Sponsored by Anne Greene   #ad

ABOUT THE BOOK (308 pages):

DESPITE THE DANGER
At a time when most people in American have never flown in an airplane, spunky Mandy McCabe test-pilots repaired war planes as part of the Women Air Force Service Pilots. If the Army Air Corp shuts down the WASP program, she must return to life in her hard-scrabble home and face her past.

DESPITE THE OPPOSITION
Army Air Corp Major Harvey Applegate lost his WASP wife test-piloting planes and doesn’t want any more women killed on his watch. He fights to close the WASP program. Women aren’t designed to fight wars. Men fight to protect women freedom, and the American way of life.

DESPITE THE RAGING WAR
This World War II romance shows Steel Magnolias meeting Band of Brothers. Can Mandy escape from her past? Can a man burdened with memories of death agree to added danger for the new woman in his life? Will their new love survive the test of opposing desires and the pain and separation of war?

Views: 227

Replies to This Discussion

I love talking with my readers. If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to talk with you.

So far all my readers have fallen in love with my hero! Please let me know if you do as well.

#5 Ebook

EB, 10 weeks. Thanks!

#6 Ebook

I would love to review. 3 weeks. MOBI format if possible

#7 Ebook

e book  10 weeks

#8 Ebook

ebook and can read/review within a few days of receiving,

Thanks

Julie

EB. 12 weeks

Angel with Steel Wings by Anne Greene Liked the idea of the storyline and within a chapter we were looking up information about Camp Davis as we had not heard of it. Which also got us to look up the WASP, women pilot program to see what it was all about. Mandy is stationed at Camp Davis, NC and she helps fly repair planes and other jobs. She loves being in the air and knows her machines. The women have been grounded and they gather together and Mandy is the one who might be able to change all that for them by becoming flirty with the Major. She reads her Bible daily and often calls on God for more assistance. They meet for a blind date and she learns many things about him, his deceased wife and their son. At one tim she helps babysit for the handicap boy and they bond. Major even takes her up as a co pilot in a new plane to her so she can learn about it. He might have the solution to getting the women back up in the air again-it would mean she has to relocate and be away from that Camp....her goal is to get the knowledge and time behind the wheel in order to buy half of the home local airport system. He has his own dilemmas to find solutions for as he knows he will be in the war in a few months time. Love how he becomes a child of God. Parts I like are just learning about the women pilots and the Camp, planes, mysteries surrounding the ailing plane crashes, her bond with the boy and straight forward language used-kinda threw me for a bit. Like how story follows Mandy and also Harvey as he travels overseas-seeing things for the very first time. Loved parts where they talk of felling the trees and later teaching her which trees and birds they were looking at. Love career choices, romance, travel, action, praying to God, adventure and mysteries-a bit of something for everyone. I was given the book by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review.

Posted reveiws to: Goodreads, Amazon, Library Thing,
Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google,
my blog: http://jbarrett5.blogspot.com/2017/02/book-review-angel-with-steel-...
Linkedin, B&N, Booklikes, The Book Club Network

Anne I am so sorry but in looking for info on some of my e books I found that I won this book in Feb 1015. Read and reviewed. Is it too late for you to give this great book to someone else?

ANGEL WITH STEEL WINGS is a well-written story that takes the reader into the skies of the 1940s with Mandy McCabe, a Women Air Force Service Pilot (WASP).

Mandy is tired of being treated like a child by her domineering, hillbilly father. Though he wants the best for her, she doesn't want to remain at her dad's junkyard. She doesn't want to marry early and start raising a houseful of babies as everyone expects her to do, or to continue living her stagnant life. She dreams of becoming a pilot and half-owner in a business. She wants to serve her country during a time when the contributions of women are undervalued. So Mandy runs off to become a civilian pilot. She excels at flying any kind of war plane. Mandy, because of her perceived fearlessness is put in the unenviable position of trying to convince Major Harvey Applegate to use his influence to save the WASP program.

Major Harvey Applegate has a lot on his plate. His WASP wife died in a plane crash and left him to raise their young, special-needs son, so he doesn't appreciate his commanding officer's request to keep an eye on the outspoken, feisty woman pilot, Mandy McGabe, especially when they start out on the wrong foot.

Angel with Steel Wings is well-researched, which is important to me. The story held my attention from the first page.Through the characters, I experienced the fears, hardships, and joys of male and female pilots during WWII. I also appreciate the way the author brought the characters to true faith in an organic, non-preachy way.

I received an electronic copy of this book from Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review, and have posted this review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Goodreads.

This is the first book that I have read by this author and it will not be my last. The author writes a story that captures the period during WWII with accuracy. I learned many things about the war and especially about the WASPS. This group of women have courage, loyalty and love for their country. The author has given us very strong female characters and I could not put this book down.

Mandy has taken on the task of testing war planes that have been repaired. It is a dangerous job but she has confidence that she can do it. Not everyone believes that women should be pilots and in the story it is very evident that someone is out to sabotage the mission. Who wants to hurt members of the WASP? I loved Mandy's spunk and her desire to be the best pilot she could.The story is so well written that I felt like I was in the cockpit with Mandy as she did maneuvers . I could hear the roar of the engine as she raced across the sky and saw the determination on her face as she came in for a landing. Will Mandy be allowed to fly missions ?

Major Harvey Applegate is a strong character and I loved reading about his son. Harvey is not very accepting of Mandy when he finds out she is a pilot. They do clash at times and makes the story very realistic. I can't imagine what it must have been like during wartime knowing that as you fly your plane, danger surrounds you. Why does Harvey have misgivings about the WASP? I loved how the author showed the characters calling out to God during trying times and depended on Him as they flew missions.

The story takes us inside the war and gives a vivid picture of what it was like for the men and women who served. As Mandy and Harvey start to have feelings, the threat of one of them being called up for a mission is imminent. Will Harvey share his feelings with Mandy before it is to late? Can Mandy trust God to keep her and Harvey safe? This is one story that I didn't want to end. The characters are brilliantly written and the story is so engrossing you can't put it down. I can't wait to get my hands on another book by this author .

I received a copy of this book from the author and The BookClub Network. The review is my own opinion.
https://www.librarything.com/work/19229325/book/139883264
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1944899191?book_show_action=f...
http://deana0326.blogspot.com/2017/03/angel-with-steel-wings-by-ann...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3F86MBOF8IDV3/ref=cm_cr...

The following review has been posted on Goodreads, Amazon and Barnes and Noble, also our Facebook and my Google+ pages. Thanks so much!

I really enjoyed ‘Angel with Steel Wings’! There are several elements that make it interesting. It includes a bit of espionage, fighting in WWII Europe, romance, and women learning to do what they really enjoy, all during a time that changed America. Faith in the Lord is woven through the fabric of it. This the first book I have read by Anne Greene and it will not be the last.

Mandy is from the Appalachians, a large family with hillbilly ways. She wanted to pilot airplanes when most people hadn’t yet been passengers. It is her picture of freedom, and the WASP (Women’s Air Force Service Pilot) program was her ticket out of the Hollow. As Civil Service employees instead of military, the pay was low, but she could do she felt most alive doing. Mandy also could get the number of required flying hours and accrue savings to be a partner in the flying school she had attended.

Women test-flew planes returned from battles or just repaired, giving them opportunity to fly several different models. It was on Friday the 13th when Mandy met Major Harvey Applegate, who was angry that she flew through weather conditions that soon grounded them. Mandy was trying to find a WASP who went missing. She thought him arrogant, among other things. He wasn’t interested in any women, especially sassy WASPs. Just Mandy’s luck, her bunk mate Doreen and her boyfriend set Mandy up with a blind date – the major. Not fun for either of them!

They grew to work together. Mandy heard about his six year old son, Teddy, and sometimes babysat him after the nanny’s work day. She learned that Harvey lost his wife in the WASP program, and it was his goal to end the program. They begin a friendship based on mutual respect as well as their love for Teddy. What would happen when Harvey went to Europe was a mystery, as most pilots didn’t return.

We get to know Mandy and Harvey in depth; Mandy’s friend Doreen and her engineer Nate are next in line. All other characters are defined as necessary for their roles. It was through Doreen that Mandy learned gratitude for much of what she ran away from in the Hollow. Harv prioritizes his son Teddy more than almost everything except the demands of the military. It is through Teddy that Mandy learns about being a curious child as they go for walks near the woods.

I found the plot interesting. It shows something about a few women during World War II than I was not aware of; I had no idea that many women not only flew new and test planes or planes towing targets. There are some things that Mandy is either protecting her heart from or acts immaturely about. In many ways I do understand her, and respect her courage in doing the work she loves. There are plot twists, a few anticipated and some very surprising. I love the alpaca farm; it would be hard to leave there!

My favorite part is the love story between the Lord and Harv, then at his prompting Mandy examined her love story with the Lord. It is the first time I remember seeing The Roman Road so clearly written. It took unique courage for Harv to share his new birth in Christ with Mandy, the courage of a man who doesn’t know if he will return from the war and wants his lady friend to come to faith. I highly recommend ‘Angel with Steel Wings’ to those who appreciate Christian fiction set during World War II or Christian romances.

From a grateful heart: I was given this eBook by Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and here is my honest review.

RSS

Book Fun Catalog: Find NEW Books Here

Authors pay a fee to be included in this directory. #ad #paid ad

Click HERE for the entire Catalog

Luke the Slave and Physician

By Katheryn Maddox Haddad

Tidewater Summer 

By Jo Huddleston

The Nature Girl

by Karen Whiting

The Snowbound Bride By Davalynn Spencer

Chapel Springs Revival

By Ane Mulligan

We will be linking book covers here for a small fee. Contact Fred@bookfunmagazine.com for more information.

Download Our Toolbar

Find your favorite Links in one place! Download TBCN Toolbar and help support us!

Get our toolbar!

New Member Orientation

We are posting videos here in the this group to help all of our members figure out how to use this site :-)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

We will be posting videos all the time now, basically going through the entire site. 

Notes

Welcome

Created by Phred St Laurent May 27, 2010 at 11:35pm. Last updated by Phred St Laurent May 31, 2010.

Videos

• Add Videos

Contact TBCN

If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to contact us here:

Email me:

Fred@thebookclubnetwork.com

Contest 8/30/2016

1) Go Here, Join the group and leave a comment on the latest video (watch it first) 

2) Go Here Join this group Answer the questions in that discussion after looking through the study?

Email me at fred@bookfunmagazine.com 

Tell me what you completed.

Winners will be notified, here, during the chat the 3rd Monday of September which is the 19th

© 2017   Created by Phred St Laurent.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service