JOIN IN THE FUN

DISCUSSION

BOOK BLURB: Miss Temperance Flowerdew is on her way to work when a stranger suddenly grabs her off the street and sends her on a Chicago-bound train before she can figure out what happened. When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish is called upon to rescue a missing woman, he follows the trail to Chicago only to discover that the woman is his good friend Temperance. Before they can discover who was behind the abduction, they're seen alone together by a New York society matron, putting their reputations at risk. Gilbert is willing to propose marriage--except Temperance will have none of it. She's finally stepped out of the shadow of her relations and won't give up her independence. But when it becomes clear the misunderstanding in Chicago has escalated into a threat on her life and followed her to New York, accepting Gilbert's help in solving the mystery may lead to more than she ever could have dreamed.

FIRST QUESTION (I'll be posting one every day until April 30th)

1. I'd like to know what some of your favorite lines were in this book Along with your favorite characters?

2. What was your initial reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into? What was the turning point? First impression.

3. IF you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?

4. What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think they were trying to get across?

5. How do the characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

6. Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why?

7. Which character did you relate to the most, and what was it about them that you connected with?

8. What do you think about the book's cover? How well does it convey what the book is about? 

9. What character in this book would you like most as a friend, why?

10. If you could trade places with one of the characters in this story for a day, which one would it be, why?

11. What lesson, if any, did you learn from reading this book? How has that lesson affected your life?

12. What was the feeling you got when you read the last page and closed the book? Why were you feeling that way?

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

1. I'd like to know what some of your favorite lines were in this book Along with your favorite characters? 

I was quickly engaged from the start. Eugene and Mercy cracked me up as they discussed how they had captured Miss Temperance Flowerdew. Page 9 "I done told you, Eugene, that a person really can't be trusting those remedies sold at those apparition shops. Why, that lady has been senseless for hours. We ain't gonna get paid the rest of our money if we get to Chicago and discover she died along the way. Besides, I didn't sign up for no murdering of a young lady. That would go against everything Pastor Roy used to preach to us when we was young'uns.

"She ain't dead, Mercy. I checked her no more than 10 minutes ago, and I told you I heard snores coming out of the coffin. And not that I want to squabble with you, but I'm fair to certain that Pastor Roy wouldn't have approvn' of us stealing that lady from the street either, or whiskin' her off to Chicago. I might be wrong about this, but kidnapping a person is almost as bad as murderin' them."

These quys cracked me up.

Temperances' realization cracked me up too! Page 10

"She'd been abducted, stuffed into a coffin, and someone had apparently nailed the lid shut after they'd gotten through with stuffing her inside a place a living person wasn't supposed to be. They'd then, if she was following the conversation correctly, hauled her onto a train and were taking her to Chicago for some unknown reason."

The scene after this realization was entertaining and fun to read.

Looking forward to hearing what you liked about this book!

Since I've read another in Jen Turano's "Apart from the Crowd" 1880's series, I knew I'd be entertained by her vaudeville-esque style (and her "how many ways can you turn down a marriage proposal?" creativity!). The voluminous (but witty and comedic) dialogue--- and the self-described "wallflowers"  with delightful names -- don't hide the fact that there are multiple engaging story lines--love, intrigue, theft, abduction,... 

I LOVE Jen Turano. Yes, Zanese you hit it on the head. She is all the things you mentioned. It's just a fun wild ride but this one I thought was over the top fun. I hadn't read the other books in the series but I didn't feel lost. Great to hear from you!

I loved this book and it hooked me from the start. I laughed out loud with the bumbling kidnappers, Eugene and Mercy.

I can't really give out specific lines because I did not write them down but the tone throughout the novel was hilarious. It was like so much fun, like reading a comedy.

I'm thrilled to hear you LOVED this book. Yes, the kidnappers Eugene and Mercy made me laugh too!

I also liked how Mercy and Eugene were absorbed into the school. 

I liked that too Sharen!

Favorite character was Gilbert, his lists, and how his life got all tuned around when the love bug bit him.

He was fun to read about! Grin!

Mercy and Eugene had me laughing out loud every scene they were in.  When Mercy dragged the cart of typewriters into the parlor to hear the story about the beach attempt on Temperance’s life I nearly fell out of my seat picturing it.    I could see her pulling the cart with all her weight and the wheels squeaking loudly as it resisted being moved.  This book would make a great Hallmark movie our maybe Broadway type show.

I belly laughed too! These guys were a hoot! I agree with you this would be a fun movie!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service