Book Cover

Man Quest

By Mike McCormick

Transforming boys into men of courage, honor and integrity.Just about every culture teaches their young boys what it means to be a man, except Western society. Most men have an innate hunger to teach boys the true essence of manhood but just don’t know where to start or what to say. Man Quest provides a perfect starting point for an adult man to engage a son (or mentee) in the most pivotal discussion of his life – what it truly means to be a man.

Man Quest puts a step-by-step approach to transforming boys into men of courage, honor and integrity into the hands of fathers and male mentors. With biblical wisdom and practical advice, Mike McCormick has captured six essential "Guideposts" designed to bring fathers and sons together on a life-changing spiritual quest. Dads (or mentors) work through interactive questions, movie nights, and creative activities with boys. Man Quest concludes with Rugged Truths Every Man Must Know – a dose of tough love that pulls no punches. Hands-on help, teaching tips, and complete agendas for celebration weekends make the journey to manhood fulfilling... and fun!

Phred: "I read this workbook and highly recommend it." 

Mike McCormick asks us a question for this week and the winners of 10 of the work books will be chosen out of these discussions by him before the end of the month. More importantly, this is a question I can't wait to see the answers to!

Question: There's never been a more difficult & dangerous time to be a teenager in our society.  How should we best equip our teens to make the successful journey into adulthood?

The winners are:

WinterRose

Laura Pol

Jennifer Fromke

Carla Swerman

Cheri Swalwell

Angela Riley

Living for God

Sherri Myers

Debbie Taulman

Tima Murell

Congratulations and thank you all for participating.

There is a review in this month's magazine by the way, written by the Passionate Spouse column. 

Views: 512

Replies to This Discussion

Amen....that open door is so huge.  We need to be available to our kids and create that safe environment so they will.

I'm a mom, not a father, but I feel the most important first step should be prayer.  Dedicating our sons to God when they were babies and then continuing to bring them before God and asking for His wisdom on how to shape them with the right balance of intregrity, courage, responsibility, sense of purpose, and strong work ethic.  I am slowly learning how to show our oldest son, who is on the cusp of teenagerhood, that I believe in his abilities, respect his decisions, and trust his judgment - not just for the decisions he makes for himself but also for suggestions he contributes to our family.  I want him to feel like a vital part of our family, not an outsider but a valued, productive member.  By learning how to treat him, it has a ripple affect on his three-year-old brother.  I am learning how to show my youngest also how I value his input, his choices, and how much his contributions mean to the family as well.

I think my husband is a great role model for our boys - he has a quiet strength about him.  He knows who he is (both in God and in himself), he is willing to listen and take others advice, but he also has a strong sense of self and has the ability to stand up for what is right, even when it's opposite what the world thinks is correct. 

Thank you for this opportunity.  Teaching a child to be an adult in today's society is difficult.  Teaching a boy to be an man seems even harder, especially with my female, nurturing personality.   

In Him,

Cheri :)

Cheri, Your husband sounds like a wonderful man of God.

What do you and he think about "rights of passage" say from boy to man... it does seem that there used to be more made of this delineation. 

Jewish people have a Bar Mitzvah  (coming of age) 

I am Native American (part of me... ) and there were rituals that our family recognized, even if we didn't know where they came from.

It seems that there is no real, clear transition.

Even girls growing into women. There used to be rituals, it was clear to all that a daughter was becoming a woman.

What do we need to do today to make a big thing about this in our society?  

Wow....this is so good.  Honoring your teenage son is the key and you hit the nail on the head.  A mom's relationship with her son will naturally change as he ages.  It's often difficult for moms to allow for that relationship to change.  A teenager needs to know that his parents think he is great and he has the ability to get things done.  This belief goes a long way.  You are giving your teenage son such an amazing gift.  While it's great that your husband has a quiet strength to give.....I would encourage him to be intentional about his relationship with your son.  Every boy needs to learn what it means to be a man and to enter manhood with a roadmap.  Intentional dads create men.  There are so many negative influences out there speaking at our young men that a dad needs to raise his voice and take his boy on a Man Quest journey. 

Being open and honest about our take and beliefs on worldly matters, having discussions to help them latch onto what they feel and believe. Allowing them to identify their convictions and practicing to live and articulate them and most importantly a personal relationship with our Creator and Biblical truths to draw from.

Thanks Kimberly....I totally agree with your assessment.  I find that one of the most important things I can do as a parent is to openly share my heart with my kids.  Sharing my ups and downs and ins and outs in life is powerful.  It helps them to know I am not perfect and that life is a journey.  Most importantly, by being honest about my failures it communicates how much I am in need of a savior.  Well said! 

Interestingly enough, when I married I gained 3 bonus children, we were blessed with 2 more over the years and due to their age separation we will have been raising teenagers for 26 straight years before we launch our last one into the world...God sure has lots to teach us along the way. :)

I think we should model Christ-like behavior, such as serving others, being protective of women, dying to ourselves. Would love to have the book!

Agreed....dying to ourselves is a day by day and moment by moment process.  More of God & less of me is the only way to experience the "life to the full" that Jesus spoke about.  When my heart is open and selfless my wife and kids feel the difference and I bless those around me!

I agree with you! If we keep our eyes off ourselves and think of others (spouse) things really work out very well. We should be willing to give our all for HIM!!!!!. When Christ is the head in the home everything is much better. When the children grow up with this. The Lord says they will not depart from it.

The list for the "Grace Like Rain" contests are posted in those discussions. 

This one is just getting started! :-)

I think showing your kids love goes a long ways. My sons still age 30  and 34 tell me they love me and hugs and kiss  me they don't care who is around. Not to say they did get a spanking when it was deserved. But I would always say it hurts me as much as it does you. Cause  I would have tears when I did it. They didn't like to see me cry so they behaved.  I always told the I corrected them because I loved them so now today they have wee ones and they are saying the same thing. God says you don't love them if you don't correct them.

RSS

Book Fun Catalog: Find Great Books Here

Click HERE for the entire Catalog

Stolen: The True Story of a Sex Trafficking Survivor (by Katariina Rosenblatt, PhD with Cecil Murphey)

Gatehaven

By Molly Noble Bull

Chapel Springs Revival

By Ane Mulligan

We will be linking book covers here for a small fee. Contact Fred@bookfunmagazine.con for more information.

Download Our Toolbar

Find your favorite Links in one place! Download TBCN Toolbar and help support us!

Get our toolbar!

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Voting for November 2014 TBCN Fiction Book of the Month

Voting for November 2014 TBCN NONFICTION BOOK OF THE MONTH

Notes

Welcome

Created by Fred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Fred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@thebookclubnetwork.com

© 2014   Created by Fred St Laurent.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service