Sponsored by Jean Ann Williams  #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (208 pages):

One mother damaged. One family tested. One daughter determined to find her place.

ClaireLee’s life changes when she must take charge of her siblings after her mother becomes depressed from a difficult childbirth. Frightened by the way Mama sleeps too much and her crying spells during waking hours, ClaireLee just knows she’ll catch her illness like a cold or flu which hangs on through winter. ClaireLee finds comfort in the lies she tells herself and others in order to hide the truth about her erratic mother. Deciding she needs to re-invent herself, she sets out to impress a group of popular girls.

With her deception, ClaireLee weaves her way into the Lavender Girls Club, the most sophisticated girls in school. Though, her best friend Belinda will not be caught with the likes of such shallow puddles, ClaireLee ignores Belinda’s warnings the Lavenders cannot be trusted. ClaireLee drifts further from honesty, her friend, and a broken mother’s love, until one very public night at the yearly school awards ceremony. The spotlight is on her, and she finds her courage and faces the truth and then ClaireLee saves her mother’s life.

Views: 268

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Deana, reading and reviewing Just Claire. I appreciate this very much. :))

“Just Clare” by Jean Ann Williams was a delightful read.  This story centers around Claire who is just a teenager.  Her mother goes through complications after giving birth.  She survives, but just isn’t herself anymore.  Claire has to step up, and take over the role of the mother.   We see the hardships that Claire faces at home and at school.  Claire is also struggling with wanting to be in the popular crowd, yet not wanting to leave her best friend. 

This story was very engaging.  I read it in two days.  I couldn’t wait to find out what happens to Claire and her family, particularly her mother.  I would definitely recommend this book.

"I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review."

I posted reviews on: Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Goodreads.

Thank you, kindly, Diane, for reading and reviewing Just Claire. I'm especially glad you enjoyed the book!

Just Claire by Jean Ann Williams is a wonderful coming-of-age story set a remote village in Northern California in 1960. Claire is a young teen who misses her home and her Nana, having recently moved from Oregon for her father's job. She just wants to have a 'normal' life making new friends and going to school but with the traumatic home birth of her third brother and her mother's subsequent hospitalization, her life is a disaster. Does her father even get how hard it is to care for her four younger siblings? Why can't he just stop calling her "Claire Bear"? Can she get the Lavender girls to accept her friend, Belinda, too? When will Mama be back to normal? There's just too much stress for one thirteen-year-old girl. The author has written a heart-wrenching story of a family in crisis mode and a young girl having to shoulder a mother's responsibilities. As things unfold and the truth is known, there are people who come alongside and help. This is a story of community, of friends, of faith and of family. The characters are great. Lolly, the three-year-old, is adorable. Belinda, Claire's friend, just tells it like it is; "some people are like shallow puddles and... you and me? We ain't that sort." Liam and Grayson, the two brothers are so typical of young boys, always into things and fussing about life in general. The author tells a poignant story, giving what would seem to be the right flavor of the time period and setting, as she brings to the written pages, the unfortunate heartbreaking repercussions that postpartum blues and depression can have on family life. I look forward to reading more from this author.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Book Club network. A favorable review was not required and opinions are my own. I have posted reviews on the following sites: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Deepershopping, Christian Book, Booksamillion, GoodReads, and NetGalley, if available.

Thank you so very much for your review and in all the places you reviewed this book. God bless you, Anne!

Just Claire by Jean Ann Williams is a story about family, friendship, mental illness and its effect on a family. The Monteiro family have temporarily moved for a much-needed job opportunity and their mother is about to give birth. The labor is hard and ends with an emergency trip to the hospital. Claire, the oldest daughter, is left to care for her siblings, not knowing when or if her mother and the baby will return. When they do come home, Claire can tell something is not right. What is wrong with Mama?

This story has a nice flow with believable characters. Themes of love, strength of family, friendship, and community bonds are woven throughout the book. I look forward to reading more work from by this author. I received a copy of the book from the author and The Book Club Network, Inc. in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review.

Review posted on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million and Kobo.

Thank you so much, Vickie, for the review and for all the sites you placed this review! I appreciate you! :))

You're welcome!

RSS

25 KINDLE FIRE HD 8S -GIVEN AWAY BETWEEN SEPTEMBER AND CHRISTMAS

We will be announcing the details on our new promotion, the largest we have ever done:
25 Kindle Fire HD 8s given away between September and Christmas.

Watch for details!

Book Fun Catalog: Find NEW Books Here

Authors pay a fee to be included in this directory. #ad #paid ad

Click HERE for the entire Catalog

Luke the Slave and Physician

By Katheryn Maddox Haddad

Tidewater Summer 

By Jo Huddleston

The Nature Girl

by Karen Whiting

The Snowbound Bride By Davalynn Spencer

Chapel Springs Revival

By Ane Mulligan

We will be linking book covers here for a small fee. Contact Fred@bookfunmagazine.com for more information.

Christians Read Blog

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@thebookclubnetwork.com

© 2017   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service