Mail-Order Refuge is FREE on Kindle this month. Get it now!! Link Above 

Pamela is also giving away this cookbook

ABOUT AUTHOR: PAMELA EWEN: After practicing law for twenty-five years in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen exchanged her partnership in the law firm of BakerBotts, L.L.P. for a full time writing career. She now lives in Mandeville, Louisiana.  Her most recent novel Chasing the Wind, published by B&H Publishing Group in Nashville, was released on August 1, 2012

Pamela is the author of five books published by B&H Publishing Group, including Faith on Trial (a non-fiction book of apologetics in 1999), and the novels Walk Back the Cat, recently re-released in 2010 with a new title as Secret of the Shroud in connection with a rare public exhibition of the Shroud in Turin, Italy, The Moon in the Mango Tree, (2008) ( a 2009 Christy Award Finalist), Dancing on Glass (2011) ( a 2012 Christy Award Finalist, and winner of a Single Titles Reviewers Choice Award. )The Moon in the Mango Tree was also recently honored as winner of the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award given by the National League of American Pen Women in their Biennial Celebration.

Pamela’s  fiction writing grows out of her faith journey which eventually resulted in her non-fiction book of apologetics, Faith on Trial , published by B&H in 1999.  Although written for non-lawyers, together with Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ, Faith On Trial was chosen as a text for a course on law and religion at Yale Law School in the spring of 2000. Pamela is also featured in the  film Jesus:Fact or Fiction produced by Campus Crusade for Christ. An updated second edition of Faith on Trial containing a new study guide is scheduled for release by B&H  in the fall of 2013.

While practicing law Pamela served on the board of directors of Inprint, Inc., a non-profit organization supporting the literary arts in Houston, Texas. Pamela has also served on the board of directors of the New Orleans Pirate’s Alley Faulkner Society and she is currently a member of the Board of Directors of The Tennessee Williams Festival in New Orleans. In 2007 she co-founded the Northshore Literary Society. Pamela received the St. Tammany Parish President’s Arts Award as Literary Artist of the Year in 2009.  

ABOUT CHASING THE WIND:At 8:47 A.M. on Wednesday, October 12, 1977, new-to-town businessman Bingham Murdock flew his small plane into New Orleans, banking it in such a way that a ray of sunshine shot through the city at light speed.

Amalise Catoir saw the flash from her sixteenth floor law office window. Finally feeling alive after the death of her abusive husband, she imagined seeing the plane was a fate for her eyes only; a special connection between the unknown giver and she, the recipient of light.

But someone else saw it, a six-year-old Cambodian refugee in foster care for whom a sudden burst of brightness reminds him of artillery fire.

Destined to cross paths with the man and the child, Amalise doesn’t yet know the deeper spiritual lesson she will learn: that we are responsible not only for the things we do, but also for the things that we don’t.

MANDATORY PLEASE ANSWER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TO BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING.

First question - How many of you have ever been to Mardi Gras? There is a surprise inside a Mardi Gras king cake. It's a tiny plastic baby doll. Whoever gets the slice with the baby has to throw then next king cake party. If you've been have any of you gotten the doll? DId you have to throw the next King Cake Party? If so how did that work out?

Second question: In Chasing the Wind Amalse Catoir is a young woman lawyer practicing in New Orleans. The first thing she had to tackle was getting a credit card. Women couldn't get them then w/o a male co-signer. What do you think the hardest thing women have to face today?

Third question: How many of you have ever been to New Orleans? What did you like best about your visit? What surprised you? Any of you want to go but haven't? What do you want to see there?

Fourth question: Pamela is giving away a cook book that features food favorites from  New Orleans? Any of you eaten food that's a favorite amongst the people who live in or visit New Orleans? If not what is your favorite type of food? What about it makes you think of New Orleans?

********DISCLAIMEREntering the give away is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the entered in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws. Void where prohibited; odds of winning depend on number of entrants.

This giveaway event is open to USA & Canada Residents Only!! This giveaway is no way affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.

Winners will have 3 days to respond to UP-DATE YOUR PROFILE with your mailing information- If we haven't heard from you another winner will be picked. If you have ALREADY UP-DATED your PROFILE to include your mailing information!! You are all SET!! Do nothing!

LAST DAY TO ENTER DRAWING August 30th*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TBCN by September 3rd.

Views: 694

Replies to This Discussion

Q3) I've never been to New Orleans, but would love to visit! I love visiting places with such a long history, and also many varried clutural influences. I haven't researched the area to see what I might want to visit while there. I always check around online before I visit a new place.

I have not visited New Orleans, so I will answer question 2. I think the hardest thing I must do as a woman is trying to take care of everyone - even though my family does not ask me to do this. Something internal makes me into a "mother hen". Then I don't have the energy when my family really needs me. Guess it comes down to trusting God and to stop relying on my own strength. And to choose the important things in life.

Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy of your book!

I think the hardest challenge we women face is  being attractice.  It seems that men can "let themselves go," and it's "acceptable" or, at least, not frowned upon as much.  But, if women "let themselves go," they are lazy, un-disciplined, etc.  Perhaps this "challenge" is all in my mind, but I sense it all the time.  When I go to class reunions, the men have changed more than the women, and many of the men have not changed for the better.  Everyone seems "OK" with it.  If we women were to put on that many pounds, etc., we would be the topic of much negative conversation.

Second question: In Chasing the Wind Amalse Catoir is a young woman lawyer practicing in New Orleans. The first thing she had to tackle was getting a credit card. Women couldn't get them then w/o a male co-signer. What do you think the hardest thing women have to face today?

I think one of the hardest thing a woman faces today is receiving the same pay scale at a job that a male is receiving.  If women can do the job as well as a man, why shouldn't she receive equal pay? 

Also, I think it is harder for a woman's voice to be heard in certain situations.  For instance, not all churches treat woman as a voice to be heard.  A lot of times what a woman has to say doesn't even matter.  Often a woman can't even teach a sunday school class let alone vote in the church. 

I say, it is time to put a stop to a lot of these practices. 

Thank you for this giveaway.  I would be delighted to win your book, Chasing the Wind and a copy of River Road Recipes II, A Second Helping.  I love cookbooks and I have tons of them!

Blessings!

Women today must face very different hardships than in those days.  We have it so much easier as far as freedom in society and being valued, and for that I'm extremely grateful! but I think we have taken on so much in order to have it all and do it all that it's possible can find ourselves with more than we bargained for sometimes.  Women are no longer viewed as 'the weaker sex'  and in shedding that view much is expected of us.  There is much pressure to keep up and life can get complicated and chaotic.  I find some aspects of an old fashioned life appealing, the simplicity, deeper connections to other people that come with the ability to take more time, and the slower pace of daily life.

I have never been to New Orleans, and it has always been somewhere I have wanted to visit!  I eat up  books on the subject and love the style of decor and accents of the people.  Ooooh, and the Creole and Cajun food is one of my favorites!  I would love to go tour old churches and cemeteries and historical sights.  Reading and cooking are my top two favorite things to do, I am so looking forward to reading your books, and checking out your recipes!

Q3 - While I have never been to New Orleans, I have been to a couple Louisiana cities like Baton Rouge and LaFayette. I have never really had a desire to go to New Orleans because I have equated the city with sin and I figured I would get the great food in another city in Louisiana like Baton Rouge. The food would be my main draw there if I did go. A friend of mine went to New Orleans and loved the Beignets - which I never tried but would like to. 

#2...still getting equal pay for the same job and getting a typical male job as a woman. My daughter has qualified 7 times in the written, interview and physical test for a policeman, but hasn't been hired. She's made hired ratings also but they don't want a woman. So, she dispatches, raises 4 boys w hubby and is going to all the college classes (pd by the police) rather than wait till hired and then take the courses. She's determined....

Second Question: The hardest thing women face today is, especially for a single woman or single mom is having to support herself or her family amid all the high rising cost of everything in this country, she also must struggle to put her child or children through school, work and yet me a mom at all times in a world were women are not considered equal in the work place and receives less pay because she is a woman. Also, as I saw one woman had replied concerning social security, she is right. We women don't stand a chance with SS if we are married and it's not really fair. I have worked as a legal secretary and am now disabled yet SS is fighting me tooth and nail just to get what is rightly mine.

I have never been to New Orleans, but I have recently tried and ADORED Low Country Shrimp Boil...I make it for my husband and we eat it about every two weeks now...YUMMY and good for you!!

My favorite type of food is PRODUCE!! I love fresh fruits and vegetables.  We have a small garden and 12 fruit trees.  And when they're not producing we have a produce stand that always has good fresh food to choose from.

My husband and I were in New Orleans many years ago for a week while he was involved in some meetings for work. We did the usual walking the Quarter and such, but the best part of the trip to me was the evening cruise on The President, a paddlewheel, around the harber. It was so peaceful and romantic. It was a really different view of New Orleans.

I'm struggling to find the right way to say this.  There obviously was the time when the woman in the work place and financially independent was the odd one, now it seems like the woman with the stigma is the one who is willing and able to stay at home and raise her children.  It can be difficult for some to get past the being "only" a mom.

Mary Ann - That is so true. But ignore anyone who says that to you--you're doing the toughest, most important job in the world! Pamela Ewen

RSS

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@bookfunmagazine.com

Christians Read Blog

Book Fun Catalog

© 2019   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service