I am the Book Club coordinator for a large church in Roanoke, VA.  Our club started 4 years ago meeting monthly in two discussion groups.  The Tuesday group meets 11:30am-1:00pm at the church and the Saturday group meets 9:30am-11:00am at a Panera Bread. In addition to the club members, many others read from our book list even if they cannot attend a discussion group.  Some of these readers choose to meet in smaller groups or individually with a club member to share their thoughts about a book.

Because there are limited spaces for books on the schedule, each selection must meet the following criteria:  first and foremost a chosen book must honor God, secondly, it must be a well written great story offering potential discussion topics. Being aware that the books I choose for the club will be spending the time and money of our readers, only the best of the best make the final book list.  I intentionally seek variety in genres, authors, geographic locations, time periods, and topics. I am personally rewarded when our members are stretched to read something beyond what they would normally consider and I take special delight in introducing new authors to the group.  I actively search for first time authors having found that often a first book has been marinating in the author’s heart for years yielding a carefully crafted story.  An excellent example of this is Linore Rose Burkard’s book “Before the Season Ends.”  Without exception, everyone in both of our discussion groups loved this first book of Linore’s.  So much so that most of our readers ended up reading all three books in her series as they were released.  C.J. Darlington’s first book “Thicker Than Blood” has been added to our fall schedule because not only was it a great story, but she handled some difficult subjects with sensitivity and created likeable characters in spite of their flaws.  I am looking forward to the sequel.  On my stack of books that I am previewing for the club is “Crossing Oceans” by another first time author Gina Holmes.  I can already tell that Gina will join the group of elite authors whose work everyone admires and respects.

Much research goes into picking a book for the club.  Obviously each book must be read with discernment of the content.  Twice each year, I have our members anonymously complete a survey about each of the books we read.  Without the burden of putting their names with their opinions, I find the results are candid and very helpful.  Note to authors:  Reader response is not always an accurate reflection of your talent.  For example one of the most talented wordsmiths and story tellers in the business was the most polarizing author on one of our surveys.  The response was almost evenly divided between 10’s (the best) and 1’s (the worst) with very little middle ground.  The added comments revealed that those giving a poor rating totally missed the genius of what the author was trying to convey in the book.

I always check an author’s website before selecting their book.  The site does not have to be technically “slick” but information about the author and why they write is very useful.  It also helps to know if they have a personal connection or special knowledge about the subject matter of their books.  I often check the sites of my favorite authors to see what they are recommending and have followed links on their sites to some real gems some of which were added into the Book Club mix.

In August before our new “book year” starts in September, our group takes a road trip to a special location with “atmosphere” to enjoy a long leisurely lunch and share what the members have been reading in addition to the club selections.  I take careful notes of the members’ likes and dislikes and always choose one of their recommendations (after reading it myself of course!) to go on the coming year’s schedule.  This is also my opportunity to recommend the great books I read during the year which didn’t make the book list because of space constraints or because the subject matter had already been covered.  While I try not to duplicate content, I do not have a problem with offering more than one book by the same author.  Each book is considered on its own merit.  Also if an author’s previous work did not qualify to be a selection, I will still revisit their new work in the future for consideration.

Discussing the book selecting process brings me to another thought about book reviews.  Once a club leader has been at the selection process a while, it becomes apparent which reviews are genuine. The most helpful reviews reveal enough of the content along with information about the author’s writing style to peak interest in the book.  Reviews that simply state whether someone liked or didn’t like the book are interesting but not terribly useful.  On Amazon I always read the top and bottom reviews for clarity.

The most challenging aspect of my Book Club leadership role is narrowing the potential book choices down to the number that will fit on our schedule.  This limitation has so disappointed me that I am considering a quarterly “bonus discussion group” that would perhaps meet in the evening over dinner and would include both men and women.  Any thoughts on this idea?

Well this is probably enough to get this discussion going but I would like to thank Fred and Nora for making this forum available to link Book Clubs and authors.  I have already found much of the content useful. Having watched trailers and read some of the reviews, the UPS truck will be delivering an Amazon order to my door this week! J

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would someone recommend an on line book club a new author/publisher can join? Thanks so much!:)
Winsome Alexander said:
Would someone recommend an on line book club a new author/publisher can join? Thanks so much!:)

ACFW bookclub

Just go to American Christian Fiction Writers and search for bookclub and then join. Easy as pie!
Wow, I loved reading this post and its comments. This kind of encouragement is just what an author of Christian fiction needs to hear once in awhile. There are times when we stare at the computer screen wondering if our words are making any kind of impact. Knowing people have been so deeply touched by Christian fiction means so much because it gives an author hope that their words can be a balm to a hurting soul. Thanks for sharing, Sandi! And I'm so honored you chose Thicker than Blood as a selection. :)
Sandi,

Thanks for sharing all that goes on behind the scenes in making a book club work. I had a few book club leaders email me about selecting my first book for their Dec meeting, then email me later to tell me how well it went. Very humbling to think about a group of people taking that amount of time to discuss something I've written. Especially to hear how it affected them. When you sit alone writing all those hours, you don't tend to think of a time off in the future when God might use this feeble offering to encourage and affect people that way.

After reading what you said, I can easily see how someone might get so much more out of a book reading it with a club than on their own. Especially seeing all the work people like you go through to pick just the right one. Dont envy your challenge, with so many good books coming out now.
Sandi,

Thank you for articulating some of things that guide readers, particularly readers in groups. What I hear you saying is that we can experience a kind of communion with books. Breaking words in place of bread, drinking truth like wine, finding community. Book groups renew the soul, and redirect our days.

Though I can't speak for other authors, this is what guides me as a writer. I switched from journalism to novels because nonfiction meant sticking to literal facts in order to be true. But fiction stayed true by sticking to God, by revealing his elemental truth in our lives. Parables, if you will.

Fiction stretches the writer, and as you point out, the reader, too. Just like the parables do. As a reporter/outsider in Richmond, Virginia, I enjoyed writing for the newspaper, but often came home at night feeling another story could be told. Back then, I was a young white girl from the North, spending her days in Richmond's inner city, moving from housing projects to the city jail to the morgue. My emotions were multi-layered and confusing at times, and gave birth to my first novel, The Stones Cry Out. The emotional journey with the city continues today with The Clouds Roll Away, which is dedicated to Richmond.

It's exciting to see this discussion, and it bodes well for this cool enterprise that Nora and Fred have launched (with a seed from Gina Holmes Waters). Thank you again for your good words on books and readers.

Looking forward to more,

Sibella Giorello
I really like how you put this, a communion with books. Finding Community, book groups renew the soul, and redirect our days. AMEN!!

Yes, I truly feel that way about book club. I also see when authors speak to book clubs it's a renewing of their soul too. They get immediate feed back whether on the phone or in person. Authors are able to ask questions of the club as to see if things worked in a scene or not. I've had authors ask my group questions about the book they wrote or ones that they are working on. They could get a small poll as to what the audience felt or thought.

I had no idea that you could have so much fun at the same time be moved so deeply at book club meetings. The book club experience is definitely a special moment!!
Many before me have said some of the things that were on my heart. I just wanted to add one more thing....

I'm reminded of Paul's statement in 1 Cor. 3:6 "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." As authors we diligently write our stories, the seed that the Lord has given us to share. People like you come along and water that seed by encouraging others to talk about what they learned from it. And we all sit back and trust the Lord to begin the growth.

So, thank you for partnering with us to bring our stories to others! As someone else stated earlier, I don't envy you the job of picking your scheduled books. There are so many good stories out there!
Golden Keyes Parsons said:
What a wonderful post! One of my favorite things to do is meet with a Book Club that has chosen my book to review. I loved hearing that you like to review first-time novelists' books. And you are right - sometimes those first novels have been resonating in the author's heart and spirit for a very long time. My first book was based on my family genealogy and spiritual heritage of the persecution of the French Huguenots. The third book, and completion of that series, will be released this fall.

Thanks so much for your input!
Thanks for your input Golden. I have read both "In the Shadow of the Sun King" and "A Prisoner of Versailles." Both of these are on my "potential books" list is the category of a period piece. I learned a lot about the French Huguenots from your books and am looking forward to the 3rd. I especially loved the character of Pierre...I hope Madeleine continues to grow spiritually and emotionally in the third book to be worthy of his devotion. At times Madeleine still appeared a bit self absorbed. I hope you add more about Jean. He is also a very worthy hero and deserves some pages for his story!
Nora is facilitating that group by the way. (ACFW Online Book Club)

Michelle Sutton said:
Winsome Alexander said:

ACFW bookclub

Just go to American Christian Fiction Writers and search for bookclub and then join. Easy as pie!
Thanks family.:)
I just wanted to encourage anyone who has book club leaders in their address book, or other Social Networks, to please refer them here.
This will be more and more exciting and effective when we can enjoy the participation of other leaders like Sandi and Nora here, as well as those lurking out there who have a heart to start a book club but are at a loss as to how to begin... we can help them.
Thanks for your comments Dan. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was unfamiliar with your work until this network became available. (Thanks again Fred for making this site available to connect authors and book clubs) As it turns out I am looking for a "Christmas themed" book for the December schedule and when I saw that your first book "The Unfinished Gift" was available for a great price on Amazon I added that plus your brand new book "The Homecoming" to the big box the UPS man will have to trudge up our long steep drive this week. Heehee...that's okay, he is used to almost weekly deliveries of books. I will let you know when I finish reading them.

Dan Walsh said:
Sandi,

Thanks for sharing all that goes on behind the scenes in making a book club work. I had a few book club leaders email me about selecting my first book for their Dec meeting, then email me later to tell me how well it went. Very humbling to think about a group of people taking that amount of time to discuss something I've written. Especially to hear how it affected them. When you sit alone writing all those hours, you don't tend to think of a time off in the future when God might use this feeble offering to encourage and affect people that way.

After reading what you said, I can easily see how someone might get so much more out of a book reading it with a club than on their own. Especially seeing all the work people like you go through to pick just the right one. Dont envy your challenge, with so many good books coming out now.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service