual name of Flowerdew and wondered how the author came up with that name.  It is definitely a name I will not easily forget.  

I'm THRILLED you joined the discussion Adriann. That's the beauty of being part of an on-line book club! Grin!

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think they were trying to get across?

How do the characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

Themes of forgiveness, family, faith, trust, love. Eugene and Mercy start in the beginning talking about what their pastor has told them when they were kids (which I've mentioned above)

Temperance and Clementine have a change of heart. Temperance to forgive those who abducted her and Clementine who had a part to play in it all. Clementine has a change of heart herself at the end which pleasantly surprised me.

Another thing I liked was the fact that Temperance had become a wall flower when she lived with her cousin Clementine. It wasn't until she caught up with Gilbert her childhood friend that she started to become herself again. Gilbert reminded her of who she was fun loving and free. She was an independent thinker and liked to laugh.

Gilbert was forever trying to control things, writing lists and planning every movie. It cracked me up when his friend was pushing him to propose to Temperance in front of everyone. Gilbert said he couldn't because he had forgotten his notes. He wasn't a showy guy either. He wanted the moment to be perfect (which hardly ever happens)

These are just a few of the things I enjoyed in this novel. Tell me what themes you enjoyed.

Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why?

I don't know how Temperance could stay as calm as she did in the coffin. Why did it make me uncomfortable? Because I don't like closed in places. Just the thought makes me ill! Grin!

I loved how Gilbert changed. At first, he was a very "by the book" type of person but as the story went on, he began to loosen up.  Temperance also changed because at the beginning she was very rebellious but it was couched as a free spirit. As the events transpired, her musical talents came back into play, she retained her free spirit and lost her rebellion. Clementine also changed from a very self-centered person to more outwardly focused as the story progressed and she realized that she had treated Temperance badly.

I liked how Gilbert changed. He was learning from Temperance to live in the moment instead  of documenting everything in order to go by the script. Most of the time you can't live that way. Look at his marriage proposal. He couldn't do it with out his script. (his list) LOL! He was right in not doing it publicly like his friend suggested.

I loved how Temperance changed in the story too. It was fun to read. I was surprised by Clementine's change. I wasn't sure if it was genuine at first. But the more it became clear she was really changing. I think that Temperance helped he along that journey. Again encouraging and fun read on many levels.

For me the theme was the importance of friendship and learning to forgive, and that God wants us to Above all be happy.

What made me feel uncomfortable was that Temperance felt she had to become a wallflower in the first place and that her only family left when she was told her parents were dead treated her so poorly.  Resentment towards others never works as they found out in the end.

That was a sad part for sure. I agree with you about the friendship and forgiveness themes. I enjoyed learning along with the characters as they changed and grew!

7. Which character did you relate to the most, and what was it about them that you connected with?

I related to Temperance and a little bit with Gilbert and his lists! LOL! How I related to Temperance was in how she changed from an outgoing person to a wall flower. I liked how the author showed Temperance coming out of her shell and being the person she was always meant to be.

I worked at a book store for 10 years loved every minute of it. Then for about 4 years I've had two jobs that did not require me to help and/or talk to people. (Matter of factly they discouraged it - there were certain people that did that and it wasn't in my job title) I've felt trapped.

I start a new job this week that is tapping into what I love to do best and that is to help and talk to customers. I liked how Gilbert helps Temperance remember who she was. I know this new job will do the same for me. I'm excited about it. I liked reading about Temperance's and Gilberts transformations.

8. What do you think about the book's cover? How well does it convey what the book is about? 

To be honest I don't think the cover conveys what's inside. It's lovely but it's jumbled. I'm not sure what message it sends. I don't know what I'd like to see on the cover, maybe a train scene and/or Chicago and/or a castle. I don't know. What do you all think?

I do know one thing I never would have picked this book up to look inside because of the cover. What sold the book to me was the authors name.

I really enjoyed the sisters and their matchmaking of the wallflowers.  The slipping of the ring in Gilbert’s pocket how they kept following him and Temperance as they wanted to see what happened.  I really liked Mr. Barkley as well and Edwina wanting to be a Pinkerton agent.  

Regarding the book cover it did nothing for me to make me want to check out the story.  I went and looked at various other book covers of Jan Turano and most of them were that way.  Thus maybe that is why I had never read any of her books.  What a shame as I probably missed a lot of delightful reading.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service