ABOUT AUTHOR: Patrick W. Carr is the author of the acclaimed fantasy A Cast of Stones. He teaches high school and makes his home in Nashville, Tennessee, with his incredible wife, Mary, and their four sons, Patrick, Connor, Daniel, and Ethan. Learn more at www.patrickwcarr.com

ABOUT BOOK: A CAST OF STONES -  The Staff and the Sword series (Book 1)

An Epic Medieval Saga Fantasy Readers Will Love 

In the backwater village of Callowford, Errol Stone's search for a drink is interrupted by a church messenger who arrives with urgent missives for the hermit priest in the hills. Desperate for coin, Errol volunteers to deliver them but soon finds himself hunted by deadly assassins. Forced to flee with the priest and a small band of travelers, Errol soon learns he's joined a quest that could change the fate of his kingdom.

Protected for millennial by the heirs of the first king, the kingdom's dynasty is near an end and a new king must be selected. As tension and danger mount, Errol must leave behind his drunkenness and grief, learn to fight, and come to know his God in order to survive a journey to discover his destiny.

MANDATORY ANSWER ONE OF THE QUESTIONS TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING!!

1.       As a reader, how much do you want to understand the motivations behind what the villain does?

2.       What separates a great book from a good book? Examples?

3.       How much does the cover influence your buying decision? Or How far do you read into a book before deciding to go on or not?

********DISCLAIMER: Entering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING FEBRUARY 28th *** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN 

Views: 599

Replies to This Discussion

1) As a reader I want to know what motivates the person in how they act and why they do what they do.  The villianous behaviour is a sometimes a by-product of what they have experienced in their own life.  To understand the motivation can make a redemptive move by the villian all that more revealing and meaningful.

2) What separates a great book from a good book is the entirity of the book.  The entire book draws you in the setting, the characters, the writting you feel as if you are part of this world and this life.  A good book can have one or two of theses as well but when you come to the end you don't feel the as if you or the book has moved away.  For me, I consider a book to be a great book when I want to read it over and over again and not get tired of it.  Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Pat of Silver Bush, the Tales of Goldstone Wood series and Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg series are these type books.  When I feel sad or down I can visit old friends and get out of myself.

3) Sometimes a book cover will draw me to it but I know from experience that the cover may not accurately portray the characters or the story, so I don't make my choice completely on the cover.  I read the back cover info which is also sometimes wrong (once a character was meantioned who did not appear once in the book) to help guide my choice.  I will read 3 or 4 chapters before giving up on a book (which has only happened 2 times and both were reccomendations from friends.  But they were awful books language, morals and horrible writting and typos. UGHHHH!)  I am usually pretty good at picking out books I want to read and am able to read them all the way through.  There have been times when I haven't been in the mood for a certain book and I will put it aside and later pick it up and thoroughly enjoy it and not able to figure out why I wasn't in the mood for it at the earlier date.

Question number one about knowing the motivations of the villain is important to me because I can many times relate to the reasons they became one and identify with them in that. Ruth Anne Lee

Hi Patrick!!! I'm super super excited for yr new series!!! I LUV the cover, really looks like my kinda book (which sorta answers question 3...lol)
But I'll answer #1... Other than fantasy/medieval/supernatural books, I LUV me a good mystery! But I always avoided books where the writer lets us in on who the villain is. I always wanted to try and figure it out with the main charcters as I read. BUT that all changed when I read VANISHED by Irene Hannon!!! Early in the book, we know who the bad guy is, and just getting to see what makes him tick, PLUS knowing things that our main character did not know....made it all the more suspenseful and nail biting! While I still enjoy a good whodunit, reading from the villains perspective is thrilling as well!!!

#1: Motivation of the villain is a major part of the story! Understanding the villain is getting into his head, and understanding what the protaganist has to look out for, and just how for the antagonist is willing to push his luck, and to what extreme he/she is willing to go to to take out the good guy. I think it can be crucial!

#2: Good books get the story out of the way with a little WOW. Great books give background, the main characters have their crazy quirks that the readers find themselves saying throughout the day. Good books are easy to put down. GREAT books? You're willing to lose sleep to find out what happens, to the point where you practically want to contact the author by telephone, let alone the author's contact page, just to get into an author's head! Great authors know how to describe a setting, aside from green grass and stone sidewalks. I want to smell what's among that green grass, I want to see what a tin roof house looks like in Louisiana, (IE, James Lee Burke) and I want to literally SMELL Pecan and Banana trees! Great books don't just let you know there was a fight. GREAT books MAKE YOU feel the punches and kicks, to the point where you just might spit blood. Dean Koontz has good, and he's had great. But the difference between him and James Lee Burke, and even Preston & Child, is that I just might read Koontz once a year, if that. Burke? Preston & Child. I don't just take the time to read them, I MAKE the time to read them, because they're THAT GREAT!!!

#3: Believe it or not? Covers don't mean a whole lot to me. But a title does, and hearing great things about it just might do wonders for me, especially if I've been extremely interested to begin with. In case you're wondering, Patrick W. Carr, I've been IMMENSELY interested in this one, I love to review books on Amazon, and that's exactly what you'll get if I win a copy. I won't make you look bad, brother! Because just from these questions alone, you're worth it, and your words are going to hit home. I hope I get to experience your genius!!!

As most people are visual, I myself do find that the cover of a book is a draw for me.  I have actually chosen books based entirely on the cover.  However, that is not the only factor that weighs in on my decision of whether to read or not read the novel.  I honestly very rarely do not complete a book.  I find that I keep telling myself, if the story is not what I expected, that it will turn around and reminding myself that someone has poured their heart and soul into this story.  Presently, I can only think of three books over the last 10 years, that I haven't finished.

How much does the Cover influence your buying decision? I think that a great book cover sells the book.

3. The cover can influence me a bit, but if I've heard good things about the book, or I just want to see what the book is about, it doesn't influence me too much. I normally try to finish a book unless it has a load of profanity that I don't want to expose myself to. That's why I love Christian books.

The book cover has a lot to do with whether I will read a book or not.  I enjoy the artwork and try to imagine it in the story as I read.  Good character description and lots of dialogue are what I like best in a story.  I like to feel I am in the background watching it all unfold.  I especially like good descriptions of new worlds the author creates for the story.  Thank  you for the opportunity to participate!

As a reader, I want to know enough motivation to see why the villain is doing it. A look into the villain's past always does this for me. 

#1. I very much like to understand the villain.There is always a story behind why they do what they do and how they became that way.Knowing the details humanizes them and helps you relate better.When you don't know their story you can very much hate them and sneer in disgust at what they are doing.But when you have had a little back ground you can understand better.Instead of hating them you pitty them.

#2. The great books always have deep emotion and wonderful details that pull you all the way into a story.You know it is a great book when people are all around you or mabye the T.V. is blaring and yet you have not lost one speck of focus.

#3. I am  ashamed to admit that the cover very much influences my buying decisions.If a book has a great cover it will be more likely to catch my eye and I will proceed to explore the back.But, if the cover happens to have a boring picture I will scim right over it and not bother to read the back.I know I have likely missed great books in that way but i can not help it.People are drawn or repelled by things they see.

When I start a book I can usually tell pretty quick if I will like it or not.I tend to read a few chapters and by then am either hooked or I decide to put the book down.

Thank you very much for the chance to win this book.It looks like a great one!

kaijo95@gmail.com

I really want to know the motivations behind the villain's behavior. That gives depth to the character but does not excuse the bad behavior. That knowledge of background gives understanding of how the behavior incubated.

I loved the book trailer, and the music with it was a perfect match! Creativity runs in your family and probably means there is a special closeness as your family interweaves on projects such as this.

Blessings, Janice

#1 It's imperative for me to have at least some sense of a villain's motivation. Villainy or evil just for its own sake, makes no sense to me, and also makes for a boring book. It's vital for the development of the character. The "why's" are what give a villain depth, whether you want to elicit sympathy or elevate your fear, and/or hatred of the villain.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Another Important Poll

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service