Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

So, we are starting a book club and were deciding on books. We all agreed we did not want any doctrinal books, but then the one lady said she did not want any Christian fiction either. i did pick out a couple that are not the typical "Christian fiction" types..... and at least one is on the list.
Have you run into this often? People tend to think of christian fiction as either badly written books, not controversial enough, or too preachy....
What things do you do to combat that?

Views: 819

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here, here. Bruce's point is well taken. It is the audience. I see my audience as the secular world. I want to plant a spiritual thought that will lead the reader to question her or his own worldview. I want the theme to drive the novel. I don't write from my own view; I create characters, worlds, and events that stand on their own. If they were derived simply from my own thoughts and worldview, they would be boring. Many of my characters are women, I am not a woman. I can't write from my own view and express a woman's character. I must get out of my own skin, out of my own preoccupations, out of my own predudices, out of myself to write something that is not simply my ideas, but rather a reflection of reality that transends anything that is me. Simply said, none of my characters are reflections of me. They are beings based in the real world that express a much greater reality than my simple view of the world. This is what writing is about. The reality is that a Christian writer will write in themes that reflect eternal truths because they undersatnd eternal truths. But they are truths that extend beyond anything the writer might ever completely understand. This is the point of writing after all--to express thoughts that transcend the real world in ways that make those ideas seem like the real world.
I think the best thing is to pick a few really good books to start with. The quality of Christian fiction has improved immensely -- and is frankly better than a lot of the ABA fiction I read. Some truly great authors are:

Brandilyn Collins
Colleen Coble
Tim Downs
Jim Rubart
Susan May Warren
Dan Walsh

And there are so many I could add to this list! But get them started on one and see if the impression doesn't change.

When I began Mug N Muffin, it was to introduce readers to new authors (not necessarily new to print, but those that many people in my small town might not have heard of) of Christian fiction. So....there was no doubt what we'd be reading, but I had several ladies say they didn't want to come because they didn't want to read Christian fiction. I did a kick off event with a local author and invited the public. I'm in a very rural area so it was a big deal! News coverage, the whole nine yards. AFTER hearing the author talk and meeting her, many of those same ladies bought her books and several of them now come to the book group.

At our kick off event, I listed books across all genres of Christian fiction and had each one interested circle the choices she thought she'd like to read. That became our first years reading list. One comment that I hear over and over is, "I never thought I'd like this, but it's not like Christian fiction used to be." We read Kathy Macias, "No Greater Love" which opened a great discussion on Apartheid. We read Dying Declaration by Randy Singer which opened up great discussions about the law and faith. We read The Familiar Stranger by Christina Berry which opened up a great discussion on marriage and forgiveness. None of the books were preachy.

My suggestion would be to go across genres and not describe them as Christian fiction. It's all good fiction! A legal thriller. Women's fiction. Suspense. The "proof" is in the pudding. When this lady reads good stories, I think she'll be surprised.

The other thing I did was make the group open ended--if you want to read the book that month, fine. If you don't, fine. Your choice. If the book doesn't appeal to you, just don't read that month. What I've found is everyone is reading every month because they don't want to miss out!

Blessings and good luck!

Kim 

I've had a couple of readers tell me they've quit reading Christian fiction because it has become like nonChristian fiction. I assured them that my book is family friendly. I wondered about that so I check the library when I go and the book stores. There are some pretty strange books under the Christian lable. Of course, I know that there are huge numbers of family friendly Christian fiction books, but it's too bad there are some that aren't. Now that the self-published authors are a large number and growing, I think we'll see more questionable Christian fiction literature. Please don't think I'm pointing to self-published writers as a problem or the problem--I'm not. I'm just saying there are no guidelines to adhere to. I subscribed to this theory--what one generation allows, the next takes to the excess. We've seen that in literature, music, movies, first amendment rights, etc. since the 60s. No reason to believe it will be any different in Christian fiction in my humble opinion.

Yes Tom, and it's too bad that some writers have corrupted Christian fiction to the point that Christians are turing their backs on those of us serving our Lord Jesus Christ through good Christian works.

Imagine if Christians created the buzz and word-of-mouth around good Christian works instead of following a secular mindset and agenda.

What about introducing Historical Christian Fiction?

May I suggest my historical series, Daughters of the Potomac?  The first book, 'Before the Scarlet Dawn' comes out Feburary 1, 2012 through Abingdon Press, with the other two novels, 'Beside Two Rivers' and 'Beyond the Valley' six months apart.  These are not sugary stories, but rather stories about three women who face challenging hardships in colonial times, set along the Potomac River in Maryland and in the Hope Valley, England.

Blessings,

Rita Gerlach

ritagerlach.blogspot.com/

I think the problem lies with the genre. I've read some pretty bad Christian books--not for the Christianity--they were just badly written. I have also read books that were not labled as Christian but had a lot of it in the book and they were great. My own book is not a Christian book but my encounters with God run all through the book and it gets rave reviews. Doing it that way as many writers do, makes people enjoy the book but not feel that religion is being shoved down their throats. It's simply incorporated into the story.

Micki Peluso

I understand the sentiment, as well, Martha. I also try to write to the general market; however, from a Christian worldview. At the risk of sounding like I'm just marketing you, you might take a look at www.brucejudisch.com/katia.htm for an example. It's been well received by both Christian and secular book clubs.

I suggest you check out novels from Oaktara, www.Oaktara.com.  Oaktara is intentionally publishing works that are inspirational, but not your usual religious novels.  They seek to publish works that appeal to secular and nonsecular audiences.  Burce Judisch below is one of their authors as am I.  You can see my works under L.D. Alford at Oaktara or at www.ldalford.com.  I think you will find Bruce and my fiction compelling, well written, and fun to read.

Christian Fiction is just a term.  I think books picked should be picked because the reader was intrigued by the synopsis or tag line.  The LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE books were not considered 'Christian' and yet they all had the underlining principals and scriptures used throughout.  

I appreciate a good story without foul language, without detailed sex, or gore, and yet be exciting enough to draw me away from my world and dive into the authors world.  I find there are some great 'Christian Fiction' writers out there.  Think about stepping outside of the box and take a chance on new authors breaking into a tough business.  :-)  I'd love to join and I'm up for a new read.  

Shelly

I'm not surprised. Although I was inspired to write "Littluns" for both secular and Christian readers (everybody), I had a huge wake-up call when the novel was, for the most part, ignored by everyone.

At least in part, Christians had a huge impact on such novels as "Harry Potter," The “Twilight” series, Dan Brown’s books, and many others who would have everyone believe that there is good and bad evil, which any thinking person knows is not possible. I wanted “Littluns” to be a very different reading experience and that’s what I did with all praise to God.

Change being the essential process for all existence, someday the tide will turn and people’s tastes and interests will change with it.

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service