So, we are starting a book club and were deciding on books. We all agreed we did not want any doctrinal books, but then the one lady said she did not want any Christian fiction either. i did pick out a couple that are not the typical "Christian fiction" types..... and at least one is on the list.
Have you run into this often? People tend to think of christian fiction as either badly written books, not controversial enough, or too preachy....
What things do you do to combat that?

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you want to start with great Christian fiction that has a real message choose any Karen Kingsbury book. (Check to make sure you start with the 1st one in a series) There are even discussion quesions at the back of some of her books. She really gets to the heart of the matter and you can't put her books down once you start reading.

If you don't want doctrinal books nor Christian fiction, may I suggest a nonfiction, which may be controversial - certainly enlightening? Beyond Buggies and Bonnets: Seven True Stories of Former Amish releases in MAY 2015. It'll be in both ebook and paperback. 

I share intimate details of helping former Amish adjust to life on the "outside" and what I've learned about their reclusive Swartzentruber and conservative Old Orders. Our son-in-love is from the Swartzentruber Order, we've "adopted" two sons, and befriended many who find refuge in our home. 
Readers discover how these orders

• choose their bishop and other clergy,
  • date,
  • perform  a wedding,
  • mandate buggy rules, and the cost of buggy ownership,
  • require kapp use,
  • why some turn their back on their settlement, and much more! 

A rare (written) Swartzentruber Ordnung, Glossary, and Recommended reading list are included in the Appendix. Written in a compassionate, compelling story form, educators or those who want true cultural literacy, will love this unusual book available in May, 2015.

Best wishes on deciding on books for your new book club.

Our book club members all are Christians so that makes it a bit different and maybe easier.  We alternate fiction and non fiction.  Not all of our books are Christian.  I often look at the Christy Award winners and Rita or another award.  I always read reviews on Amazon and CBD.

Maybe you could have each member of your group select a book for a month.  That way, each member should be happy at least one time.

I had often heard that Christian fiction wasn't good, but I have gotten some of those friends to enjoy Christian fiction.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Another Important Poll

Birthdays

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2018   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service