ABOUT BOOK: Finding himself the man of the family, London dancing master Alec Valcourt moves his mother and sister to remote Devonshire, hoping to start over. But he is stunned to learn the village matriarch has prohibited all dancing, for reasons buried deep in her past.

Alec finds an unlikely ally in the matriarch's daughter. Though he's initially wary of Julia Midwinter's reckless flirtation, he comes to realize her bold exterior disguises a vulnerable soul--and hidden sorrows of her own.

Julia is quickly attracted to the handsome dancing master--a man her mother would never approve of--but she cannot imagine why Mr. Valcourt would leave London, or why he evades questions about his past. With Alec's help, can Julia uncover old secrets and restore life to her somber village...and to her mother's tattered heart?

Filled with mystery and romance, The Dancing Master brings to life the intriguing profession of those who taught essential social graces for ladies and gentlemen hoping to make a "good match" in Regency England.

ABOUT AUTHOR: Three-time Christy Award winner Julie Klassen loves all things Jane--Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Julie worked in publishing for sixteen years and now writes full time. She and her husband have two sons and live in St. Paul, Minnesota. Learn more at www.julieklassen.com

MANDATORY ANSWER ONE OF THE QUESTIONS BELOW TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING!

1. Do you like Jane Austin? If so what is the draw for you? What book of her's do you love most?

2. In the fun interview I did with Julie Klassen she went to an actual Jane Austin conference where they has a real ball where everyone dressed up. What do you love most about being at a ball? If you went to one what would you love to do first?

3. Dancing Masters often taught fencing as well as dancing. Thanks Julie for writing about this. Which would you prefer to learn Dancing and/or Fencing? Why? (Both can be intimidating to me! Just saying? Grin)

********DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA and Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING IS LAST DAY OF MONTH*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN  

Views: 1135

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to learn how to dance, my daughter-in-law and granddaughter dance quite a bit, and they are in such good shape. It is great exercise. I can see the connection to fencing, though I never thought of it before.

3. I would love to learn both dancing and fencing. I am always up for the out of the ordinary adventure, and I definitely would consider being trained in fencing to be an adventure.

3. Dancing! I have always wanted to be a naturally good dancer, unfortunately, I am not and I would need to take classes. Dancing is something that just looks so fun and it out stands  me just how many different ways the body can move if it is taught to do so.

I remember going to several balls as I was a single younger woman.  I loved the dresses and getting my hair done and all that went with it!  It brings back memories.  However, now I would feel a bit awkward at my age, so I am glad I had that opportunity years ago.  Now, I probably wouldn't go because there was one opportunity at the governor's mansion which I didn't feel comfortable going to, so didn't. Had I gone I have no idea what I would do first, maybe greet the host and hostess???

I enjoy Jane Austin's book because they give us a window into the time , allowing us to enjoy the simplicity, grace and romance of  that era. We see the struggles and demands of society yet she portrays hope and true love in her stories. I believe Emma is my favorite.

I cannot see myself (in my 70s) in tights wielding a sword. I'd much rather learn to dance.

"Learn to dance," you say, "at your age you haven't learned?" 

No, I haven't and that's why I'd like to learn to slow dance...the joints won't cooperate for the modern dancing. If I twisted that much, I don't think I could untwist

I really would love to sway with the older, romantic songs from Dean Martin, or old "Blue Eyes."

Thanks for listening.

3. I would like to learn to fence because it looks like a fun exercise plus I enjoy playing sports.

1) I love Jane Austen. I was thinking about this recently and I think it is because today this are so over the top and overt. In those days even the smallest thing could mean something wonderful. That appeals to me.  I love Pride and Prejudice best.

I love Jane Austen. I like the way she shows that wealth isn't all that should be considered in a marriage. Her sarcastic humor is also a draw.

3.) I think I would like to learn how to Ballroom dance, instead of fencing. I could wear an beautiful elegant dress (Like the young lady on the cover). But then, Fencing could come in handy in I'm ever in a Western movie... Hmmm. "Ungaurd, Partner! Yee-haw!" ;)

2.  I would love to go to a ball.  Dressing up and being announced at the door and having men fill out your dance card sounds so romantic and fun.  I would love to be able to attend. 

1. Do you like Jane Austin? If so what is the draw for you? What book of her's do you love most?

I love Jane Austen!! I'm not really sure what the draw is, but I do also love Jane Eyre... the movie-- wow! Sad, but wonderful.

2. In the fun interview I did with Julie Klassen she went to an actual Jane Austin conference where they has a real ball where everyone dressed up. What do you love most about being at a ball? If you went to one what would you love to do first?

I would be the girl holding up the wall. I don't dance. :) I would love to see how things go... just watch everything-- take it all in.

3. Dancing Masters often taught fencing as well as dancing. Thanks Julie for writing about this. Which would you prefer to learn Dancing and/or Fencing? Why? (Both can be intimidating to me! Just saying? Grin)

I would love to learn both. I would possibly be better at fencing, but I'm not sure. I honestly think that fencing is a kind of dance... so, if you're good at dancing, then at least your moves would be good in fencing. :)

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service