We are starting a book club and will begin with Kim Vogel Sawyer's Fields of Grace. We are going to read all genre's of Christian Fiction.  We'll meet monthly and have authors via phone for some books.

Can you tell me what books you've read that you'd reccommend for our group?  Any books you'd avoid? lol

The purpose of our group is several fold--as an outreach to those who are unchurched but like to read to introduce them to the Christian life as lived out by characters so they might come to know Jesus, for women who might be new to their faith and intimidated by a Bible study to open discussion on how you live out your faithand apply Scripture to real life circumstance, to open discussion of those who are mature in faith about hard subjects like grief, forgiveness, sin, etc.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Blessings, Kim 

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! We may need to read faster and meet more often! lol Thanks for all the suggestions!
It's not out in paperback yet, but I just finished Charles Martin's The Mountains Between Us. I don' know if anyone's shared another book of his: When Crickets Cry
Love When Crickets Cry! We had Charles join us by phone when we discussed his book - a true Southern gentleman :)
Kim,

Here are some of our favorites:

This Present Darkness, by Frank Parretti
The Note, by Angela Hunt

Deadlock, by James Scott Bell
Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers
A Time to Dance, by Karen Kingsbury
Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn
The List, by Robert Whitlow

Eli, by Bill Myers
Sisterchicks on the Loose, by Robin Jones Gunn

A Delerious Summer, by Ray Blackston
The Last Sin Eater, by Francine Rivers
The Swan House, by Elizabeth Musser
Eve's Daughters, by Lynn Austin
The Potluck Club, by Shepherd and Everson

Unspoken, Angela Hunt
Gardenias for Breakfast, by Robin Jones Gunn
The Dwelling Place, by Elizabeth Musser
Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol, by Creston Mapes
Levi's Will, by W. Dale Cramer
A Table by the Window, by Lawana Blackwell
Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther 480-465 BC, by Ginger Garrett

When Crickets Cry, by Charles Martin
The Yada Yada Prayer Group, by Neta Jackson
Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance, by Chris Coppernoll

The Mending String, by Cliff Coon
Chasing Fireflies, by Charles Martin
Sutter's Cross, by W. Dale Cramer
In the Shadow of Lions, by Ginger Garrett
Searching for Eternity, by Elizabeth Musser
Nobody, by Creston Mapes

Where My Heart Belongs, by Tracie Peterson
A Beautiful Fall, by Chris Coppernoll
Rain Song, by Alice J. Wisler
Wrapped in Rain, by Charles Martin
RV There Yet?, by Diann Hunt
The Shape of Mercy: A Novel, by Susan Meissner
Words Unspoken, by Elizabeth Musser

The Measure of a Lady: A Novel, by Deeanne Gist
Blue Hole Back Home: A Novel, by Joy Jordan-Lake
The Wedding Machine, by Beth Webb Hart
White Picket Fences, Susan Meissner
Crossing Oceans, by Gina Holmes
Where the River Ends, by Charles Martin

I recommend reading ratings and commentary on the books to see if they would be a good fit for your group. We tend to pick "lighter" reads during the summer. It's no fun to read a real "downer" on the beach! Praying your group has a wonderful launch!

Blessings,
Mitzi
Thanks, Mitzi. I agree with the no heavy books in summer. With the heat, a heavy book is especially heavy! lol Looks like you've read some great books. Some I've read, some not. Some I'm putting on my personal read list.

Blessings,

Kim
THANKS Mitzi for sharing your list. I enjoy seeing what other groups read!! I appreciate you! I noticed that you read UNSPOKEN by Angela Hunt. I have to be honest with you when I told my ladies I had picked this for the group they were NOT THRILLED!! They took one look at the cover and said "A Monkey? We are going to read a book about a Monkey??? Ok! They rolled their eys."

"Have I lead you all astray before? No, I'm not about to start!! Trust me on this!~ Keep reading this story will grab your heart and change your mind!"

I said, "You will be so surprised by what is inside. Don't judge a book by it's cover. "

After they all finished the book they thanked me for picking it. It was definately something they would NEVER have pick up to read. It made them think, laugh and cry! A very powerful book! I'm glad to see you shared what with you ladies too!

I like to read books that they normally wouldn't pick up. I love when they haven't heard of an author and also haven't heard or read about the subject matter inside. It makes for a fun book club meeting :D
I would definitely recommend any of Mike Dellosso's books--"The Hunted," "Scream," and "Darlington Woods." They are Christian thrillers, but the message of salvation is clear in each of the books.
Kim, I'd suggest James Rubart's ROOMS. It's a great read.
I just finished Nancy Mehl's Simple Secrets, and I really liked it. It was a good mystery and a good romance. And I also just read Deeanne Gist's Maid to Match. She did a fabulous job on this book, conveying the splendor of Biltmore House as well as the life of the servants there, and the romance was top notch.
Anything by Susan May Warren. Her books are compelling and cross genres.
Nothing But Trouble
Double Trouble
The Noble Series:
Reclaiming Nick, Taming Rafe, Finding Stephanie
Sons of Thunder
Flee the Night
These are but a few
Kim's book is a wonderful choice for your first book. I like her writing and believe your group will, too.

I'd love for you to consider my newest release as one of your book choices--Love Finds You in Golden, New Mexico. You can check out the reviews on Amazon and on Goodreads to get an idea about the book.

If a group chooses my book, I will gladly call the group during the discussion or Skype with them. Or if it is an online group, I'll join the discussion when I can.
YES! This helps. To get the author perspective of their book. So many books and not enough ME.
Tiffany and Lena, thanks for telling us about your books!

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service