ABOUT THE AUTHOR: 

Siri Mitchell graduated from the University of Washington with a business degree and worked in various levels of government. As a military spouse, she has lived all over the world, including Paris and Tokyo. Siri enjoys observing and learning from different cultures. She is fluent in French and loves sushi.

But she is also a member of a strange breed of people called novelists. When they’re listening to a speaker and taking notes, chances are, they’ve just had a great idea for a plot or a dialogue. If they nod in response to a really profound statement, they’re probably thinking, “Yes. Right. That’s exactly what my character needs to hear.” When they edit their manuscripts, they laugh at the funny parts. And cry at the sad parts. Sometimes they even talk to their characters.

Siri wrote 4 books and accumulated 153 rejections before signing with a publisher. In the process, she saw the bottoms of more pints of Ben & Jerry’s than she cares to admit. At various times she has vowed never to write another word again. Ever. She has gone on writing strikes and even stooped to threatening her manuscripts with the shredder.

Her tenth novel, The Messenger follows prior Bethany House releases: A Constant Heart (October 2008), Love's Pursuit (June 2009), She Walks in Beauty (Apr 2010), and A Heart Most Worthy (Mar 2011)

She Walks in Beauty won the inaugural INSPY Award for Historical Fiction in Dec 2010. Three of Siri's novels, Chateau of Echoes and The Cubicle Next Door, and She Walks in Beauty were Christy Award finalists. Love's Pursuit was a finalist for the ACFW Carol Award.

Publishers Weekly proclaimed, "Mitchell delivers the historical goods."

Siri is represented by Natasha Kern Literary Agency.

Publication Date: March 1, 2012

BOOK BLURB: Hannah Sunderland felt content in her embrace of the Quaker faith

...until her twin brother ran off and joined the army and ended up captured and in jail. Suddenly Hannah's world turns on end. She longs to bring her brother some measure of comfort in the squalid, frigid prison where he remains. But the Quakers believe they are not to take sides, not to take up arms. Can she sit by and do nothing while he suffers?

Jeremiah Jones has an enormous task before him. Responsibility for a spy ring is now his, and he desperately needs access to the men in prison, whom they are seeking to free. A possible solution is to garner a pass for Hannah. But while she is fine to the eye, she holds only disdain for him--and agreeing would mean disobeying those she loves and abandoning a bedrock of her faith.

With skill and sensitivity, Mitchell tells a story of two unlikely heroes seeking God's voice, finding the courage to act, and discovering the powerful embrace of love.

MANDATORY - PLEASE ANSWER SIRI'S QUESTION TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING!!

Since I write historical fiction, I would love to know: When you’ve read historical fiction, what has surprised you about the past?

********DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the enterer in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway is open EVERYONE!! This giveaway is sponsored by the PUBLISHER and is in no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winner will have 3 days to respond to email with your name and address - If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING MARCH 22nd****

WINNERS BELOW

1.Igah Ochanya
2.Martha Artyomenko

3.Candice Valdez

4.Angela Riley

5.Erin Shepherd 

6.Angela Holland

7. Teena Stewart

8.Brenda Bryson  

9.Amy Velazquez
10.Sherrinda Ketchersid

Views: 877

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that is surprising in a sense is how characters just show up without warning because there is no e-mail, text or telephone to see if it is okay to drop-in to see someone.

Thank you for the chance to win a copy of the book. It looks like a good read!

Blessings,

Janice jsmithg(at)hotmail(dot)com

You are right about that. It's unheard of to do that now a days!! Grin! Funny!

I think honor and respect.  I also think about how strong the women were in history past---how they were able to adapt to their living conditons.  I think about mideval times and think what a hard time it would have been to have been a woman in those days.  Guess I'm spoiled by all the modern comforts of today.  Also, even just 30 years ago, just "dressing-up" to take a trip on an airplane or train--we all wore dresses and the men wore suits or at least a suit coat.  Now, it's just whatever.  We have become extremely casual. LOL!

Thanks for the chance to read your book.  I love historical fiction!!

Good point Tab about the honor and respect. But in Mideval times I don't think people lived long. Funny also about the dressing up part. Whatever is in right now. Good thing for me! I have a lot of that in my closet. Grin!

I think the biggest thing that surpraises me about the past is that how in the end no matter where we live and what era we live in we as humans still want the same thing. We want to be loved, make a difference, raise a family, have friends, be accepted, and the list could go on and on. It is so easy to think that issues we face now are something new but they aren't. 

Thank you for the giveaway!

jen.whitney08@gmail.com

Bravo Jennifer. You right times are different but out basic needs are all the same not matter what generation you grow up in or what part of history you read!! Good point! Thanks for the reminder!

I've been surprised by how genuine the people are. When reading history text books you get the impression that people were stuffy and uptight. I love being drawn into a world that is so similar to today.

Dana (toadandtoadette at gmail dot com)

Good point Dana!

What surprises me is the courage, strength and belief some of the characters have. Depending on their circumstances it can take a lot to endure what they have. These are all things that make them stronger and for me to cheer them on.

They did have to work hard and had to have perseverance for sure! Na!

Some things that have surprised me about the past in books is some of the conditions that people have had to endure and how strong some of the people were.

Thank you for the chance to win. griperang at embarqmail dot com

They did have to be strong and work hard. There never seemed to be enough time to rest.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service